The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Copper cups durability? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pekrist
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Pekrist
Hi.
I have read something about durability comparing stainless steel cups against copper and brass.
I have seen Rafael Benatar in his DVD perform his e-cup routine and the delete move, by beating two cups together. (I tried to upload a little video file where he performs it, but it did not work).
I have a set of Monti copper combo cups, and wonder if this move could damage my cups? Should I avoid this move? What do you think?

Per K.
Pekrist
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Pekrist
Here is a short clip to show what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lDZzFNyJZU
Jamie-boy
View Profile
Regular user
Berea, Ohio
186 Posts

Profile of Jamie-boy
Pekrist, years ago, I would have told you that I am probably one of the worst people to answer, as I liked my props to remain in pristine, like new condition. As I've gotten older, I'd like to think that I'm a bit more realistic about this kind of thing. The truth of the matter is that if you use your cups, they will eventually gather some signs of use. For this move you may acquire some marks to the rims of your cups. In general, copper cups will naturally lose their shine as you handle them. It all just goes with use.

Practice the crash/click move slowly, build up enough speed to accomplish the illusion and you will be surprised how little impact you will really need for this move to work.

Good luck.

PS: I defer to Mobius303 for infinitely more depth in cup use.
James Sievert
Sleight of Hand Hobbyist since 1990.
Bassist since 1973.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
What Jamie said. Frank Garcia did this move with PF originals which was a thin copper. Most of todays cups are a little heavier. Probably no worse than the cup through cup move.
Pekrist
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Pekrist
Ok, thank you very much for your replies. 👍
A few marks or scrathes are ok, I was more concerned about if they maybe could get cracks and be damaged. 😉
Rafael Benatar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Spain
165 Posts

Profile of Rafael Benatar
The move is harmless unless you do it very wrong. Minor scratches? Well I don't know, no more than expected from regular use. I've been doing this move for decades and have only damaged my cups by dropping them to the floor.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Copper cups can take it. Do not beat them by doing the crash move with all your might and you will be fine. Practice it slowly and build up to what you need and your copper cups should be fine.
I let a friend show me his cup routine and that was a mistake....my aluminum cups did not hold up well to the crash move as he performed it. I am of the philosophy that cups get used and that means marks may happen from time to time. It really is not big deal unless you are a collector or investor in material props.
Scratches will happen from nesting the cups, dents happen from dropping or misuse of the props in my experience. You have Monte cups in copper and I know they are workers and tough cups. They should not crack and Donnie can tell you why they may crack over time but in 44yrs None of my cups have cracked from use.
Hope that helps,
Mobius303
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Copper cups durability? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL