The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Split focus Gregory Wilson (83 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..14~15~16 [Next]
Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
612 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
Split focus by Gregory Wilson
Looks like a new release from Greg.

"Split Focus has been in my arsenal every day for the last 11 years. Why? It's a guaranteed knockout, feels impromptu and can be performed casually or formally for any size audience, close-up or stand-up."

Anyone heard of this that can comment?
C-suite magic
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of C-suite magic
Yes, it's a high impact triple coin appearance and vanish. Gimmicked. I anticipate this will sell well.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
This looks pretty great. Like everything else he does, Greg does this so well.

I'd like to know who makes the coins and if the replicas are indeed "premium". I would hope so for $150.

Robert
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
I purchased Split-Focus in February 2018 at Gregory Wilson's Lecture
Which was just so great, amazing and funny as could be.

I have this with me when I leave the house and am ready to bust out with it.

Well worth the $150.

I think Split-Focus leaves the spectators head spinning when
all 3 coins are Gone Gone Gone. Sometimes they don't know what to say or how to react. (deer in the headlights)

I am not the best coin guy but I do have a personality, I'm kind of funny and can do Split-Focus.

https://thesecretsource.com/gregs-gadgetry/split-focus
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
This looks great. Being in a non-US country, the routine makes perfect sense. Since I am not familiar with Eisenhower vs replica Morgan, is there an advantage of one over the other (apart from aesthetics)? Mainly in terms of the coin composition itself.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2018, Neznarf wrote:

Well worth the $150.

all 3 coins are Gone Gone Gone. Sometimes they don't know what to say or how to react. (deer in the headlights)

I am not the best coin guy but I do have a personality, I'm kind of funny and can do Split-Focus.

I watched the video and the effect looks great and interests me. However, I wonder how clean you are using the secret "retrieving/ditching device" at the end of the routine. Seems like your coin could reappear in an unusual location and be visable from a certain angle. Am I wrong on this?
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
C-suite magic
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of C-suite magic
You are right Terry.
Magicalos
View Profile
Special user
557 Posts

Profile of Magicalos
Love gregs stuff...in for the morgans
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Anyone know if this differs from other sp**t coin gaffs on the market, such as Johnny Wong's Super Triple? That one costs $76.99 at Penguin: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S11762

Gregory Wilson's presentation is fun.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2018, Neznarf wrote:

Well worth the $150.

Neznarf, did you get the Ike’s or the Morgan's?
Do the Morgan’s appear soft and worn or new and uncirculated?

My first impression was the same as Jerry's, this looks just like a triple split coin routine such as those available from Johnny Wong, John Jurney, Roy Kueppers, etc.
The secret “retrieving/ditching device” seems pretty commonplace as well.

I love Greg's stuff but need to know more details about this. I’d be disappointed to receive a gaff I already own multiple versions of, especially for that price.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I had a '64 Kennedy Super Triple set and I was not very impressed. You could see the outline of the magnet on the tails side if I remember correctly.

Neznarf - Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Greg's set consists of two one-sided heads coins and a double sided coin. So, you can't show the m****t side of two of the coins, which to me is better than having something on the back like a poker chip or an Oriental coin or even a tails side if the outline of the magnet is visible.

Also, how do the Morgan replicas look? Do you know who made them? There are good and bad Morgan replicas.

I'm trying to decide between the Morgan replicas and the Ikes.

Thanks,
Robert
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I must have posted right after videoman...

Neznarf - Can you tell us what your coins look like? I've seen very good Morgan replicas (John Jurney) and some pretty bad ones. Did you get the Morgans?

I assume the Ike's are real coins???

Robert
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Another vote for the Ike vs Morgan comparison Smile
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2018, Magicmike221 wrote:

"Split Focus has been in my arsenal every day for the last 11 years. Why? It's a guaranteed knockout, feels impromptu and can be performed casually or formally for any size audience, close-up or stand-up."

Personally, nothing against Gregory of course, but I don't believe anything could be in the personal arsenal of most commercial magicians for 11 years without releasing it to make some money.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2018, John C wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2018, Magicmike221 wrote:

Personally, nothing against Gregory of course, but I don't believe anything could be in the personal arsenal of most commercial magicians for 11 years without releasing it to make some money.

I respectfully disagree. I worked with Brian Gillis at Buster Muggs in the 80's when he was doing his coin and bill in sweet n low packet.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
This is great. A bit like Eric Jones' Oxy Clean routine which is my personal favorite...though I changed the final vanish to a technique taught in Metal 2...so you could seemingly show your hands empty while not having to ditch.

Eric's uses a WL OxF coin (turtle + dolphin Smile

And now, Im kind of bummed I sold my OxF!

Anyway, you can't go wrong with Greg and his presentation.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
It's the routine that looks great - retrieving/copping the coins on the off beat.

I can see that there would be some angle sensitivity where you could not be surrounded, but very cool.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
I’m a huge fan of Gregory Wilson (going to see his live show tonight in fact) but TBH the routine doesn’t look like anything I would call revolutionary or ground-breaking. And the steal/ditch doesn’t seem to be on the offbeat to me, more like on the beat I guess you might say.

Paul Richards had a very nice routine using a triple split coin that had arguably a cleaner and more deceptive vanish at the end.
Sean Goodman has a very nice routine also using his Secret Servante. Eric Jones OxyClean has already been mentioned.
Point is that there are many existing routines which by the nature of them are very similar. It really comes down to personal preference which is “the best”.

As much as I love Greg's stuff it’s not clear to me that this brings anything new to the table, and for the pricetag on this I would expect it too.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I agree. I hate the Wong triple coins but paul richards steal/ditch using his scrubber gimmick is the best. Greg’s routine looks good and is classic Greg.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
I love the STC Coin set. Not sure how this differs, have not seen it yet. Wiith a holdout, this routine is easily accomplished with the STC set
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Split focus Gregory Wilson (83 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL