The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Trick inventory software (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
294 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
Not that this will be the end of the discussion, but here is my final opinion (for now Smile )

1. Probably the "best" software out there as it is designed for magicians is "The Magic Database" by HEH Software www.edhasmagic.com. It even tracks your routines in addition to tricks, books, gaffs, etc.

2. My spreadsheet is maybe the easiest solution and allows for sorting, searching, grouping and even finding which trick has what gaff. It acts as a sort of "manufacturing inventory" where you have an effect, but that effect may have several components. So you if you need an expanded kennedy ], you can find that it is in your custom hopping half set. You can customize it easily to suit your needs.

3. Use a mobile app (preferably one with a desktop or web version that allows syncing). I am really impressed with "Memento". There is also "Sortly", "Evernote" and "MyStuff2 Pro" for Apple. Search "store collections" or "home inventory" in your app store. These apps organize text, checklists, images, finger/styles drawings, barcode scans and more. While you are at it, take a look at Google Keep and Zoho Notebook Smile

4. If you understand how to create tables and want a true relational database (Create a table for authors and another for books and lecture notes and they link together efficiently) then an app like "Airtable" is very powerful.

Don't forget to share what you settle on!
James Holmes
View Profile
New user
Branson, MO
5 Posts

Profile of James Holmes
I have created a window software program to inventory your magic collection. You can check it out at www.MagicCollectionSoftware.com
Any questions let me know... JIM
Author - Fantasio Cane & Candle Book No. 4
Inventor - One Handed Vanishing Cane to Silk
Developer - Magic Collection Software
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
James Holmes, bravo. What programming tool did you use to build gui and what database is everything stored in.
James Holmes
View Profile
New user
Branson, MO
5 Posts

Profile of James Holmes
It is a propriety builder that interfaces with applications built with DevExpress..
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1608 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
I had been using magic collection pro. I loved it but it was recently updated and now I would not recommend this to anyone. The add screen is cumbersome and originally you could change the magic screen part so that only what you wanted to show up would do so. Now every time the screen opens it reverts to a cumbersome looking screen and not at all practical. I went back to my old method of an excell spreadsheet. Emails to the developer get no response. Don't waste your money on this.

Ron
James Holmes
View Profile
New user
Branson, MO
5 Posts

Profile of James Holmes
Ron,

I have not sent out any updates for the software recently? So, I am not sure what you mean "Recently Updated". I will be happy to help you in resolving your issue through our support email. I have only received the email you sent today 2/4/2020 and I have already sent you a reply. Please don't jump to conclusions and post in the forum. I normally respond to emails within 24 hours if not sooner. Check your email.

Thanks,
JIM

Quote:
On Feb 4, 2020, mrmagic0 wrote:
I had been using magic collection pro. I loved it but it was recently updated and now I would not recommend this to anyone. The add screen is cumbersome and originally you could change the magic screen part so that only what you wanted to show up would do so. Now every time the screen opens it reverts to a cumbersome looking screen and not at all practical. I went back to my old method of an excell spreadsheet. Emails to the developer get no response. Don't waste your money on this.

Ron
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1608 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
He never took care of my problem. I see he is still selling this. He has ignored my emails and has never helped me.

Ron
HofzinsersFan
View Profile
New user
Scotland
81 Posts

Profile of HofzinsersFan
Well I was enjoying having a read through this thread with interest and hadbsomenideas of my own. Namely, I used to make great use of db cataloguing software for my software and then comicbook collection years back and the brand was collectorz.com. Looks like they are still going and it probably would be very easy to adapt and create categories etc to make it usable with Magic props, cards, etc just by taking one of the other versions, like I mentioned already the comic book, software, they also have magazine or movie versions so some might adapt easier than others.
Anyway, this thread kind of ended like as if I had been enjoying a trip on a beautiful vintage bus through the oldest parts of London, imagining life throuh rose-tinted spectacles as you do in such a situation then before I was even aware of what was happening, that bus turned a corner where the driver suddenly swerved out of the way of an old horse pulling a carriage(how apt) and smack(!) hit an old lady.
Ouch.

He should've simply hit the horse.
Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

.Smile What do you mean you don't read?

You need to read FITZKEE
- Dick Oslund, 2019.
kjones069
View Profile
New user
St Petersburg
7 Posts

Profile of kjones069
Jim - what is the status of your software “Magic Collectors Pro”? Is there now a 64-bit version supported by Microsoft?
if not, do you have a time frame for its release? Also does it work with all the latest Microsoft O/S releases? And finally, the holy grail question - any chance there will be a Mobile App version? Thanks in advance, Kevin
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
JDobbs
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of JDobbs
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2019, FlightRisk wrote:
Not that this will be the end of the discussion, but here is my final opinion (for now Smile )

1. Probably the "best" software out there as it is designed for magicians is "The Magic Database" by HEH Software www.edhasmagic.com. It even tracks your routines in addition to tricks, books, gaffs, etc.

2. My spreadsheet is maybe the easiest solution and allows for sorting, searching, grouping and even finding which trick has what gaff. It acts as a sort of "manufacturing inventory" where you have an effect, but that effect may have several components. So you if you need an expanded kennedy ], you can find that it is in your custom hopping half set. You can customize it easily to suit your needs.

3. Use a mobile app (preferably one with a desktop or web version that allows syncing). I am really impressed with "Memento". There is also "Sortly", "Evernote" and "MyStuff2 Pro" for Apple. Search "store collections" or "home inventory" in your app store. These apps organize text, checklists, images, finger/styles drawings, barcode scans and more. While you are at it, take a look at Google Keep and Zoho Notebook Smile

4. If you understand how to create tables and want a true relational database (Create a table for authors and another for books and lecture notes and they link together efficiently) then an app like "Airtable" is very powerful.

Don't forget to share what you settle on!

I had “The Magic Database” and it is very much wonderful program, but it is only capable on Microsoft. I’ve switched to MAC, so I can’t use it without buying software to run windows OS on Mac and then most of those have subscriptions to pay.
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of Merodach
Here is the updated website for "The Magic Database": https://www.magiciansoftware.com
I would love to know how many magicians have purchased this program. The screenshot looks like it was developed in the early 90s.

I also recommend going with a spreadsheet program. Make your categories and just filter/search by them. It might not have a pretty GUI like TMD, but its free Smile
JDobbs
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of JDobbs
I actually perfer “The Magic Database” over “Magic Collections Software”. One thing “The MAgic Database” has going for it is the internal data collections of books, videos, tricks, etc… that is built-in and selectable to add to your own database so you don’t have to type it in every-time. However, I’m not sure if it is active anymore. I went to purchase the software again but not able to for some reason.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Trick inventory software (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL