The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » World Cup 2018 (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5552 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I don't get it.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3485 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
France v Belgium = Belgium

Russia v Croatia = Croatia
Sweden v England = Sweden

Croatia v Sweden = Sweden

Belgium v Sweden = Tough call, but I'll go with Belgium

KJ
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1759 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
If that’s who is in the final, I would go with Belgium, too. However, I think Russia will beat Croatia in the semi-final tomorrow. And although Sweden will be very difficult to overcome, I’m guessing England might just beat them in their semi-final match. Probably on penalties after extra time.

So that makes the semi-finals France vs. Belgium, and Russia vs. England.

This World Cup has been full of surprises, so who can really tell?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3485 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I don't think England will get to the next level. They were not as good as Colombia, they sqeaked through that game, and Colombia is not as good as Sweden. Anything could happen, but don't hold your breath.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1759 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Germany, Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Portugal … all previously considered potential winners … have already been knocked out. So anything is possible in this World Cup!
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3485 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Anything is possible, but none of those teams were better than Sweden or Belgium. When the tournament first started, it was clear to me that those two teams were the best. No guarantees, but if they had playoffs, like best of five, those two teams would likely come out on top.

I wonder what vegas odds are?

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3485 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Here are the vegas odds:

2018 FIFA World Cup
FIFA World Cup 2018 - Outright Winner
France +220
Belgium +260
England +400
Croatia +550
Russia +2000
Sweden +2200

I don't agree.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3501 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2018, 1KJ wrote:
Here are the vegas odds:

2018 FIFA World Cup
FIFA World Cup 2018 - Outright Winner
France +220
Belgium +260
England +400
Croatia +550
Russia +2000
Sweden +2200

I don't agree.

In that case, it sounds like an opportunity to make some money.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3485 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Could be. I made millions by NOT gambling, but to each their own.

KJ
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1759 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Speaking of betting: Zlatan Ibrahimovic has challenged his former teammate David Beckham to a wager before tomorrow’s England/Sweden quarter-final. Zlatan said that if Sweden wins, Beckham must buy him anything he wants from Ikea (for his newly acquired mansion in Los Angeles).

Beckham countered by saying that if England wins, Zlatan must accompany him to a football match at Wembley, wearing an England shirt, and enjoying fish and chips at half time.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1759 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
England 2, Sweden 0. Through to the semi-final! They will face either Croatia or Russia, depending on who wins that game. I'm rooting for Russia, even though Croatia have many more skilled players. They looked pretty average in their previous match. Whereas Russia have home advantage ...
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1759 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Russia beaten by Croatia in a penalty shout-out after extra time. So that means the semi-final games next week are:

Belgium vs France and England vs Croatia.

Anyone fancy an England/Belgium game in the final?
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3485 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I think you are right, England v Belgium.

My pick is still Belgium, but now it's clear that any of these countries can have a good or bad day, so Belgium v France is not a given for Belgium.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3485 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Even though Russia wasn't meant to go far, it was sad to see them lose. I speak/understand other languages, so I was watching Telemundo in Spanish from around 4:30 am till the game started at 7:00 am my time. Not one mention of how terrible Putin is, collusion, or any other political crap. They spent the whole time talking about the hospitality of the Russians, how beautiful the country is, etc. I didn't get that perspective from watching US English based programming.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1759 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Apart from the live game broadcasts, the best coverage has been (and still is) on RT TV. They have excellent background, analysis and insight from Peter Schmeichel, Stan Collymore, etc. Plus fabulous interviews with past World Cup legends. And very engaging reporters in amongst the crowds, fan zones, pubs, etc. Jose Mourinho is also part of the reporting team, making predictions about each team’s strengths and weaknesses.

It’s made each match so much more exciting, and almost makes you feel like you’re right there.

I urge you to watch RT, starting about an hour before each remaining game. And also immediately afterwards. Also check out their news programs every match day evening. The first 15 minutes or so are always devoted to the games played earlier that day.

Here’s a link to the World Cup 2018 page on their website:

https://www.rt.com/sport/

Under “Shows” you’ll also find links to the Peter Schmeichel and Stan Collymore shows.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4313 Posts

Profile of RNK
LOVE that Brazil is out!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2651 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2018, RNK wrote:
LOVE that Brazil is out!

Why? Did Brazil kick your dog, or something?
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4313 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2018, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
LOVE that Brazil is out!

No. I have a few acquaintances from Brazil, though I like them, they are VERY arrogant when it comes to talking about Brazil and soccer. Not humble at all!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3971 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
After watching some of Neymar's antics, I can't say I'm sorry they're gone.

England has had difficulty with Sweden over the last few decades, and while past performance doesn't guarantee present results, I was still suspect re: England's chances. Good for them, and great that they finally won a WC elimination match (vs. Colombia) via penalty shootout!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2651 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2018, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
LOVE that Brazil is out!

No. I have a few acquaintances from Brazil, though I like them, they are VERY arrogant when it comes to talking about Brazil and soccer. Not humble at all!

I don’t like sports at all, but I’ve noticed that NO fan is ever “humble” about their team’s abilities or chances. Go to a Chivago bar and bad mouth the Cubs if you want to see arrogance!
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » World Cup 2018 (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL