The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cryptghost
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Cryptghost
Hello

I am a 40 year old amateur novice to the scene, I have always enjoyed watching magic, but never learnt it until now and I am loving it. I am mainly learning mentalism magic, so I am reading many posts on this site and also the classics like 13 steps to Mentalism, Peak Performances, Practical Mental Magic and also working my way through bob Cassidys 39 steps to mentalism.

I have never spent so much time in my local office supply store since starting all of this.

Anyway I am sure you will see me asking some really stupid questions.

Thanks all and hello from London,

Richard
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Cryptghost,

Come on in, the water's fine. You'll be glad you decided to become a part of the Magic world and of the Café.

I know what you mean about office supply stores. If you find something you like/need for a trick, stock up. Things I thought were always available seem to go missing all the time now.

-Mary Mowder
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Welcome Cryptghost!

Some of my favorite magic memories are making my own props from books. The first discovery is finding an effect that one likes. The second discovery is finding the method for making that effect work. And the third discovery is realizing you can make the prop yourself. It doesn't get much better than that!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Bob777
View Profile
New user
Norfolk, England
27 Posts

Profile of Bob777
Hello Cryptghost,

Welcome. Oh yes, the amount of time that we spend in 'office supplies' or just generally looking anywhere for something that may be useful in a magic way! I too am fairly new to the Café but have found it very valuable particularly other magicians' opinions on effects and pronciples.

Enjoy.
Magic is a hook on which you hang your personality
Cryptghost
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Cryptghost
Thank you Mary Mowde,Wizard of Oz and Bob777 for your fantastic welcome, I have bought loads recently from our local office supply, but loving every minute of it, I am loving the predictions, I am looking for the cleanest prediction mentalist possible, I hope to speak to you more again soon!!!
mr_misdirection
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of mr_misdirection
Welcome Richard,
I've been a member since 2005 but never posted until recently as I'm what you would call a traditionalist in that I prefer actual conversations. However, I've always thought this place to be a great resource full of knowledge and have started to actually use it to conversate.

I'm so glad to read you are learning from books (13 Steps, what a great book) and not £30 a time tricks, which take their principles from yes you've guessed it books.

I've recently obtained over 75 books for my collection, most of which are pre 1960's. I remember the days of having to pester my parents for books, thank goodness I did as that is how I built my knowledge.

Enjoy your magic.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Welcome Richard!

Lots of fantastic folks here that can give you great advice and pointers on mentalism. I too have been leaning toward mental effects, though my first love is card effects.

I'm a DIY guy too -- always on the look out for things to buy at the dollar store! And the office supply stores too of course!

Welcome again! I look forward to future discussion with you in the mentalism threads! Have fun!

Phil
Cryptghost
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Cryptghost
Thanks for all the kind words, I look forward to speaking to you all soon
Cryptghost
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Cryptghost
I just wanted to add that I am just starting my journey into Mentalism, although I am in my early 40s. I know a lot of people here started when they were young kids, I loved watching magic when I was a kid, but I never performed it. It has only been recently that I got a bug to really learn the art. I am not sure where this journey is taking me, but I am enjoying working my way through Bob Cassidy's 39 Steps. I am also really enjoying talking and reading discussions on this site.

But my question is, am I too old to be starting this? I will admit that I do feel a little intimidated by people who have been practicing the arts for decades. I would really appreciate your thoughts and guidance,

all the best

Richard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL