The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Behind The Scenes At Copperfield's Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
No, I've never been behind stage at David's show, but I often give a lot of thought to what must go on behind the scenes at the theatre from the time they begin to unpack to the moment they take off for the next show.

I imagine there is just a TREMENDOUS amount of management by David, that would be nessecary to keep a show of that nature functioning smoothly.

That's not to mention the business side of David. He must be a master negotiater. And he must surely be one of the world's greatest business men.

For all this, I really admire him. He makes the IMPOSSIBLE work, and I'm not referring to his illusions here.

Has anybody here ever been behind the scenes at David's show, and could you share stories, anecdotes, etc with us, that would help us all appreciate what goes on behind the curtain before the house lights go down?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
The March 1992 issue of MAGIC magazine had a great article (5 pages) on what it's like backstage at Copperfield's show. It was written by Mike Caveney and is titled, appropriately enough, "David Copperfield: Backstage."

While that was some time ago, I remember that the article was a fascinating look into what goes on during his shows.

You might want to see if you can get a hold of that issue. (In case you're wondering how I knew the exact issue, MAGIC magazine has a complete index available on their site. Convenient for someone like me who has every issue they've published!)

Michael
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
MagicMikey,
That Mike Caveney article was one of my favorites of Magic Magazine and I've been a subscriber since day one.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Do you also have the special magic book they provided as a bonus for subscribing from the start? It's a cool book, isn't it?

I read the Caveney article while I was still working on a cruise ship. I still remember how exciting it was to read that issue. I still tell magicians about Copperfield using the letter board off-stage so that he can remember the spectator's name. It's a great example of the little things you can do to make your show special.

Michael
TinMan4
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of TinMan4
I've known Chris Kenner for years and have had the opportunity to be backstage before and after various performances. I can't say I've seen the workings going on, but there are tons of people working on tasks all the time. Chris and I hung out in the design lab that travels with the show. It's a very impressive set up and it all runs from flight cases. Multiple flat panels displays, etc. all aid in making the visual element of David's marketing and promotion come to light. The rest of the backstage seemed very organized. Everyone knows their tasks and accomplishes them in an efficient manner. Yes, the Magic Mag. article did a great job to capture David behind the scenes..not to mention that he and Mike C. are good friends. David is truly a pioneer in modern magic and busines.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I don't have that issue of Magic that you mentioned, but I will keep my eyes peeled for it when I go to Abbotts flea market and auction coming up the 15th of may.

I go every year, and always manage to pick up a few bargains. They have literally tons of stuff to choose from.

But as far as David behind the scenes, I was hoping that someone on the forum may have actually been there and could relate personal stories.

Tin Man, you said the design lab actually travels with the show? They design new illusions while on the road? That sounds incredible!

You know, I always wondered where he ever finds time for rehearsals while doing five hundred plus shows a year! That sounds like real magic to me!
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
What you are looking for was the basis of a 15 page spread in the October 2001 issue of Genii magazine.

It had David on the cover and was a backstage look at putting the Copperfield show together. From the moment the curtain dropped in Cleveland, to the moment it went up the next night in Washington, DC. Complete with pictures of them moving in, hanging lights, putting the illusions together and pictures of the aforementioned Magic Lab.

In working backstage for a touring illusion show, I can attest that a lot of work goes into the 2 hours you see on stage. In most cases, you move into the theater at 8 in the morning and work all day to set up for the 2 hour show and spend 3 hours tearing down. It is interesting to hear from people who come to the show and think that it was just "magically" set up and don't realize what goes on behind the scenes.

Check it out...it's a great article.

Michael
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
If I can find that issue, I'll surely check it out!
Son of a Beat
View Profile
New user
Montréal, Canada
82 Posts

Profile of Son of a Beat
I can go looong with Copperfield backstage stories. I've been backstage for two of his shows (Spring 2009: The Lottery and 13 ending). If you have any specific questions not related to secrets, I'll be pleased to anwser them.

But David Copperfield is not on stage for the setup. He comes in about an hour before the show and leaves right after the show. His magic team manages everything, especially his technical director/stage manager/video manager that work really hard(René Nadeau: he's working with Copperfield for almost 15 years He's also his "shadow" double).

The head carp (the "stinky" guy joke for the Steel Plate, the one with the pinch) is in charge of packing, unpacking and assembling the illusions. The Magic heads are Homer Liwag (the crystal gag in Tides) and ?? can't remember his name but he's the egg guy and the hands of the PK/mouse effect in the house (he's an old old friend of Copperfield and the main consultant, I guess). They are in charge of the illusions testing, floor cues and texts (there's a lot of them), floor pacing list,... Each magic assistant is in charge of one (or more) illusion of effect, he has to make shure everything will be set the right way. Local technicians push and bolt the stuff for them. Except followspots and flyman.

Any more questions, PM me.
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Quote:
On 2009-08-01 21:55, Son of a Beat wrote:
I can go looong with Copperfield backstage stories. I've been backstage for two of his shows (Spring 2009: The Lottery and 13 ending). If you have any specific questions not related to secrets, I'll be pleased to anwser them.

But David Copperfield is not on stage for the setup. He comes in about an hour before the show and leaves right after the show. His magic team manages everything, especially his technical director/stage manager/video manager that work really hard(René Nadeau: he's working with Copperfield for almost 15 years He's also his "shadow" double).

The head carp (the "stinky" guy joke for the Steel Plate, the one with the pinch) is in charge of packing, unpacking and assembling the illusions. The Magic heads are Homer Liwag (the crystal gag in Tides) and ?? can't remember his name but he's the egg guy and the hands of the PK/mouse effect in the house (he's an old old friend of Copperfield and the main consultant, I guess). They are in charge of the illusions testing, floor cues and texts (there's a lot of them), floor pacing list,... Each magic assistant is in charge of one (or more) illusion of effect, he has to make shure everything will be set the right way. Local technicians push and bolt the stuff for them. Except followspots and flyman.

Any more questions, PM me.

I had a hard time believing that Copperfield unpacked his props and set them up.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2947 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
"I had a hard time believing that Copperfield unpacked his props and set them up."

Really, that's why he has to arrive an hour before the show. It surely isn't to put on his costume.
Northern California
Johnny_Dee
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Johnny_Dee
Quote:
On 2009-08-01 21:55, Son of a Beat wrote:

His magic team manages everything, especially his technical director/stage manager/video manager that work really hard(René Nadeau: he's working with Copperfield for almost 15 years He's also his "shadow" double).

I think that René Nadeau is a guy from Quebec isn't it??? I would be interested to know how he get to work with Copperfield. Just out of curiosity.

Johnny
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Quote:
On 2009-08-02 00:00, hbwolkov wrote:
"I had a hard time believing that Copperfield unpacked his props and set them up."

Really, that's why he has to arrive an hour before the show. It surely isn't to put on his costume.

There is NO WAY that Copperfield takes his illusions out of the truck and puts them together. Read the posts above, it's been stated that he has stage hands to do it for him.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
aboycemagic
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of aboycemagic
I had a friend who was one of his assitants at one point. You know how he pretended to sing to a love song before the baby trick? Well for a little bit when my friend worked for him (about a year ago) my friend really sang that song( he has a good voice). My friend said that David was very nice to everyone and he got to talk to him every once in a while.
Magic1man
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Magic1man
Quote:
On 2009-08-02 00:00, hbwolkov wrote:

Do you honestly believe he could set up such a massive show and get is makeup and costume on in one hour? I bet the average birthday magician has to arrive at least 30 to 45 minutes early to set up for an average party show!!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I was local crew for DC in '93. Helped hang lights and backdrops. During most of the show I was in the back of the house with a walkie talkie at the ready. Near the end of the show, I was told to get backstage fast. I did and I witnessed Snow from backstage. VERY interesting, especially since this was before I was into magic at all. And yes, I did sign the NDA.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Of course money changes everything but, in the beginning .. he did it all. I spoke with him years ago about the logistics of the show. He told me he unloaded the trucks and all. It was good to hear .. heck, I'm still breaking my back.

Steve
knightmagic98
View Profile
Regular user
Frisco, TX
143 Posts

Profile of knightmagic98
I am surprised that if you were backstage at a Copperfield show that you are allowed to speak about your experience in any form. It is my understanding that most traveling shows have people sign a non-disclosure agreement that prevents them from talking about ANY aspect of the day. Of course that includes any "secrets" but, also any discussion about operations/personnel/programming/etc. I also believe that breaking that agreement can result in possible lawsuits. Was that not the case with Copperfield?
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I really doubt that discussing common elements of touring shows would constitute a breach of the NDA. So much of the work the local crew does is in no way proprietary to magic... loading/unloading gear, rigging trusses, hanging soft goods etc. are common to just about every touring show that comes through. It's when the illusions come out of the crates that the dynamics change.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2009-08-03 01:55, Chezaday wrote:
Of course money changes everything but, in the beginning .. he did it all. I spoke with him years ago about the logistics of the show. He told me he unloaded the trucks and all. It was good to hear .. heck, I'm still breaking my back.

Steve

It's only a matter of time, Steve, only a matter of time... Smile
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Behind The Scenes At Copperfield's Show (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL