The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Questions about the Golden Age (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ViolinKing
View Profile
Loyal user
a loyal user has no more than
296 Posts

Profile of ViolinKing
I am researching the process of performing in the Golden Age. For example, a tour of the country, or of the Continent, was typically arranged through a circuit of theaters owned or operated by a conglomerate. That would be vaudeville. In his book "Twenty years of Spoof and Bluff" the magician Carlton simply describes getting booked at a theater as more a matter of individual circumstances, rather than arranged tours. He went to Italy, performed and got a contract, then had arrangements at other theaters. His agent called to other countries, etc.

Specifically, in researching Dante, I read that Thurston hired him to put together a "2nd" show. Thurston had 2 shows...

I am writing to ask if anyone on the Café has some insight on how this worked. In a large city, did Thurston simply perform double the amount of shows, in order to cater to audience members who wanted to see something new?

The time period I am looking at would be around the time of Blackstone and Thurston. 1910-1935 or therabouts.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2373 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I'm guessing that the 2nd unit shows played smaller markets
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Russo
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of Russo
I think Ken Griffins book "Illusion Show know how"-has some information on booking tours - we have a photo in it( in the 60's) and toured with Ken and Bert for a season - booked mosly by Clubs---Chamber of Commerce-Kawainis- Lions- etc etc. Helps??-- Ralph & Anna Rousseau (russo)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Questions about the Golden Age (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.49 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL