The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Looking for help please, one handed magic? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hood
View Profile
Veteran user
328 Posts

Profile of Hood
I am in need of help. I recently (this last monday) had surgery on my left arm and it will be non functional including holding anything in my hand as well for 3 months. I had to cancel all my shows this month but want to keep next months forward. Can anyone recommend effects using only one arm/hand, I have been looking but cannot find that much. Thank you
Derek
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Look up Rene' Lavand. He performed shows with just one hand. I know he has a dvd or 2 out.
Look up "I can' t be done any slower" or something like that. It's an oil and water effect. Brilliant piece of magic.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Hood,

Sorry to hear about your arm and I hope you feel better soon.

Unless you are going to be re-learning some of your current repertoire, one handed, I would suggest you cancel or cover your shows. Your clients will understand and you can't learn new material one handed in time to do (and cart) a full show in one month. This will give them time to find someone else and they are more likely to hire you next year if they need a Magician. Let them know you should be fine by then.
My partner Tom was shot in the arm in 1996 and luckily eventually recovered (largely). He did a lot of thinking and working on one handed Magic (he did not know if he would regain use of his arm below the elbow). While he learned a lot of card technique and other skills, he would not have been able to do a show within a month of working on it (and Tom is quite a creative and capable fellow magically speaking).

Sometimes you just have to let it rest and reflect on the future.

Best of luck in your recovery Derek.

-Mary Mowder
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have a partially written book on such effects called "one Hand Clapping." May have something you can use.

Write me at ken@eversway.com

I gather that you do have a second hand in a sling - some effects can use that to advantage.
Can your fingers hold anything?

Note that the psychological impact on an observer knowing you have only one good hand is different from knowing you only have one hand.
With a hand in a sling or cast the view may be "difficult" rather than impossible.

For example, whta if one new effect becomes a hit. What do you do later when you have both hands? Pretending you have only one good hand fails on several levels.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
RMV
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of RMV
I broke the humerus bone in my shoulder three years ago. Couldn’t move left arm for several months. Have the movement back about 80%. Hand still shakes when doing magic. What I’m finding is that the physical therapist helps with big motions, practicing magic has helped me regain some of the fine tuning. Good luck on one handed! Hope you gain the arm movement back and you are two handed as soon as possible.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Off the top of my head a paddle truck like hot rod
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3509 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Take a look at some of Wayne Dobson’s products he has put out. With his multiple sclerosis, he has put some effective magic out.
Perhaps look at some of Jim Steinmiers Impuzzibilities books
Look in Karl Fulves ‘Self Working’ books... Table Magic; card tricks; mentalism
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Read Mary Mowder's response...and take her advice!
Hood
View Profile
Veteran user
328 Posts

Profile of Hood
I wanted to say thank you for everyone for taking time to respond and for the ideas. I canceled a few more shows but kept a few. I was able to figure out how to do enough of my walk-around set about 6 effects I normally do now just with one arm. So I was able to keep my larger walk around gigs. Again thank you all for your help.
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
Three shell game can be done one handed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Looking for help please, one handed magic? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL