The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tricking the Brain by Joel Dickinson (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2563 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

Ive had a read at this once already.

Will review it tonight with thoughts.

Alex Alejandro
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Just as a note this thread is now on page 2
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2563 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Thanks Duster.

OK so here it goes my review:

I have been a fan of Joel's for quite awhile now.

I have known Joel and we have chatted and when he told me he was doing a new book, I asked for his paypal, and paid him to be able to have a pre-release copy.

Well I just got it in, and read it, cover to cover.

I like it, it has a lot of good things in it. Something for everyone.

There are a few things I wont use, or it wasnt necessarily my style, but I will go over the routines briefly, since Jamie already beat me to it above.

I See Dead People

Joel's take on the whole Living and Dead Test, and this is sooooooooooooo easy to perform, that you will be doing it after reading it, its that simple, you do need to know one move, but it is something that almost all beginners learn at some point or another in card magic, so it shouldnt be difficult.

This can play closeup, at a dinner party, parlour, even on stage.

One of my favorites, not my favorite, but one of them from this release, and gets a solid 9/10

Fruitful

In the trailer you saw Scott Pepper perform this, and I really like the revelation at the end. Packs small plays big. Easy to do, and easy to prepare as well.
You will be doing this at some point or another during one of your shows, I know I am.

Solid 9.5/10 due to some preparation or arts and crafts required, but other than that, that's it.
P.S. You also need to buy something if you don't already have it, that is inexpensive, unless you already have a method for this.......dont want to say too much, but those who know understand what I mean. You can always use PATXX. Just saying.

The Bank Job

A banknight type routine.........I skimmed it, never really liked bank night type routines, so I cant tell you much about this one, you can read Jamie's review up top, since this isn't my cup of tea

Calibrate Outdone

Some will like this, some will not, but its clever thinking, and you can perform this on stage or close up, and divine information from your spectators.
Good, I rate it 8/10. Not sure I will use it though.

I will skip some over, and tell you about my favorite effect from the book, Mind the Stage.

A mixture between Ted K thinking and Mark Elsdon thinking. Genious, genious.

I have used something similar not exactly, but one part of it, before and have fooled the brightest minds with the basic core principle, now in this, Joel has taken it 2 steps further into like a triple prediction type reveal, its nuts.

I will be using this 10/10

I think this book is worth it for 3 reasons:

1) Fruitful
2) Mind the Stage
3) Answers on a Postcard = Answers to questions in essay format that may be on the tip of your tongue, if you are performing shows

For those 3 reasons alone, one should invest in this book.

Even if you only do 1 effect the rest of your life, or for many years or add it to your show, is worth it.

For me, Mind the Stage was worth the price, and Fruitful and I See dead people were just bonuses.

Thanks Joel

Alex Alejandro
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1581 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
Sorry for the delay I’ve been so busy performing and now I’m on a short break.

Thanks a lot for your review, I’m over the moon.
Tricking the Brain is very close to selling out and once it’s gone I really don’t know when it’ll be available again.

Best wishes,

Joel.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Just sent for this & I know it will be excellent & I will use the routines within.

A review will follow after I have received it.

Mike Donoghue
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1581 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot for your support Mike, as always I appreciate it.
It’s on its way and I really look forward to your review.

After my lecture at Minds Convention I sold a heap and I only have around twenty copies left.
Once it’s sold out I don’t know when I will be getting Tricking the Brain reprinted.
As soon Tricking The Brain has sold out it’ll instantly be unavailable from tadaa.co.uk

Cheers all,

Joel
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
I am half way through this book & it's really good.

Actually, that's a lie IT IS FANTASTIC.

Joel's last book was brilliant BUT I like this even more.

No wonder it's nearly sold out.

There are two of the routines I have read so far & I would say each of them seperately are worth double the price of the book & the other routines are also workers.

Since being a very young magician I have allways had an interest in mentalism( infact at an early age I met the great Maurice Fogel & David Berglas.

Alot of mental magic is very convoluted but Joels is not.

The plots are crystal clear & his methods are surefire & can be done under pressure.

This lad understands how to entertain & you can tell he has put the work in.

One of his routines is not new, BUT what is new is his development of it & the added bits.This is the sign of someone who works ALOT.

A gem of info. which I discovered tthe hard way is "When you do you drawing also.........

You will have to get the book for this ha.

Joel in my opinion will go a long way & will end up being one of magic's legends.

Spoke to him for years but met him this year at Blackpool & spent time with him & he is one of the nicest guys in magic.

I have a lot of respect for this future legend.

Mike Donoghue
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1581 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
Thanks so much Mike Smile

Good news, Tricking the Brain sold out... better news, it is back in stock.

Best wishes,

Joel Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tricking the Brain by Joel Dickinson (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL