The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » If I could say ONE THING to the director(s) of Penn and Teller: Fool Us... (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
...it would be this: you've lost your way with Alyson Hannigan.

She has clearly been directed to play to the camera, not the live audience, but also to project as if she were playing to the live audience. As a result, it comes off as if she's shouting at the camera. Why shout at the camera? Her shots, when she's speaking to us, are tight. Why not draw us in, by having her talk to us, rather than having her blast us backwards?

Jonathan Ross played to the camera and spoke in a conversational tone. Alyson Hannigan, when she speaks with the magicians (while P&T are deliberating), also uses a charming, genuine, conversational tone. But as soon as she turns to the camera, she speaks in this high-energy, presentational manner that would be perfectly at home if she were working the crowd.

I would like it so much more if the lady were permitted to address us in normal tones, not project at us like we're 100 feet away in the balcony.

Not that anyone asked.
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
I think you're nitpicking here. She directly speaks to the camera probably 4 times an episode for 10 seconds each. I never even thought about it. But Jonathan Ross was a way better host. He was charming, funny and he looked like he was enjoying the magic. The perfect host would be Neil Patrick Harris though Smile
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I like her.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
I don't dislike her. In fact, I DO like her.

I just hate the way they can't figure out that if she's looking at the camera, she doesn't have to yell. Funny how when you're miked, and you're talking to the camera, not the crowd, there's no reason to shout.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yeah, I've got to say I like her much better than Ross. I think she's coming into her own more on the show in the past couple of seasons. Initially, she was an outsider, knew nothing of magic, little about hosting, and was quite stiff as a host.

I don't know why producers think actors could make good hosts as often they don't, just like not all athletes can do well as broadcasters. Some can and do, most can't.

But over her time on Fool Us she has fit in with the guys and the performers. She's up for most things even if a bit hesitant. She should be playing to the camera - it IS a television show first. The in-house audience is secondary and more for the performers if anyone.

I think she's become more fun and natural and has fit in and found her place must more than Ross ever did. As for the yelling, that is a byproduct of having and performing before a live audience and so close to the taping. Much different than say a sitcom audience.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
That part never bothered me, but the entire premise of the show - you perform and we'll pick it apart - just not my cup of tea and I don't think we need to train audiences to do the same thing other times they see a magician. Watch it and then pick it apart. Gee I hope you guys think I have a right to an opinion. Josho, I respect your opinion.
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
582 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
I think she brings a wide eyed innocence to the role of stand in spectator that is great for reactions.

Can't comment on the vocal direction she gets. Smile
BubbitoTheGreat
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of BubbitoTheGreat
It looks like she’s being replaced with Brooke Burke next season.
HofzinsersFan
View Profile
New user
Scotland
81 Posts

Profile of HofzinsersFan
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2021, gregg webb wrote:
That part never bothered me, but the entire premise of the show - you perform and we'll pick it apart - just not my cup of tea and I don't think we need to train audiences to do the same thing other times they see a magician. Watch it and then pick it apart. Gee I hope you guys think I have a right to an opinion. Josho, I respect your opinion.

This is what I have an issue with too. The entire premise of the show is just...well, isn't it kind of bad for the art in general? Reducing it to mere puzzles to be solved -and if they are solved then the magician 'loses' and the hosts get to feel and act all smug.
This can't be good for magic?
Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

.Smile What do you mean you don't read?

You need to read FITZKEE
- Dick Oslund, 2019.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » If I could say ONE THING to the director(s) of Penn and Teller: Fool Us... (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL