The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Clear Cups & Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Avin
View Profile
New user
Georgia
53 Posts

Profile of Avin
I agree with James Harrison: P&T's version of cups and balls using clear plastic cups and tin foil balls killed! Extremely magical and in no real way expository. It's been at least 13 or 14 years since I had the chance to see them perform in New York and the C&B routine was a real highlight of the show. Now, of course, MOFO stole the show as far as I'm concerned, but that's another story...
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1739 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2004-12-21 19:33, taliesin wrote:
Terry,

I was interested to see the picture of your cups on Jim Riser's website. In your crystal cups routine, did you use a cupful of the small glass balls as a single final load?

Richard

The loads are as follows:

Large balls under the end cups, then the cupful of smallest balls under the middle cup, and as the finale, the largest ball out of the same middle cup.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
MetalBender
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of MetalBender
If I'm not mistaken Penn and Tellar didn't expose the way the trick worked because they were loading lemons, and potatoes and al kinds of things, then stealing them out and lapping them. It's been a loooooooong time since I've seen it but I remember enjoying it because it was one of those routines where they tell you they are going to expose it, but they actually fool the audience. I could be way off base but it was a skillfull bit of misdirection by Penn and some good slieght of hand by Tellar. I could be wrong but remember it's not the trick they saw, it's the trick they remember.
"Magic up close and personal, the way is should be."

http://www.DelusionMasters.com
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Thanks, Terry. Have you ever published the routine?
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1739 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2004-12-22 17:50, taliesin wrote:
Thanks, Terry. Have you ever published the routine?

I haven't published a routine because the unique aspect to the effect is really the cups, balls, loads, and wand (all "crystal") - not the routine. The routine (moves) can go in diffrent directions.

I do hope that no other magician has "borrowed" the concept. Another magician and I worked out this effect in the mid-70's, and I believe we should be the only ones performing it.

Back around 1985 I had the opportunity to present it to a well-known name in magic who wanted to see it for possible inclusion in his shows, but he never used it for various reasons.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24145 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This is such a beautiful concept. I hope noone rips it off. Of course, it would be costly.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5030 Posts

Profile of pepka
OK Terry, I'll bite. Who was it?
Jailhouse Jonny
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Jailhouse Jonny
Jeffrey Campbell, of the Waukesha, Wisconsin, Jest For Fun Joke Shop, has a manuscript for Crystal Cups. I believe he is also it's author. Contact him through his website.

http://www.jokeshop.us/index.html

Crystal Cups ($9.95) Campbell - This was my first published book (Micky Hades International 1983). It began as a challenge from good buddy Don Lamb to do the cups and balls with clear cups. The challenge was accepted by Ron Dayton and myself. This book is the result. (autographed on request)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24145 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's a completely different concept from Terry's or from Jason Latimer's. It is a good book, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Latimer's routine is simply amazing. It looks like he just slides the cups and balls disappear and reappear elsewhere. It is rumored that he will be marketing the cups with Porper I believe and he said he also may have a DvD with something like 140 moves because all of the moves for his clear cups are original. He will not be giving away his routine though.
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Try using a single clear glass, doing a vanish and load quickly. It looks like an instant appearence. If any one thinks they've got it, you then proceed to chop the cup with a gimmick under a paper cover disproving their theory. After a couple of goes shove in a large load and while they're goggling at that, it's excellent misdirection for the vanish of the glass a la the old salt shaker through the table routine where you smash the paper flat on the table. Non of it's particularly original but it's very effective dining table magic.

I thought P&T routine was excellent by the way.
Mesquita
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Mesquita
Can anyone tell me if the Cups And Balls by LATIMER on FISM 2003 are gimicked???
Are they special balls???
Will Latimer put his routine on the market???

That cups and balls was AMAZING!!!
And so BEAUTIFUL!!!
"Siempre somos tres me acompaña la luna y me sigue mi sombra" René Lavand
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
I've not seen Latimers routine using clear glass, but many, many years back, the in Holland living, stage and close-up performer Phoa Yan Tiong did a such routine using clear glasscups.

It was great and solely based on misdircetion..beautiful work.
-
Unfortunately Phoa is now in his early 80s, had two strokes and isn't at all interested in magic anymore -strange as this might sound taking into consideration he all his life was a working pro with a very beautiful act..but that's life Smile

PS. Some might remember Phoa for his creation of the cut and restored silk..the one using no gimmicks, where the silk really is cut and the restauration is a *fake*..quite a concept in magic , to fake the restauration and really do what you show and tell 'em..
I think, somehow this principle might not be fully explored yet..to *fake* the magic... Smile

Do a search via google under his name and some amazing info might pop up re Phoa..he really was a great performer in his time!
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Phoa Yan Tiong has had a severe stroke, but Eddy Taytelbaum sees him often. He certainly was one of the great acts. I booked him as often as I could. He wrote three of four planned books, titled "The four seasons" Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. I don't recall exact titles but they are priceless.

He was a Marshal Arts instructor in The Netherlands. I think he was originally from what was known as the "Dutch East Indies." (What would that be now?)
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24145 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That would probably be Indonesia and the surrounding area.

It was probably broken up into several different countries.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-01-06 01:19, Pete Biro wrote:
... I think he was originally from what was known as the "Dutch East Indies." (What would that be now?)
I'm not sure, but Eddy is from Surinam...
BTW it was Eddy who told me a couple of weeks back, that Phoa totally lost all interest in magic, could hardly talk, aso. so he really is badly hit Smile
Eddy himself too has probs with the earlier *OK* leg and doesn't get out very often, he gets in pain when walking... Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Mesquita
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Mesquita
Quote:
On 2005-01-05 09:44, Mesquita wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the Cups And Balls by LASTIMER on FISM 2003 is gimicked???
Is it special balls????? Will Lastimer put your routine on the market?????

Please, can anyone answer my question? Thanks in advance!
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4826 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Mesquita,
Perhaps the reason you didn't get an immediate answer is that it's been answered many times before. Jason Latimer's routine is his and not on the market... yet.

Whether it's gimmicked or not will be revealed when he chooses to sell it. I personally believe it's not gimmicked, but that Jason is taking advantage of a unique property of the cups.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
1816 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Did Penn and Teller ever publish their routine with the clear dixie cups? It would be interesting to read.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Mesquita
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Mesquita
Thanks Dave VanVranken!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Clear Cups & Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL