The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Help with effect? Vanish water from cup (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Hood
View Profile
Veteran user
328 Posts

Profile of Hood
I am looking for help with an effect where basically you pour water in a cup like a red solo cup and when you turn it over the water is gone or does not spill out. Any help would be be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Hood
View Profile
Veteran user
328 Posts

Profile of Hood
Fantastic, thank you.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
...or a sponge.

Julie
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
There are ways to be able to re-pour after showing nothing comes out

- make a Foo Can type of gimmick in the cup

- reverse the effect of the slush powder (Scott Alexander teaches a wonderful "Water Monte" (guess where the water is, in his Midnite Show)

- Scott Guinn also has a nice water monte effect in his "Great Scott It's More Magic"
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Hood: I have a red Solo cup in which I use slush powder. I found that sometimes it will plop out if the mixture is not quite right. I glued in a circular piece of plastic with 1/8" diameter holes. Now you can vanish the water and even shake the cup up and down - nothing comes out. The only downside is the clean-up - you can't use it for two shows in the same day - you need to rinse it out (I use my garden hose outside) or let it completely dry and then rinse it out.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Jim, it takes some testing before use. If you are making runny goo, then you need to adjust your ratio.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
My ratio is 1 tsp of slush powder to 8-ounces of water and I never had an issue.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Not every brand of slush powder is the same, take Bills idea and test. tbaer gave a good start to testing.
Jeremy Soon
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
14 Posts

Profile of Jeremy Soon
Slush powder is the best. But make sure you test it out the ratio before performing.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Believe me I did a lot of testing. My mixture is on point. The red Solo cups are very slick inside and shaped like a shallow funnel. The trick is much easier with foam cups.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Part of the reason why the ratio will change from person to person, could be that the water is different.
My understanding is that impurities in the water (e.g.; salts) can affect the setting-up. Hence, you could find differences from your water and that available at your show. Although I have't hear of anyone trying this, distilled water may give you the most reproducible results. Another factor could be temperature - you may see a difference between boiling water, and room temperature.

I think I've seen some talk of these types of problems with milk (maybe the fat in it?).
Hence, the advice to test, and test with what you will use in your show, is good advice.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Experiment between a plastic and styrofoam cup to see which works best.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
In a restaurant once I put some in hot coffee, it foamed up and over the cup. It was nothing but runny goo.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I had a similar problem once, I think milk or cream will interfere with it setting up.
If straight coffee, the issue might be the oils in it.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Another approach is to only give illusion of water pouring into cup. The easiest way to vanish something is for it to never truly be there in the first place! Look at some of the "baking cake in hat" routines which utilize gimmicks to create this illusion of actually seeing liquid pour. Or the venerable milk pitcher where subtleties are used.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
For a different solution besides slush powder: in my "Genii In The Bottle" from the Wizards' Journal #29, I show how to make a “Self-Drinking Wonder Bottle” in which a soda straw is placed into clear bottle (or plastic "glass") and the liquid inside is apparently visibly sipped up by a Genii or some other invisible being. At the end the transparent glass or bottle is empty with no clue as to where the liquid went.
LFoxx
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of LFoxx
If you can use colored liquid, try looking into my Evaporation gimmick.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I'm surprised that this hasn't come out earlier.
If I understand the method, I saw something like this back in the 60's being sold as a toy, but you made it a useful prop.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
The foo can idea is good, although every time I have tried to make it, it leaks. If you're not better at crafts than I am, I'd go with a commercial version.

I use coffee with slush powder all the time, and have no problems. The trick, aside from the ratio, is to use a cup with straight sides, not sides that slope outward as it goes toward the top. Also, the surface can make a difference. Paper is better than kiln fired cups, and styrofoam is better than paper. I use a straight-sided standard coffee mug, and enough slush powder to cover the bottom of it. I can then fill it about 2/3 full with black coffee and it works fine.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Help with effect? Vanish water from cup (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL