The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Getting started as a professional performer (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Oscar.Abraham
View Profile
New user
Mexico
32 Posts

Profile of Oscar.Abraham
Hey guys,

I'm not new to magic, I've been performing as an amateur for 10 years now, with playing cards and few other props -- no coins, sadly, but eventually I will. So after all the money and time invested in magic, I've decided to get myself started as a professional magician, but I'm feeling nervous about it. Fortunately, I am acquainted with many professional magicians who have given me their advise; many of them would agree that the best way to start, due to having so few props in my repertoire, would be in restaurants, coffee shops, bars, and smaller places where I can table hop. I thought that was good advise. What do you guys think?
Regards,

Oscar
stevefaulkner
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of stevefaulkner
Hi Oscar,
I agree. For me, the most important thing is to begin to feel comfortable performing professionally to calm those nerves. The best way being doing as much as possible. When I become pro, this really helped me to find my own style and boost my confidence. Though I had worked the street, close-up scared the heck out of me when I started out, it just felt like a very different thing. I now find it way easier to perform in a professional setting as opposed to friends and colleaugues. Good luck with it and I look forward to seeing how you get on.
Review Channel - Real Magic Review
https://youtube.com/realmagicreview

Podcast. Search 'Steve Faulkner's Magic Show' or
Apple https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/steve-faulkners-magic-show/id1484648736

Membership. https://www.onlinemagic.co

IBM UK Close-up Champion 2013
Award Winner at The Magic Circle Close-up Magician of the Year 2010
National Street Performing Champion 2009
British Street Performing Champion 2005
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I tell everyone I know who wants to move towards being a professional to read The Approach by Jamie D Grant. It's a workbook describing how to become a paid, strolling magician. It's geared towards the part-time professional who wants to perform on the weekends or just regular paid gigs, but still has a "day job". However, if you follow his advice and get regular gigs, you will be established and able to save up money if you decide to take the leap to full time performer.

At that point I would also recommend marketing and business courses. I'll just assume you are a good enough performer - but the best show in the world is going to flounder if the guy doing it can't sell the act. And you have to learn how to manage money in case there's times when you're not pulling in the gigs as much as you'd like. And don't forget retirement. It's a fun job, but I certainly don't want to be working until I die.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Oscar.Abraham
View Profile
New user
Mexico
32 Posts

Profile of Oscar.Abraham
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2018, stevefaulkner wrote:
Hi Oscar,
I agree. For me, the most important thing is to begin to feel comfortable performing professionally to calm those nerves. The best way being doing as much as possible. When I become pro, this really helped me to find my own style and boost my confidence. Though I had worked the street, close-up scared the heck out of me when I started out, it just felt like a very different thing. I now find it way easier to perform in a professional setting as opposed to friends and colleaugues. Good luck with it and I look forward to seeing how you get on.

Thank you so much for your kind advice, Steve.

I have mixed feelings at the moment, because I've done numerous amateur performances for friends & family throughout the years, and I feel very comfortable performing -- I don't even get sweaty hands or shaky at all. The one thing that I am not use to, however, is to approach people and offer my magic; I've always been asked to perform for my audience, so I'm not use to walk around offering to perform for people, especially if I see their having a private conversation, drink or eating. So that would be my first challenge.

I'll let you know how it goes when I do my first professional gig. I'm just expecting the worst and hoping for the best! Smile
Regards,

Oscar
Oscar.Abraham
View Profile
New user
Mexico
32 Posts

Profile of Oscar.Abraham
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2018, WitchDocChris wrote:
I tell everyone I know who wants to move towards being a professional to read The Approach by Jamie D Grant. It's a workbook describing how to become a paid, strolling magician. It's geared towards the part-time professional who wants to perform on the weekends or just regular paid gigs, but still has a "day job". However, if you follow his advice and get regular gigs, you will be established and able to save up money if you decide to take the leap to full time performer.

At that point I would also recommend marketing and business courses. I'll just assume you are a good enough performer - but the best show in the world is going to flounder if the guy doing it can't sell the act. And you have to learn how to manage money in case there's times when you're not pulling in the gigs as much as you'd like. And don't forget retirement. It's a fun job, but I certainly don't want to be working until I die.

I really appreciate the advice, Chris! I hadn't heard of that book. Already googled it and found it on Penguin Magic so I'll definitely add that on my cart since it's got some pretty good reviews. Hopefully the book will provide some advise on how to approach people that are not expecting to see magic at their dinner or night out, that's my biggest concern at the moment.

I definitely think I'll be a part time magician for a long time because I am one of those people that believes that having two incomes is way better than just one; plus, my whole intention is to gather some experience on my magic resume so in the near future I can perform for bigger.
Regards,

Oscar
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2018, Oscar.Abraham wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm not new to magic, I've been performing as an amateur for 10 years now, with playing cards and few other props -- no coins, sadly, but eventually I will. So after all the money and time invested in magic, I've decided to get myself started as a professional magician, but I'm feeling nervous about it. Fortunately, I am acquainted with many professional magicians who have given me their advise; many of them would agree that the best way to start, due to having so few props in my repertoire, would be in restaurants, coffee shops, bars, and smaller places where I can table hop. I thought that was good advise. What do you guys think?

It isn't PROPS! It's the PERFORMER'S PERSONALITY, and PRESENTATION! ("MAGIC" is NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING! --A professional performer sells ENTERTAINMENT!) Magic is only the vehicle!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
stevefaulkner
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of stevefaulkner
No worries at all Oscar. This is something that becomes so much easier with time. Though I’ve been doing this a long time first group of the night can still sometimes feel a bit daunting, especially when I don’t really feel in the mood, of had a long drive etc.

We all have our own way of approaching people, but I reckon that if you be yourself and be respectful, with a bit of confidence, then nearly everyone will be appreciative. Yes you’ll get the odd idiot, just ignore them and work for the people who are giving your the respect you deserve. Also, try different approaches, it’ll take a while before you find your ‘voice’, your own way of doing it that feels comfortable for you, but that’s ok. Just enjoy the process and feel good about doing something that many people avoid because of fear. When you hit your stride, you’ll never look back 😊
Review Channel - Real Magic Review
https://youtube.com/realmagicreview

Podcast. Search 'Steve Faulkner's Magic Show' or
Apple https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/steve-faulkners-magic-show/id1484648736

Membership. https://www.onlinemagic.co

IBM UK Close-up Champion 2013
Award Winner at The Magic Circle Close-up Magician of the Year 2010
National Street Performing Champion 2009
British Street Performing Champion 2005
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2018, stevefaulkner wrote:
The one thing that I am not use to, however, is to approach people and offer my magic; I've always been asked to perform for my audience, so I'm not use to walk around offering to perform for people, especially if I see their having a private conversation, drink or eating. So that would be my first challenge.

I would suggest you check out Real Work On Restaurants And Bars by Jay Sankey. It's a great DVD with a bunch of tips for restaurant magic.

And I always approach a group with something flashy which doesn't need patter like - Fire Wallet, Flash Paper, Appearing Cane, etc to grab their attention. Then I gauge their reaction and ask them if they want to see another cool demonstration. That way, it's almost as if they're inviting me to their table Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Getting started as a professional performer (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL