The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sixth Sense 3 by Hugo Shelley (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4148 Posts

Profile of videoman
Have owned and used Scan 3D, SS3, and now Flux.
My personal favorite is Flux. But there is not a significant difference between them IMO. They're all reasonably similar in size and sensitivity.
If you prefer having a separate receiver, then Scan 3D is your choice. If you prefer an app to control some of the variables, then SS3 is your choice.
If you prefer getting the same functionality for $100 less, then Flux is your choice.

No question that the PM products are going to give you 1000 times better customer service. Hugo Shelley seems to vanish for long periods of time.

If you own any one of the 3 there is no great reason to buy another.
Brett has been touting the speed of Flux but honestly I have never felt the other 2 were in any way slow, so that is a moot point IMO.
S3D and SS3 are rechargeable. Flux uses 2 small, inexpensive batteries that are easy to change. I have no preference on the battery issue.

The biggest difference is price.
I do like the haptic feedback of Flux, but I prefer the housing of both SS3 and S3D. The finger shell with Flux needs some improvement IMO. I like the idea of it but the actual product needs further work and if I know Craig, it will continue to be improved. I currently use Flux removed from the finger shell and wrapped in flesh tape. I prefer to finger palm the device while others prefer having it attached to their wrist or something similar.

I never had issues of S3D becoming magnetized but others have said that they have and fortunately SS3 and Flux have seemed to solve that problem.

So again, they all do the job pretty much equally well. The biggest difference is cost.
If you already have one you are happy with then stick with it. If you are in the market for one then Flux is the one I would recommend, followed by SS3 and S3D in that order. But you really can't go wrong with any of them.
Craig333
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Craig333
Nice Review Videoman I kinda thought they would all be much the same tbh but for me being in the UK ss3 at £220 was prob less than Flux which would have been $199 plus shipping and UK customs tax

so I guess being in the US or the UK needs to be taken into account if you're going on price alone

Quote:
On Dec 29, 2018, Psyfl wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2018, Craig333 wrote:
Be interested in your results Psyfl as I was toying with flux or ss3 but opted for ss3 because basically there seemed to be only one person on here singing the praise of flux and I could be wrong but I think he was given it to beta test.

came today and this thing is awesome it even picks up my unique £1 - 50p coin when I tap the hand with my finger and the range on a magnet is ridiculously good so cheers Café I read a lot more than I post but you guys rock Smile

Out of curiosity did you receive an extra button with your SS3.0? I only ask because the PDF file on Hugo's website states that an extra button is included just in case the button wears out, but I noticed that I didn't receive one (not that it matters too much).

no extra button mate.
Psyfl
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Psyfl
Quote:
Nice Review Videoman I kinda thought they would all be much the same tbh but for me being in the UK ss3 at £220 was prob less than Flux which would have been $199 plus shipping and UK customs tax

so I guess being in the US or the UK needs to be taken into account if you're going on price alone

Quote:
On Dec 29, 2018, Psyfl wrote:
Quote:
Be interested in your results Psyfl as I was toying with flux or ss3 but opted for ss3 because basically there seemed to be only one person on here singing the praise of flux and I could be wrong but I think he was given it to beta test.

came today and this thing is awesome it even picks up my unique £1 - 50p coin when I tap the hand with my finger and the range on a magnet is ridiculously good so cheers Café I read a lot more than I post but you guys rock Smile

Out of curiosity did you receive an extra button with your SS3.0? I only ask because the PDF file on Hugo's website states that an extra button is included just in case the button wears out, but I noticed that I didn't receive one (not that it matters too much).

no extra button mate.

I assume that the extra button was removed from later shipments then, presumably because they decided it wasn't necessary. Thanks for letting me know.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2459 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Does anyone know which company has the strongest magnetic US quarter ?

Yes, I know that half dollars are stronger. But, I prefer to borrow a quarter and switch vs. using a half which most people do not carry.
I obviously care more about the magnetic field flux distance / range through the back of a hand vs. the actual attractive power of the magnet to metal or another magnet to trigger SS3.

Thoughts ?

Johnson, Tango ? etc. for a magnetic US quarter ?
Long Island,

New York
Santi
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Santi
Can the SS3 be opened to change the battery?
Psyfl
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Psyfl
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2018, Santi wrote:
Can the SS3 be opened to change the battery?

There are certainly no instructions on how to do that or any mention of it being a possibility (unlike Hugo's Insight product which advertises replaceable battery as a feature), so I would say no.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3315 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2018, Expertmagician wrote:
Does anyone know which company has the strongest magnetic US quarter ?

Yes, I know that half dollars are stronger. But, I prefer to borrow a quarter and switch vs. using a half which most people do not carry.
I obviously care more about the magnetic field flux distance / range through the back of a hand vs. the actual attractive power of the magnet to metal or another magnet to trigger SS3.

Thoughts ?

Johnson, Tango ? etc. for a magnetic US quarter ?

I can safely say that you will be fine with any current magnetic quarter. I use quarters from Roy Keuppers and they work great. I have an old relatively weak quarter made by Eddie Gibson and I can still read that through the back of a hand. That is with SS3 but assume that FLUX will be the same in that regard.

Santi, I have opened the case for SS3 because I am curious but don't think an average person would DIY anything inside. I have been using my SS3 pretty regularly for close to a year and a half with no signs of any battery issues so anticipate it lasting a long time. To be honest I will probably lose it before the battery gives out Smile

Great review videoman, thanks.

John
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
879 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
If anyone finds out a solution to the button issue, please let me know! I’ve thought about putting my own button in there or something.. Because it really is awful to turn on and off!
UBT (UNDERGROUND BOTTOM TEAR) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Psyfl
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Psyfl
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2018, TheDirectionalist wrote:
If anyone finds out a solution to the button issue, please let me know! I’ve thought about putting my own button in there or something.. Because it really is awful to turn on and off!

I find it easy to press the button just by making sure to use the tip of the finger, but then again I think my fingers are particularly small.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2459 Posts

Thanks...I have not heard of Roy Keuppers coins before.
Long Island,

New York
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Does a coin come with SS3 or FLUX?
Psyfl
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Psyfl
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2019, Philippe wrote:

No, you will have to get a magnetic coin separately.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10459 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:

You are wrong. I guarantee SS3 is quite inferior in terms of the technology used.

Promystic invented/developed the original technology. If you don’t own Flux, you will never know what you missed. Oh well.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2459 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 1, 2019, Psyfl wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2019, Philippe wrote:

No, you will have to get a magnetic coin separately.

That is why I was asking about which magnetic quarters work best and have the largest range through the back of someone's hand.
Long Island,

New York
Yepski
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Yepski
I have the Tango Magic magnetic quarter and it works great through the hands and for heads/tails identification
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3315 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2019, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:

You are wrong. I guarantee SS3 is quite inferior in terms of the technology used.

Promystic invented/developed the original technology. If you don’t own Flux, you will never know what you missed. Oh well.

Brett, with utmost respect I am struggling to fairly understand how FLUX is that much better? How is the SS3 technology inferior? These strong statements feel a little hollow without facts to illustrate the claims. I have no doubt that FLUX is a good product, just don't know why the slam on Sixth Sense which has proven to be a solid product. You used to use Sixth Sense prior to SCAN 3D and spoke highly of it then. I trust your opinions Brett but this feels a little unfair.
Psyfl
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Psyfl
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2019, J M Talbot wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2019, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:

Brett, with utmost respect I am struggling to fairly understand how FLUX is that much better? How is the SS3 technology inferior? These strong statements feel a little hollow without facts to illustrate the claims. I have no doubt that FLUX is a good product, just don't know why the slam on Sixth Sense which has proven to be a solid product. You used to use Sixth Sense prior to SCAN 3D and spoke highly of it then. I trust your opinions Brett but this feels a little unfair.

I agree that Brett's statements are too strong. There are advantages and disadvantages to both devices.
Oil&Water
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Oil&Water
Brett appears to be Craig’s best mate according to my assumptions on my limited time on here. Brett even voted for his own svenpads on the best trick of 2018 thread, what a joke lol Olly
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1748 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
What you need to understand is that unlike other people,
Promystic is custom made components

Everyone else uses off the shelf components

This and the Excellent Customer Service put Craig way above everyone else
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1720 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
I've been using my Sixth Sense 3 on a Daily basis for the last half year and it's efficient, reliable and very good for the price.
Get yourself the Flap Cards guide : http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4435

Make sure to check my review website, new reviews coming every week ! http://lesavisdalexis.wix.com/reviews
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Sixth Sense 3 by Hugo Shelley (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL