The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Be honest what is it / two card monte - presentational ideas (51 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
SamuelJonesMagic
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of SamuelJonesMagic
Hello,
i perform this trick and I'm petty sure we can all agree that it's a modern classic that always gets good reactions, however I'm looking for a better way to present it, David Blaines 3 card monte theme is good but doesn't at all resonate with my audiences and Joshua Jays presentation revolvs around the theme of misdirection which I don't really like,
what do you guys say when performing this trick, any cool themes, scripts, random ideas?
Thanks!
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
I posted a Perverse Magic presentation of this on the Perverse Magic thread of the Genii Forum on October 1, 2011.
SamuelJonesMagic
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Got a link to it?
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
SamuelJonesMagic
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Fantastic, I like this idea! Smile
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
For the first time in your life, I want you to be honest with me--What's this card?
That's very good, that's very honest. Hold your hand in a fist, lift up your thumb.

Be honest again--What's this card?
That's great! Are you always this honest, or just when the evidence is staring you in the face?

If I turn both cards face down, can you still be honest?
Be honest. Did I switch them or not? So you have the ______ and I have the _______, is that correct?
Turn your card face up. And I have the _______!
Someone around here isn't very honest!
If we go by the evidence, (pulling two original cards out of pockets) it was probably me...
SamuelJonesMagic
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Ooooh Pop I love that!
Direct and to the point, funny, logical and simple, wow so cool Smile
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
That's great, Pop! You should think about doing magic professionally. I bet you'd be pretty good! Smile
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
SamuelJonesMagic
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

So I created two almost identical first draft scripts, not claiming these to be completely original but I'd like to know which one you prefer and advice for improving.

First one: Test of focus

Now you guys, seem like a pretty observant audience so I wanna try something, a quick test of focus

But since we’re doing magic this is actually a magic test, look, we’ll use these top cards

Here is the queen of spades, could you hold your hand out like this for me, and take that card and hold it like that, perfect.

Second one: Memory test

Now you guys, seem like a pretty observant audience so I wanna try something, a quick simple memory test

But since we’re doing magic this is actually a magic memory test, look, we’ll use these top cards

Here is the queen of spades, could you hold your hand out like this for me, and take that card and hold it like that, perfect.

If I were to ask you what that card was, what would you say?

The queen of spades right, yeah, you can check if you like

Pretty simple, but don’t worry, I’ll make it harder, let’s take this similar card the king of spades and take that one instead, without looking this time, what would you say is in your hand?

And you’d be right!

Here’s where it gets a little hard, I’ll put both the king and queen in your hand… watch closely (switches their positions a few times) what do you think is on bottom

“queen/king”

Nice, if this was a regular memory test you’d be right, but I told you… this is a magic one and what you might not remember was me changing your two cards, turn them over

“queen of spades”

Pretty simple, but don’t worry, I’ll make it harder, let’s take this similar card the king of spades and take that one instead, without looking this time, what would you say is in your hand?

“king of spades”

And you’d be right! That was just a warm up,
Here’s where it gets a little hard, I’ll put both the king and queen in your hand… watch closely (switches their positions a few times) what do you think is on bottom

“queen/king”

OK, if this was a regular test of focus you’d be right, but I told you… this is a magic one and what you might not have paid attention to was me changing your two cards, turn them over
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
You shouldn't put both cards in the spectator's hand. It kills the misdirection for the top change.
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
321 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
The best handling and presentation of this effect I've ever seen is from David Williamson. He does it as a memory test but in typical Williamson fashion he does it one better than everyone else I've seen. At the beginning, he puts the 2 jokers in his pocket as he doesn't need them. By the end of the effect the 2 aces the spectator had end up in the pocket and he ends up holding the 2 jokers instead! Far better than the standard effect. There is (or was) video on youtube of him doing this.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2018, GlennLawrence wrote:
The best handling and presentation of this effect I've ever seen is from David Williamson. He does it as a memory test but in typical Williamson fashion he does it one better than everyone else I've seen. At the beginning, he puts the 2 jokers in his pocket as he doesn't need them. By the end of the effect the 2 aces the spectator had end up in the pocket and he ends up holding the 2 jokers instead! Far better than the standard effect. There is (or was) video on youtube of him doing this.

It's also performed and explained on his, "Magic Farm" DVD. Great presentation for sure!
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Absolutely loved Pop's script! I've also seen some performers here in the Café ask the spectator (after the first card), "what... you don't believe me?" Both make for great interaction. Lynn
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Leave out the word: "PERFECT"!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2018, SamuelJonesMagic wrote:
Second one: Memory test

Now you guys, seem like a pretty observant audience so I wanna try something, a quick simple memory test

But since we’re doing magic this is actually a magic memory test, look, we’ll use these top cards

And you’d be right!

“queen/king”

Nice, if this was a regular memory test you’d be right, but I told you… this is a magic one and what you might not remember was me changing your two cards, turn them over

How do you cover the top change? When you put both cards in the spectator's hand, you lose the natural cover for the move.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
In Eddie Fechter's original, the top change is made as the spectator turns over the card in his hand and is surprised. When everyone looks up, the facedown card in the magician's hand has been changed.
SamuelJonesMagic
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Hey Pop,
Yeah I have never actually seen the original manuscript for this trick which is a shame, however for the top change: I replace one card for another in their hands look at them and ask them what they have while top changing the card I took from them. Then I put that card in their hand.

Wow,I'm not great at describing this, here's a link to good old David Blaine doing it like I do it so you can see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=095VAvWe_7I

PS, if there is footage of you performing this anywhere direct me too it, I genuinly love your work and it would be great to see your take on this trick Smile
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
In the original routine by Eddie Fechter, the "switch" move is made and the spectator is asked what card he thinks he is holding. Then he is told to check, and as he and the group are surprised by the color change, the top change is made. Then the magician shows his card and tosses it to the table or hands it to the spectator assistant. Then the two top cards of the pack are palmed and produced.

The surprise of the first revelation completely covers the top change move. The revelation of the second card covers the palming of the original cards for the pocket.

Part of Eddie's genius was to use the natural surprises of the effect to cover the moves that come next.

This method also allows the performer to control the timing of the revelations.

I am working the WC Fields bar next weekend. I will try to shoot video of Eddie's routine.
SamuelJonesMagic
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Thank you
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Seems like most of us (myself included) know of "2 card Monte" via Blaine and not the Fechter original. After seeing the Blaine clip, I realize how he could have gotten more milage out of this great trick... but I admit it was fun to watch again. Thanx Pop, for the original description! Lynn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Be honest what is it / two card monte - presentational ideas (51 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL