The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Using County Fair To Promote Business. Appreciate Tips & Wisdom (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2018, daffydoug wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2018, 55Hudson wrote:
Doug,

Sounds like a great day and a good use of $100! If you only get two gigs out of the day, you will be ahead.

For next year I might suggest, piggybacking on Mindpros comment, to offer a discount if they commit to a show on the spot. Say you charge $300 for a kids party, if they sign up and make a $100 deposit, you include party bags for free or perhaps $50 off. Give a reason to commit. Even if you leave the date open - mutually agreeable date within next 12 months.

I've done too many of these kinds of events where no shows actually came from them, even though I thought the day went well. You will want to avoid that situations! Another thing you might do is sell magic tricks - simple ones like ball and vase, but I would rather push for the onsite commitment (deposit!) for a future show.

Hudson

Good thoughts! Some of them I had previously rolled over in my mind.

A hundred bucks is really peanuts for a chance to get your name and face before hundreds of people for an entire week.

I had made up several of a promo item called "Invisible Magic Dust" (Have you ever heard of it?) Which I planned to sell for a buck a piece, but I absolutely did not have the time!! (like I said, was totally wrapped in performing.)

I had also thought about making up a small set of kids magic tricks, but wasn't sure what to put in it, how to package it, or what it should sell for. If you have ideas on that, I would truly appreciate it.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Doug, just because you didn’t book a show on the spot doesn’t mean it wasn’t a success. You got your name out there and that was what you set out to do.
Next time you may want to consider doing just one simple trick inside the booth and then giving it away for free. Have it in an envelope with printed
instructions which also has you show ad on it. For example I have used the two card monte as an advertising piece with great success. You can get em
cheap by the gross. Clip card, or fortune telling fish is another cheap giveaway that can be used to promote yourself.

Yes if you have Dean's Magic Dust, by all means use that.

Tom
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I had considered the fortune telling fish, believe it or not. Never got to it, though, as I was so busy.
Do you reccomend a good, reliable source for those fish for next year?

From your post, I take it you have heard of the invisible dust?
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2018, daffydoug wrote:
I had considered the fortune telling fish, believe it or not. Never got to it, though, as I was so busy.
Do you reccomend a good, reliable source for those fish for next year?

From your post, I take it you have heard of the invisible dust?

Yes I know some that have used the invisible dust with great success.

D.Robbins is a good wholesaler for the fish and magic slum items. But you can get the Fish on ebay for about $7 a gross.
It is a great giveaway item and not just for magicians, I've used it for years in non magic business.

Tom
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Very interesting in how this thread has turned to magic tricks for kids. Very surprising. Are you marketing to the kids or their parents? Seems some confused marketing targets at work here. Although this always seems to happen - magicians thinking its about the magic, when it is not in reality, especialy from a promotion and marketing perspective.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2018, Mindpro wrote:
Very interesting in how this thread has turned to magic tricks for kids. Very surprising. Are you marketing to the kids or their parents? Seems some confused marketing targets at work here. Although this always seems to happen - magicians thinking its about the magic, when it is not in reality, especialy from a promotion and marketing perspective.

I believe he said in his first post it was to be a very mixed audience with lots of kids. True the parents are the ones that write
the check but don’t think for a minute that the kids don’t have to approve you first. Both must be sold.

Odds are good that the kids that liked his performance/personality there will request him in the future. I took it that was his main goal this time.

Tom
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Thanks Tom, but I don't need you to tell me how to market and book kids shows having done thousands of these bookings (not mention produced many of these community business expos). And performing magic tricks wasn't part of a single booking or marketing structure.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is why I stopped asking questions.

The trap of doing tricks for the kids is easy to fall into. The idea that you "got your name out there" can be very seductive. It feels like success. It really does. But in the end success in this is measured in how many people pay for your show as a result of the effort.

If you depend on kids somehow remembering your name and communicating that effectively to the parents I think that is a flawed model.

And it is certainly NOT only $100 by the way. It is an investment of a weeks worth of your time plus prep. So the idea that it is only $100 is just not business like.

But this is not my venture so if Doug sees it as success then I'm cool with that. The only problem with that is when you redefine success to mean anything you get is success it is hard to recognise real success and work toward it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Mindpro, I wasn’t trying to tell you what to do.

Just saying he said upfront there would be kids there and he would be doing magic.

Tom
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny,

I agree “success is measured in how many people pay for your show as a result of the effort” BUT you don’t always see that result right away.
Shows are often booked from seeing a previous performance and that can be a paid or free performance.

Time means nothing if you’re just sitting on the couch waiting for the phone to ring. Better to be out promoting the business the best way you know how.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not really.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Doug,

Big challenge with only you in the booth. You may what to hire an assistant that can collect information and take deposits while you focus on personal interaction.

Regarding selling tricks, I don't recommend that. You've got your hands full now engaging with parents and kids - selling is yet one more activity, and a low-value one at that.

I do sell stuff at events, but it is to promote my magic camps, not shows. It is difficult to make much money selling magic - how many brick-and-mortar shops are left?

If you are promoting the shows, that's what you should be doing. Demonstrate you can entertain the kids, offer the incentive to make an on-the-spot commitment, collect information so you can follow up. You may even print up cards with a discount code that you can hand out - but collecing their information is always better.

Think about planning the event with specific goals for next year. How many cards (or other promotional material) will you hand out? How many names, emails, phone numbers will you collect? How many deposits will you take? Set specific goals and actions that will help you achieve those goals.

For all of this, do your backward planning. How many shows would be a success? How many prospects do you need to get that number of shows in the pipeline? How many booth visitors do you need for every qualified prospect. This thinking will help you plan future events.

Now, I can't say that I always put the rigor into this that I should, but when I do, always get better results!

Hudson
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Well said Hudson. I agree, right now while everything is fresh on your mind is the best time to do your planning for next year.

Tom
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
And it is certainly NOT only $100 by the way. It is an investment of a weeks worth of your time plus prep. So the idea that it is only $100 is just not business like.

No one would agree that putting up 3 grand and walking away with no bookings is ok, so investing all that time and coming away with nothing tangible is even less desireable.
This is why I recommended that my brother hire a coach who has experience in a broad spectrum of topics related to entertainment. I believed he would gain far more time back as a return on his investment. In the situation discussed here, more education on how to approach and maximize the time commitment would have likely lead to a far greater value on the time investment.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Had a nice little thing happen to me yesterday. Got a call from a guy who is a major player in the theatre community here In this area.

He had seen my performance at the booth, gotten my name and # off my card and contacted me. He told me that he is wanting to produce a play that involves magic / illusions as part of the plot. But he has no knowledge of how to pull off whatever special effects he wishes to use. Totally in the dark as far as the secrets of magic. Hey, from watching me he thought I was pretty doggone good.

So he asked me if I will partner up with him in writing, directing and creating magical illusions for the show.

It's something I have actually dreamed of since many, many years ago here when they presented the "Wizard Of Oz"" on stage, and they had gotten another local magician to create the special effects.

I was young in magic back then, so it didn't hurt my feelings as I was kind of green, still, since then, it's always been a dream of mine to create illusions for a stage play.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Congratulations Doug.

Nope, you never know who you going to run into when you’re out there plugging away.

And luck does seem to find the hard worker.

Well Done, and good luck with it.

Tom
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes, even a broken clock is correct twice a day. Great general advice. There are plenty of hard workers that still struggle and yield little or no results. Hard work assures nothing. It is the proper, right and wise work that produces results.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
“Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.” ― Stephen King

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Have you ever actually done this? Oh never mind I'm sure your qualified.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2018, TomBoleware wrote:
“Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.” ― Stephen King

Tom

NO, I think anyone will/can succeed if they are at the right place at the right time, in life and place.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Using County Fair To Promote Business. Appreciate Tips & Wisdom (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL