The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dungeons & Dragons (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Yesterday; while riding on a shuttle bus, I overheard a couple young men talking about D&D. One of them was trying to recruit/introduce the other to the world of D&D. He went on to describe a few of his campaigns and the way his group plays the game. To him, the game was 90% role playing (they role played every aspect) where most of their time was spent in dialoging. I soon realized that they were treating it like a live video game.

Then the conversation through me a curve ball. (Note: this will mean very little to you non-nerdy-D&D types) He told of a scenario in his last game where a Dryad was sent to town as a messenger, and that they didn't speak/understand her language and thus never got the info. Being a former D&D nerd, that statement twerked my brain. He also went into details about stats and stated alignment (Once again D&D Nerd knowledge required) does not matter and is only there to provide reference material if needed. Also, also, if the DM (Dungeon Master to you normal people) OK's it you need not follow the pre-defined results of spells/items. IE: breaking to laws of D&D physics.

They are having fun. I get that, but it isn't the game I remember. Apparently, now all classes can cast spells and become flying Ninja Wizards (in Plate Mail at that). Rare creature encounters are no longer rare, every town has a bar of mixed races of Elves, Dwarves, Orc's, Half-Orc's, Demon Spawn, and Dragon Men. There may even be a human or two in there. Paladins stealing gold, Thieves with morality, and did I mention the Flying Ninja Wizards?? Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling. Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave. Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together – mass hysteria.

For the record, it's been over 20 years since the last time I played and 30 + years since I played seriously. To each their own, you mileage may vary, Different strokes for different folks... Get off my lawn!!
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
With a capital T and that rhymes with D&D...

Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
I didn't share with them that I once played. I just listened and shook my head.

I recently picked up the new players handbook; where I saw the character changes, for a project I have in the works.

I plan on having a video series of puppets playing D&D (with crossover sequences). I ordered these awhile back for their visibility on video.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S73......F8&psc=1

They're the size of soft balls.
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dungeons & Dragons (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL