The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Concerning the classic palm (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Hi mjc. One thing to add.... Make learning the CP fun. Use a coin size that is easieast for you to CP and do magic with that.
With time you will be able to CP pennies, not perfectly, but will know enough of how to do the moves to make a convincing vanish.
The CP is one of the great secrets of magic. The finger palm is trusted too much, if it is done without some clean "empty" displays, and most spectators are wiser than you think. But the CP combined with a routine like Roth's coins across, just kills. best to you!!!
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
When I was younger I would spend the summertime with two half dollars, left and right. As I walked toward people (or imaginary people) I would use the middle two fingers to drive them into my palms. As I walked passed I would let them drop into the finger palm. This up and down, in and out got the placement into my head and muscles. And now I have, what I'm told is, a very open palm, and in only a few decades.

I still think it is important to be able to move coins from one palm position to another even if you don't want to do it with people watching. Make up a sequence and keep at it when your hands are otherwise idle. I tell other magicians that's what television is for! And don't forget to try three and four coins for LONG periods. Through all this you will find what you can do (and cannot) and do well.

I think it is John Cornelius (I'm probably wrong) who downplays the classic palm as "Looks good in the picture but less than natural". I agree it may be overused or used when not the best tool for the job. But looking empty and clean is a great way to cheat.

Speaking of the wrong tool for the job, I am pained to see people starting a coin routine with ape hands clearly laden with CP coins. I'm lucky with what I have but only if I'm smart where I use it.

Keep at it.

P
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Great point plunger. when you move from CP to finger palm and back effortlessly is when you know how to use the cP. it is not a static holdout, but a temporary and killer holdout when combined with other palms.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
You have gotten some GREAT advice here and wow how good it is to see a post from none other than Al Schneider! I love the Classic Palm and all I can do is reiterate what all these other coin wizards have told you, but, no need, they're MUCH better than I.

Okay, having said that, you're hanging out with coin dudes? How many Queens of Hearts' hearts have you broken? How many Aces have been left un-Halo'd? Those poor cards are imprisoned in those cases, oh the pasteboardmanity!!! For the love of all that is lovable, please dear sir, release those cards from the oubliette! [These coin guys are nefarious dudes with their incantations to Tango, Schoolcraft, Lassen, and the US Mint knows who else. Be wary of them, especially Marion Boykin (mb217) because he is SO good, he will draw you further into magic's REAL Mafia, namely, coins. Smile And mb217 seems like a secret assassin designation.

Seriously though, welcome back to magic!! Hope to see you in the Workers section. We have cookies and we are all angels and law abiding citizens and love kittens, puppies, and Straddle Faros and we never EVER argue.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Smile Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Concerning the classic palm (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL