The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Are we living inside of a simulation? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2018, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2018, S2000magician wrote:

But with respect to the simulation, they would have all of those traits, no?

No. The programmer would be god-like in setting up the program, but wouldn't necessarily know all of the outcomes in advance.

Does omniscience necessarily include precognition?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I think so. But not being omniscient, I'm not sure.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
I think so. But not being omniscient, I'm not sure.

Nor am I.

However, I think that if someone knew every state of everything up to and including this moment, few would argue that that someone isn't omniscient.

I certainly wouldn't, and I think that I'd steer clear of that someone.

Just in case.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Back to my point: a programmer needn't be omniscient. By "god-like" I mean "creator-like." I'm postulating a Deist conception of God. The programmer/God sets up the simulation, not knowing all outcomes, and runs it to see what happens.

It's certainly not the God my father used to preach about, but it's rationally feasible.

I think.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
Back to my point: a programmer needn't be omniscient. By "god-like" I mean "creator-like." I'm postulating a Deist conception of God. The programmer/God sets up the simulation, not knowing all outcomes, and runs it to see what happens.

It's certainly not the God my father used to preach about, but it's rationally feasible.

I think.

Time is just part of the simulation. The operator would be outside of time as we know it. Omniscience would be a given, I think.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I am not so sure. I believe that there are schools of theology today that hold that the deity's knowledge is absolute with respect to the past and the present, but not with respect to the future. That is one way to accommodate "free will," which, of course, is difficult to reconcile if the future is known.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2018, 0pus wrote:
I am not so sure. I believe that there are schools of theology today that hold that the deity's knowledge is absolute with respect to the past and the present, but not with respect to the future. That is one way to accommodate "free will," which, of course, is difficult to reconcile if the future is known.

There is no future or past to a being that is not a part of this universe. Time is simply a measurement. Future and Past are always relative.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
In terms of a deity, I believe that's likely accurate, that God transcends time.

If the universe is simulated, however, it is reasonable to assume that it is modeled from the "real" universe; therefore, it too may be constrained by time. The time-spans of the simulated universes however may be very different.

Imagine if we constructed a machine that could simulate the entire universe--people, planets, nebula, everything. Assuming we had the computing power, we could run that simulation from big bang to the big crunch (billions of years in simulated time) in a few seconds. We would be able to tweak initial conditions of life (think Einstein's cosmological constant) and see the outcomes for a vast number of possible universes. Each simulation will have started and ended in the blink of an eye. So, in a way, we would be outside of time compared to the simulated beings. Because of this, we wouldn't be able to affect anything in the simulation in realtime. We would only be able to examine the data after-the-fact.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Quote:

I think.

That's a main idea of the theory. Well said.

The whole point to running the simulation is to see what the outcomes will be. After a few million or billion simulations you are in a better position to analyze the data. Possibly even to get a glimpse of your own universe's possible fate(s), and perhaps running enough simulations will give you the ability to avoid an unpleasant end.

B2B Magazine Test!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
...Think of it as some kind of debugging program being run by an extremely sophisticated programmer...

In the language of folks who talk about computers: What if it's time to apply updates to the operating system? Is the anti-virus/anti-malware software up to date? When was the last scan? And what to do with any items that scan turns up? Quarantine? Delete**?

There were some Twilight Zone type show episodes where people wake up to a world that's been updated somehow.

Describing the universe (rather than ones inner perception of being) as external computational process... that exploration may not uniquely lead to a place folks like. For example, situations where there's no shared sense of time such as Greg Egan's "Permutation City".

Whether someones preferred inner narrative helps them get along in the world or among others who have their own inner narratives is an open question.

** Peter Watts has also explored some "what ifs" in his novels including "Echopraxia". Here's a snipit of the fun from there.
Quote:
What was it Lianna had said? We've always thought c and friends ruled supreme, out to the quasars and beyond. What if they're just some kind of local ordinance? []What if they're a bug? [] Reality's iterating everywhere but there're these inconsistencies. Maybe not the right reality, mmm? Change alpha a just bit and the universe stops supporting life. Maybe alpha's wrong. Maybe life's just a parasitic offshoot of a corrupted OS. They know God exists already that's old. I think now they're trying to figure what to do with It.[]Maybe worship. Maybe disinfect
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Interesting discussion.
I wish I could participate but I'm happy to just read and learn.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2018, Steven Keyl wrote:
Quote:

I think.

That's a main idea of the theory. Well said.

The whole point to running the simulation is to see what the outcomes will be. After a few million or billion simulations you are in a better position to analyze the data. Possibly even to get a glimpse of your own universe's possible fate(s), and perhaps running enough simulations will give you the ability to avoid an unpleasant end.

Well, maybe the simulation isn't being "run" to accomplish anything. Maybe its just amusing like blowing bubbles...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Are we back to the tale of a butterfly dreaming?

The Stross question about just how much the world is affected by apperception (computation) stands.

There's also an ethical question. From the same book by Watts
Quote:
... was the universe a hologram or a simulation? Was its boundary a program or merely an interface and if the latter, what sat on the other side, watching it run? ...Computation, after all, implied a problem not yet solved, insights not yet achieved. There was really only one sort of program for which foreknowledge of the outcome didn't diminish the point of the exercise, ...
which brings up what it means to savor the experience of another sapient being... how much for a million instance/hours of (whose?) high quality emotional experience?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 24, 2018, S2000magician wrote: ...
Does omniscience necessarily include precognition?

There appear to be some limits in our model about how confident/certain one can be about how much information and when. And even then cosmic rays might zap the computer memory or a wire during runtime. Smile
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
And even then cosmic rays might zap the computer memory or a wire during runtime.

I knew that you were going to say that.

Smile
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2018, Pop Haydn wrote:

Well, maybe the simulation isn't being "run" to accomplish anything. Maybe its just amusing like blowing bubbles...

True. We will revisit a movie or book or song even though we've experienced it before. Why not revisit a fun simulation even if the outcome is known. It very well might just be for entertainment value.

B2B Magazine Test!

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 29, 2018, Steven Keyl wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2018, Pop Haydn wrote:

True. We will revisit a movie or book or song even though we've experienced it before. Why not revisit a fun simulation even if the outcome is known. It very well might just be for entertainment value.

It gets even more interesting when the book's author or the movie's producer decides to alter the work. Or when the IP owner decides to restart the story while ignoring some of their authorized/licensed story elements - say Star Wars or Star Trek.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Belief in Simulation is a dangerous cultish premise.

Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2018, Mr Salk wrote:

How do you mean? As a belief system or as a hypothetical?
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2018, Pop Haydn wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2018, Mr Salk wrote:

How do you mean? As a belief system or as a hypothetical?

A belief system. Nothing wrong with The Matrix as a thought experiment. Attempting to actually escape from it is dangerous.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Are we living inside of a simulation? (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL