The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Is it OK to perform if... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2004-05-30 12:35, prospero wrote:
Kihei Kid: What I meant was, there ARE these people out there with signs asking for money, but that's because they are poor and homeless and need the money. I am not, and therefore feel kind of bad.

Don't.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
...just don't do 3 card monte. Now, there's an effect with ethics (and legal) issues on the street.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
If the performance is entertaining, the hat will fill up. If not, the hat will be empty.

Those that put money in the hat will have done so because they feel you have provided a service.

It's quite all right (even necessary and important at times!) that one gets paid for entertaining.

Even if you have fun doing it.

And if the hat seems more empty than full at the end of the day, that's called paying your dues, and there's always tomorrow.

Jack Shalom
sniper1
View Profile
Veteran user
malta eu
343 Posts

Profile of sniper1
The problem is that the guy doesn't want to feel like a beggar
THE MOST CRAZY MAGICIAN ON THE MALTESE ISLANDS
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
Sniper1 has got it on the dot. That's it.
#1magician
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of #1magician
Of course its all right to accept money for a show. besides if there willing to give you money why turn it down. that's there only way of saying thank you.
i dont call 911, i simpily perform the bullet catch and than point the bullet at them and ask if they care to try.
Azaziel
View Profile
New user
California
51 Posts

Profile of Azaziel
Its not beggin if they give the money to u.. Its like a compliment for your performance.. On the other hand if you don't want to take the money, just explain to the spec that you appreciate the offer. Just think, if you performed and then walked around with a hat.. that's beggin
The greatest tick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Ok even though this thread is over a year old I still hear this question again and again. here's the point Street performance of magic for money IS ethical and an accepted part of the art form. It IS NOT Begging. (unless your a realy bad magician)
The art of performing magic is thousands of years old. During the Medival period street performers would enter the town square on market day. They would draw a CIRCLE in the Villiage Square and perform Feats of acrobatics music and "juggling" Mind you the definition for A juggler (More properly Jongleur) Is one who makes objects float in the air as If by magic. IT wasnt untill recent history that the two art forms of prestidigtaion and juggling became seperate. robert Houdin uses the term in him memiors "to juggle it away"
The Jongleur where the prdecessors of The European Circus. This is the tradition of magic and most forms of magic are decendant from the street performers of old.
Secondly only in the US are we uptight about street performers. everywhere else in the world I have traveled there have been street performers. one of my fondest memories was on a day I was traveling through Germany and saw a street mqagician. even though I could not speak the language I was thrilled by his performance.
To answer the question finaly THERE IS NO ETHICAL PROBLEM PERFORMING ON THE STREET FOR MONEY!And There is historical justification for doing so.
best of luck and stay off my corner!(just kidding )
Michael taggert
Fredericksburg VA
1/2 of the duo LesJongleurs
This years show "too dangerous Men"
magic_sailor
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magic_sailor
I aggree with every thing that everyone has to say.... I just have one question of my own. I love doing magic for people but like deerbourne said money helps you get more magic stuff so I guess my question is... How do you best approch people (with the intent of getting money)?
MAGIC: for those who believe no excuse is necessary. for those who don't none will sufice.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2004-05-30 12:35, prospero wrote:
...Kihei Kid: What I meant was, there ARE these people out there with signs asking for money, but that's because they are poor and homeless and need the money. I am not, and therefore feel kind of bad.

Sorry to be real blunt here, but, the poor and homeless are BEGGING. You are ENTERTAINING. Big difference. They are takeing money, you are earning money. The people that pay (tip) you are paying for haveing a good time, just like they pay to go to the movies for a good time. These people are not giving you maoney that would go to carity, they are giving you money that goes for entertainment.

Hope that settles any moral problems you may have.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I really wish we could edit these things so I can catch my typos. Sorry about the spelling in above post.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
"The thing is, I'd just feel kind of wrong going out there to a public space, putting a hat out, and waiting for people to put money in it. I'm not really sure why. Hmmmm... "

If you're respecting the space of other buskers, no problem.

If you go to a busking venue and DON'T put out a hat (no law says you have to), you may be implying that all the buskers are "free entertainment," which would hurt the others worse.

I have heard of some that don't take tips, but simply ask people to take their card, but those buskers make it clear in their pitch that they have jobs and are just advertizing for gigs.

Most full timers make it clear in their pitch that tips are their sole income.

In my most recent busking efforts, I told the crowd that I did NOT make my living by street performing, and that their tips would be divided, 50/50, between improving my show and donations to charity.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
[Slapping forehead, rolling eyes]

Okay, one more time for those unfamiliar with Stone's Law, which reads in part:

"Never argue with people who want to give you money."
And its corollary, "Make it easy for them to give it to you."

Leland
Muggers
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Muggers
If you feel funny about putting a hat out, don't. Do your tricks and if someone gives you a buck or two, take it as a tip. You're like a waiter. I had a friend who used to play guitar and sing on the corner for the experience of the crowd so when he got to the stage, he'd be familiar with people standing and watching him. That make any sense?
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
"How do you best approach people with the intent of getting money"

Ok so here it is, you are not out on the corner panhandling for dollars. you are putting on a show. people will stop and watch. at the end of your show you ask to be paid for your work. (in the trade this is your Hat line) This is usually at the end of your set just before you perform the final closeing seconds of your best routine. Then you pass the hat and people reward you for the good show with tens and twenties. that's how you do it. if you need a hat line PM me and I will send you one. "remeber kids if mom and dad don't give you money for the magic man it is only because the don't love you" is not a great line.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
OK this really has me confused to say the least.

You do magic perform a service, people pay you or they don't, the purest form of gratification. This is street performing.

If you are scared to go do it then say that. It is not ethics, or conflict, you are afraid to start street performing. This is OK and we all went through it. Just don't disguise it from yourself. It is scary no doubt especially the first time. If you want to do this then you have to develop the guts to do it no 2 ways about it.

Do the world a favor and find the guts and become a good street performer. The world can always use more good street performers.

Think of it this way. Many people are actually having their lives brightened up by a good street performer. Your not taking their money, they are happy for the experience and want to show you their appreciation. This is NOT begging. You have a skill and people pay to see it.

Best wishes.

Danny
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
drango
View Profile
New user
Fishers, IN
9 Posts

Profile of drango
I do a good bit of Walk-aroung entertaining. That is hard to practice/rehearse for. So I often do impromptu street magic. I don't put out a hat or accept money for this because of several reasons.

1) Some places you do need a license or permit for busking. Especially in Europe.

2) I am sometimes trying new material.

I've had great fun doing this and it has served my paying gigs well. Plus we met some very interesting people. In Milan, Italy I was doing some street work with T'Karri my Owl. When I passes busker mime, they usually will not break character, he got so excited, he came down, grabbed his camera, and wanted his pix taken with us. Pix at: http://drango.com/Italy/BobShows.htm
Bob Shimer
Stories and Magic with Bob and Friends
http://StoriesAndMagic.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-06-05 01:16, prospero wrote:
Sniper1 has got it on the dot. That's it.

You're not begging, you're performing. I don't know where "Elsewhere" is, but just check on their rules for street performing, whether you need a permit or not and just go out and have fun! If you really feel you're taking money from the homeless beggers and you don't need all the monty yourself, either give some of it to various homeless on your way home or donate some of it to a homeless shelter.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Sorry my friend, but I can hardly believe we are discussing questions like this here.
Is it ok to use a red deck even though I am color-blind?
Is it ok to do levitations for people who sit in wheelchairs?
See what I mean?
This is really ridiculous.
Do what you wanna do. No matter if you are rich or poor, as long as the magic is good.
I don`t even understand what you want to imply with your question.
MrMagic1
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MrMagic1
This is pretty rediculous.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Is it OK to perform if... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL