The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Does anyone else find this extremely annoying? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
Has anyone else noticed how when one posts a question on the magic Café the original question is rarely answered? Here are some examples of what I mean:

Q: Where is a good source to obtain Barber halves?

A: Why? What do you need them for?

A: I personally prefer 1964 Kennedys.

A: I like Walking Liberties.

A: Have you guys seen the new Kurtis Kam DVD?

A: I once got a Barber half dollar from my grandfather.

NOTICE: The question was "Where is a good source to obtain Barber halves?" but the question was never answered.

Q: Which video do you like better, X or Y (names really aren't important)

A: They are really like apples and oranges, you have to have them both.

A: I think X has superior manipulation skills, but Y's presentation is much better.

A: I think bla bla bla bla bla bla bla. But I have never actually seen either of them.

A: It really depends on your performing style.

NOTICE: The question was "Which video do YOU like better?" Again, the question was never answered.

Q: I am having problems with the Goshman pinch, can anyone help me get the coin where it needs to be?

A: Technically, it is not the Goshman pinch. It was originated in 900 B.C. by Amon Hotep III before being assasinated and having his sarcophagus looted. Only the lower end wannabe magicians would ever call it the Goshman Pinch. In fact, in 1975 Albert Goshman forgot to give the move credit to Pharoah Hotep and he was lynched by future Magic Café users.

A: Actually Albert Goshman varied from Amon Hotep's handling by 3/4 of a millimeter, thus making the "pinch" his own. Any discerning eye in magic can tell the difference.

A: Dudes, the Goshman pinch is like, so out-dated. Don't you dudes watch dvds?

NOTICE: Again, no one actually helped the one asking for help they just scolded him for not using proper terminology and giving credit to everyone back to the dawn of time.

Q: I have been practicing my continuous back to front palm for 4 months and I still flash. Can anyone give me some pointers?

A: It's about time you dudes started listening to me about the dvds. You have to buy Devo's stuff.

A: These kinds of moves really impress Magicians. For laymen it's just sleight of hand and juggling. No magic in that.
Don't waste to much time on that if you want my opinion. BRS is far enought to impress and make audience say you're a pro.

A: Dude, Devo's stuff is lame, you need Buck Twin.

A: You guys have no idea what you are talking about, Brian Tudor is the man.

A: Shut up, I hate you all ... sniff, sniff, Devo's the man, honest he is.

A: I'll meet you in the back alley at 5:00 and we'll settle this.

NOTICE: Who cares who the "flourish king" is? Certainly not the one who made the post in need of help.

Ok, I vented a little and I feel somewhat better. Does anyone else notice these things constantly?

FC
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
I fully agree, it doesn't look as though we'll be getting much sun this summer, but like everyone else I live in hope.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3223 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Your post is pretty funny. I have read topics just like that. Smile

NeomMagic beat me to providing a non-answer, although I was going to continue with a real answer too! Smile

I just went to a number of random topics in the Café. These were in several different forums. I looked at about 10 posts, which admittedly is not a representative sample.

In every single post I viewed, the first reply was a valid answer.

I wouldn’t say it is rare that someone replies correctly, but poor replies do happen too often. Certain forums are much worse than others. Personally, I don’t get annoyed by it, I just go past the non-answer posts and read the good answers. If there are no good answers and I have one, I supply it.

Occasionally, a non-reply is called for. For example, if someone posted the topic, “What’s the best way to perform the Tenkai Decapitation for children”, a non-answer would be appropriate!
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2135 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2004-04-28 17:34, FCpreacher wrote:
Has anyone else noticed how when one posts a question on the magic Café the original question is rarely answered?

Ok, I vented a little and I feel somewhat better. Does anyone else notice these things constantly?

FC

Yes, I've noticed and yes , it is annoying.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I agree.
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Man I cant stand when people do that. Happens all the time here. I completely agree.
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
FCPreacher,

Congratulations, you have just discovered how much of a big bunch of babies magicians are Smile

Although I do love magic and have a great time sessioning with a group of guys, I have NEVER in my life met another group (besides feminists and other political groups) of people that complain and whine about things more then magicians do (not to mention skirt the issue 90% of the time).

Coming to the Café, make sure you have a fire extinguisher and some thigh high boots...This will ensure you can wade through the crap and put out any flames aimed at you.

Chris
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3743 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
FCpreacher said; "Has anyone else noticed how when one posts a question on the magic Café the original question is rarely answered?"

Some Posting Guidelines...
Though most folks have read the jnformation above and do very well, there are indeed those who may not actually have the correct answer but still want to be involved in the conversation...much like real life.

Chris Berry said; "Coming to the Café, make sure you have a fire extinguisher and some thigh high boots...This will ensure you can wade through the crap and put out any flames aimed at you"

As far as flamming, it is few and far between compared to most internet websites. We do our best to moderate the Café, but we are only human and nobody is perfect. If there is someone flamming or being rude, members do have the option of CLICKING the Report this post button which is above every post made on the Café. The Café team members are then notified and will take whatever action is appropriate.

In the meantime, realize that the Café is not like a computer (churning out answers when asked) and is full of people from around the globe, most of whom try their very best to help out. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Boy! I sure like monkeys! Oh... what were we talking about?
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
Steve, no blast to you or your moderators intended. I was trying to find a humorous way to prove a point. I think you do a great job here. Several magicians are extremely helpful. It just seems like sometimes when I really want an answer, I have to ask twice to get it.

FC
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27243 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
While reading is fundamental it is none the less a skill that requires some attention and commitment.

Writing, on the other hand seems to be considered a right, and perhaps a duty.

Enjoy the show.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2189 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Firedice, I like monkeys too! Don't you think it's neat how blood protein Rh is named after the Rhesus... So yes, I agree, posts that completely avoid the topic in question are irritating. If you have a tangent, but then come back to the point and post something helpful, no problem. Overall though I do feel that this is one of, if not the best, forums that I read.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I tell you what I hate... discussing the purchase of family portraits with a woman who is smacking her gum, complaining about software updates, and talking about what kind of camera her ex- bought right before their divorce...

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
usa
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of usa
Tudor Twins roxz!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Tudor Twins eh?

Since when?

Chris
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
The De'vo Blaine Twins are better!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
Devo was a great band! I was so disappointed when I heard a Devo song on a "Swiffer" commercial. Am I the only one that finds these annoying? And speaking of annoying, what were we talking about again? Smile
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1267 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
See, now, I always liked Tudor and the Devotones myself. They were great until David started hitting the card games. It was a shame when they were split.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
Lol. you funny.LOL

People are just nuts.
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
I wish this "topic" was made sticky.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Does anyone else find this extremely annoying? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL