The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Envelope-atron (32 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2793 Posts

Profile of NeilS
When I received the links for this release I was blown away - so many videos and with such diversity. In addition to the envelope construction there are sections on p***ing, sw****ing, m******* o**s, pred******* and so much more. All is clearly and expertly explained.

As someone who uses envelopes a lot, there is 'much food for thought' and you can tailor what you make to fit your routine(s).

However there is a fair bit of art and crafts involved and, if you are not prepared for this, then it may be best to pass this by. But if you do not mind cutting, pasting, modifying and some construction you will be rewarded with a very versatile and deceptive prop. And once you have made one, the next will certainly be easier and quicker.

Another very solid, practical and thorough release from Tom.
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1392 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
The reason I have stayed clear of many envelope routines is because of how un-natural many of them look.

This looks great so far and I have many ideas for routines. Thanks Tom.

Joel.
northernmiracles.com
RexDeash
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of RexDeash
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2018, NeilS wrote:
When I received the links for this release I was blown away - so many videos and with such diversity. In addition to the envelope construction there are sections on p***ing, sw****ing, m******* o**s, pred******* and so much more. All is clearly and expertly explained.

As someone who uses envelopes a lot, there is 'much food for thought' and you can tailor what you make to fit your routine(s).

However there is a fair bit of art and crafts involved and, if you are not prepared for this, then it may be best to pass this by. But if you do not mind cutting, pasting, modifying and some construction you will be rewarded with a very versatile and deceptive prop. And once you have made one, the next will certainly be easier and quicker.

Another very solid, practical and thorough release from Tom.

I completely agree with this review. The depth of the explanation is commendable and the possibilities have been thoroughly explored and explained. I was struck by the amount of information offered as some creators either like to hold back on stuff or don't even perform and test their own material to get to explore it in depth.

Rest of the information is already available on the thread and if you like what you have seen, I recommend you take action and get it. It will be a worthwhile investment.

Rex
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
505 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
Hey, thank you Neil and Rex!

Yes, there is some arts-and-crafts involved, and the first one will take about 15-20 minutes to make. But once you know how to do it, and you have a process, you can bang out several of them fairly quickly. And they're sturdy.

All the "special" materials, like most of the gimmicks I cook up, can be found at the bakery. And as long as you're nice to the bakers, they'll give you the ______ for free.
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
923 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Quick Question

Has any of the purchasers made their first envelopes up yet??

Regards
Dr Rob
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1673 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
I'll be trying it this weekend if I get a chance, but I've only skimmed the first video. First of all, he's funny. I appreciate that, heh. Second of all, it fooled me and I can't wait to go through the instructions. If no one else chimes in before that, I'll post my thoughts after having made one up.
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
505 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2018, Nathan Alexander wrote:
I'll be trying it this weekend if I get a chance, but I've only skimmed the first video. First of all, he's funny. I appreciate that, heh. Second of all, it fooled me and I can't wait to go through the instructions. If no one else chimes in before that, I'll post my thoughts after having made one up.

It's always good to know when your talents are appreciated.

And *ahem* after careful consideration, based on recent developments here in L & G, I would like to make a few things known:
- There is nothing illegal about this envelope
- It's a utility method, which does not require you to snoop around in someone's private life
- A successful s***** constitutes as a ..."breach"... of reality, but does not use any questionable techniques
- Anytime they write something on a billet, their information is not private, will be logged in a mental database, may be leaked to a third-party, and you may unsubscribe from these poorly-formed jokes at anytime... and that information will be logged, too.
:D
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1673 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Finally got away to watch most of the videos (I have two left).

Tom is a clever guy. He's very meticulous in the instructions. First things first, if you hate arts and crafts, you may not like this. It depends how bad you want to do what this can do, and for how much less than alternatives. The arts and crafts will take time, but like all things, you'll get quicker. I haven't made one yet (I need two things - you'll have most already). I'm going to for one reason: its switching ability....and cards. Smile (I think I'd have to make the window smaller by a hair maybe, and use a half-card, would you agree Tom?)

Pretty dang cool. The multiple outs and other stuff is great, and it's very obvious he uses it in his own performing (and uses it probably extensively as you really see the evolution and thought put into so many details), but I want to make one to do a Dean Dill "Revelation"/Jay Sankey paperclipped style prediction with verbal linguistics and my mini-index.

His burned/restored/time warp card trick is great, that's another I'll try. And I like that the 'move' he uses in this routine is simple and not flashy or unmotivated in the routine. It's not even a move, and I appreciate that (other guys might try to make it a thing when you don't need to). If you see the trick, you'll know what I mean.

But anyway, I'm always impressed with his DIY. It's not just DIY because you can, the envelope is cheap to make and does everything it says. If I were more of a billet guy, I might have more to say about those faculties for multiple outs, etc, but I'm no authority. I just got excited for the card stuff (hey... I'm not a pure mentalist. Smile ) Great work from a great mind. Thanks Tom.
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
505 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
I've added a little material tip to the explanation series, which significantly decreases the construction time, and the material is MUCH easier to work with.

Rather than having to measure and cut 2 kinds of ******* separately, do extra trimming, tape everything securely in place, etc., it is now more of a "measure this, cut that, cut these, tape it all together" process.

That little change in material really streamlined the construction.

Thanks Last Laugh!

Here's the link for anyone still on the fence Smile http://wanderingmagic.com/products/envelope

It's also on sale for the next few days.

And a video of the basic switch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y7yf0dL3UQ
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1326 Posts

Profile of bond19
From a cosmetic point of view. Can the window have square corners or do they need to be rounded?
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
923 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2018, bond19 wrote:
From a cosmetic point of view. Can the window have square corners or do they need to be rounded?

Hi Bond19,

The window can be any shape you wish rounded corners even a whole round window would be fine.

Regards
Dr Rob
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1326 Posts

Profile of bond19
Thanks Dr Rob,

I’ll hit the buy button Smile
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
505 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
Hello Bond19!

As Dr Rob said, the window can be square. I made the corners rounded, since I think it looks a little more natural. Most regular window envelopes (non-magic-related) have rounded corners.

And I'll be on the lookout for your order!

Tom
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
505 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
A few people have asked this privately, so I'll answer out in the open for anyone wondering:
"Will this work with a different size envelope?"

- Yup. If you don't like the small pay envelopes, you can scale it up to the size you need. The method is flexible and not dependent on size.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1015 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
For the second time in recent weeks, I was offered a free product for me to review.

Tom Phoenix thought that I would like his Envelope-atron, and he took a chance even after I told him that if I didn't like it, I would be sure to offer my negative opinion. I will not compromise myself by not calling them the way I see them.

Happily for him, I do like this very much.

One thing that he was lucky with, is that I am actually very good at arts and crafts, and I have all sorts of metal rulers and straight back razor blades and tapes and glues, and I also have a supply of all kinds of envelopes, including ones with large windows that I was able to cannibalize, so I was up to the challenge of creating Tom's excellent Sw***hing Envelope (do I really have to star that out? I guess so).

It took me about a half-hour to make my first one, but only because I take my time and do it right, including rounding the corners of the window, since every window envelope that I've seen has rounded corners.

One thing I definitely like about it is the fact that it is a window envelope, so specs can see what is inside it.

I was invited to a birthday party for my cousin's child last weekend, and I had one of the people there that I did not previously know insert one of their dollar bills for safekeeping with the serial number folded to the inside so that I and everyone else could not see it.

After it sat on the table for a time while I did some other things, I took the dollar bill out and handed it to another person, and then I proceeded to divine the serial number of the bill using intuition and tells that the person holding the dollar was giving off.

I was very pleased with how everything went, and I would say that everyone was yelling and screaming, except that this was not that type of crowd and I'm not that type of performer so I can't say it, but a good number of people were impressed with what I did, and even my wife, who is tired of all of my card tricks, asked me afterwards "How did I do that"?

I use special envelopes for various effects, including the Tarbell Envelope and Matt Melo's Dark Arts and Jay Sankey's Omnilope and Mike Kirby's X-Act, which comes with a DF card, but I replaced it with another special envelope and eliminated the DF so the card can be handed out.

This will be added to my envelope arsenal.

I know that it's been said here previously, but if Arts and Crafts scare you, don't buy this.

But if you're OK with that, this is a very good thing.

Besides giving very good and thorough instructions on how to make the envelope and multiple ways of using it, Tom gives a number of routines that I am considering adding to my repertoire, although my head spins with the sheer number of things that I have in my Penguin account that I've forgotten about and want to re-remember. Tom also credits a number of others who have paved the way for his creation, although I wasn't familiar with any of them myself.

Tom informed me that he recently re-vamped his website, so you might want to take another look at it if you haven't been there recently.

http://wanderingmagic.com/products

The Envelope-atron gets a very high grade from me!

Well done, Tom.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1298 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Is this a Ted Lesley envelope with a window?
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
505 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2018, Jerry wrote:
Is this a Ted Lesley envelope with a window?

Nope. Based on the description/instructions on Steven's Magic, these envelopes are different in more than just the window.

Side-thought: I'm not sure why Steven's would put instructions for the product on the sale page... that seems "counterproductive".
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
505 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
This is a last-call for anyone who wants the DIY explanation of the envelope - it's currently 30% off.

After tomorrow, this will no longer be available from me, as the rights are being sold to a producer. I don't know what the price will be once it's produced, but I do know that they are manufacturing the envelopes themselves... if past envelopes are any guide, it will definitely cost more than $15.

So if you want to learn how to make these yourself and get free updates and/or support, pick this up by tomorrow night.
http://wanderingmagic.com/products/envelope

Tom Phoenix
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
505 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
Oh, and for everyone who gets this today or tonight: Read the PDF first! It will save you a ton of time in making the envelope.
Drtriage
View Profile
Elite user
My garden fence has
439 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
I'm going to take the plunge before it goes off-site. Keep telling myself I must spend less - but his does look good (even although there have been very few reviews and I have a bit of an idea from watching the demo). Still for seems to be a solid, well thought out, workable item - and I'm not scared of bit of manufacturing - it's good to support the creator.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Envelope-atron (32 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL