The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » An out of the ordinary coin magic book (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or nothing up my sleeve. But I don't mind using a gaff but not afraid of sleight of hand gaffless as well.

But beside the solid grounding books David Roth, Richard Kaufmann, Derek Dingle, Bobo

Has anyone found some really great coin magic books / effects in a "off the beaten path" coin magic book?

Thanks
Eddy
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
The Long Goodby, containing the coin magic of Geoff Latta. Out in tbe next month most likely. You can also checm out my new manuscript, Twilight Zone Wild Coin. PM me for details.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Since you don't mind gaffs, I have read (and heard) there is gaffed material in it - https://shop.conjuringarts.org/store/pc/......ry6dKiuU

Even if one doesn't like gaffs, I hear it is worth the money just for the essays. There are several threads about this book here in the Café (in various forums).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
The magic of Johnny Thompson has some great coin material in it as well.
The Kort Book
The Essential Sol Stone
Principles and Deception
There are also a number of other books out with amazing coin magic out there.
Seems like more coin work is going on video than into books though.
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2018, Mobius303 wrote:
The magic of Johnny Thompson has some great coin material in it as well.
The Kort Book
The Essential Sol Stone
Principles and Deception
There are also a number of other books out with amazing coin magic out there.
Seems like more coin work is going on video than into books though.

I'm a book guy and always has been, that being said I always found coin magic a little easier to learn in person. Of the DVDs and lectures I own, I would say 90% are coin related.
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2018, Koolmagic114 wrote:
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or nothing up my sleeve. But I don't mind using a gaff but not afraid of sleight of hand gaffless as well.

But beside the solid grounding books David Roth, Richard Kaufmann, Derek Dingle, Bobo

Has anyone found some really great coin magic books / effects in a "off the beaten path" coin magic book?

Thanks
Eddy

Not exactly a "book," (though I've probably written a book worth of stuff by now) Smile but I've mostly chronicled my download offerings by including manuscripts with them that speaks of my thinking, the effects, handlings, options and bonuses.

And I'd say that somewhat I am a bit "off the beaten path," sorta mom & pop all the way! Smile

*Here's an example:

https://vinnymarini.com/download/shortpockets.html

https://vinnymarini.com/download/kaboom.html
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
The Aretalogy of Vanni Bossi book has some out of the ordinary coin stuff too
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
If you are looking for Gaff/Sight Comb. Stuff you mite tey Ny 1 St hard book ! Or any of my softbound Book!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Since you don't mind gaffs, I have read (and heard) there is gaffed material in it - https://shop.conjuringarts.org/store/pc/......ry6dKiuU

Even if one doesn't like gaffs, I hear it is worth the money just for the essays. There are several threads about this book here in the Café (in various forums).

Your link didn't work. However, this is a great book!!
https://store.conjuringarts.org/product/......drahita/
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
If you haven't already, see Unexplainable Acts (the very innovative magic of Gary Kurtz) and Stars of Magic (a classic, but you didn't list it) and The Magic of Slydini and Slydini Encores. These all reflect the specific style of the subject magicians. You might also consider Apocalypse and Richard's Almanac.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Ok so here is the link for my hard bound book ! http://coinjurer.com/?product=david-neig......volume-1
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
An out of the ordinary coin magic book? 21st Century Coin Mechanics is one I'm surprised was not mentioned. This stuff is DIFFERENT! Using a gaff, I'd say the DVD "Covert Coins" by Charlie Justice qualifies. The move "The Stealth Dump" alone is worth the price of the DVD!

Doug
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Some very good suggestions Dougy...Anything from Charlie Justice is well worth it...Love his coin magic. Smile

*And one of my favorite practitioners is Dr. Larry Barnowsky, his 21st Century Coin Mechanics is extraordinary, and remains HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!! Smile

www.barnowskymagic.com/21ccmpage.html

I curled up with this one many a night...So, if you're looking for some wonderful coin magic in book form (and in video form if you like it too) off the beaten path, then this is just what the doctor ordered. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Anything by Doug Brewer. He does strolling coin magic, so his work has been fully tested .... in the real world.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Another book that strays off the beaten path a bit is "The Tipnician" by Bob Chesbro. It explores work with Th**B T*P and F**ding coin. It was written decades ago, but I think its at least still available through Penguin.
Degio
View Profile
Regular user
It took me years to get to
152 Posts

Profile of Degio
If you are looking for "out of ordinary" stuff, I recommend Rune Klan's "Rune's World".
Very unusual book, with lots of coin magic.
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
320 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
How about "Introduction to Coin Magic" by Shigeo Takagi? I have it in my library but I don't know many who do, so maybe that qualifies as out of the ordinary, certainly it's off the beaten path!
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Coins and Other Fables, by Luis Pedrahita. The problem with many coin resources is that often they have moves that are not very practical or are too limited by angles. SKEPTICAL? check out Pedrahita's work on youtube. For instance, he uses a palm of his that is almost invisible, that you can do. The angles on it are superior to the edge grip. But the appearance is that clean, but virtually angle proof, if done right. This is just one example. Possibly the most important book on coin magic since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! It will rock your coin magic. Things you will use every single day.

"Luis Piedrahita is one of the world's great magical thinkers but his skills don't end there. My only issue with him is that he's revealing these great ideas and effects to the world and not just reserving them for me!"
- David Blaine

"His presentations are charming and original. He has developed new sleights and made improvements on old ones. And for magicians who are aware of the importance of knowing not just how an effect works, but why, the essays on magic theory alone are worth the price of the book."
- David Roth
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2018, Mb217 wrote:
Another wonderful book is Now You See It, Now You Don't by Bill Tarr & Illustrated by Barry Ross. 🎩

This is a marvelous magic book, simply written and that has remarkable drawings of all the moves. And while it is more of a general closeup magic book, covering cards, cups & balls, ropes, etc., it also has a nice coin magic section covering moves and routines, even a bit on gaffed coins, and a great bibliography pointing the way to other good magic books. This is just a wonderful book, one of presence and in its time, vision. 😏

For some reason, the book is not often spoken of and even forgotten largely, but it shouldn't be, as it is quite complete as to beginner closeup magic. I still do some things from the book and continue to refer to it time and again. Excitingly, it also is a larger size book and comes across like a workbook of magic. It truly walks you through the beginning and even into some intermediate routines and effects. It's remarkably well laid out and written, and introduces you to all sorts of fine magic, including coins. Smile There's even a 2nd big book as to it, but start at the beginning with this one first and you'll be so happy you did. Smile

Myself and so many others have learned a lot from Tarr's magical offerings, and I'm sure you will too. What a fun, gem of a book! Go find it and unlock its treasures. Smile As for me, well, this is the kind of book I would gift to someone interested in the art and the many facets of it. Smile You can usually find it dirt-cheap now on eBay or Amazon. Smile

*Highly Recommended! ★★★★★

I posted this on another forum, but thought it deserved an updated replay here. This is a wonderful book, and I found it somewhat "Out of the ordinary" then and now. I really think it belongs on every Magic book shelf. And it's still the sorta book I would gift to anyone interested in the art, and think I might do that again right now. Smile

todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Paul Harris has some interesting coin material in Art of Astonishment.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » An out of the ordinary coin magic book (15 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL