The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Leeds based engineer/builder working mainly in theatre (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cedd
View Profile
New user
Leeds, UK
7 Posts

Profile of cedd
Hi everyone!
I’m not a magician! Ssshhhh! Smile

Hi, I’m Chris. A professional engineer (aviation industry) who spends his spare time building props and illusions for theatre. Animatronics, stage illusions, special effects -I’ll lend my hand to most things.
Joined here as some of the things I build are outright magic tricks and stage illusions, but also as I’ve found a lot of crossover in my other projects as well. A thread about miniature smoke machines brought me here as I’m currently building an Aladin’s Magic lamp with inbuilt smoke machine, fibre optic lighting and a flash cotton igniter. Got the answers I needed and you all seemed a friendly bunch, so thought I’d stick around! Smile

Any other folk working in theatre on here? I’m particularly interested in illusions that lend themselves to Pantomime or other theatre pieces (Barnum the musical is full of them for instance, as is Matilda the musical).
Thanks for having me!
lnlver
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of lnlver
Welcome, Chris. Like you, I am not a magician, but consider myself an enthusiast who likes to build props.

I spend most of my time at the Café at 'The Workshop' section. I see items others have built, have questions about fabricating or repairing, and even post tricks I have built.

There are lots of knowledgeable people here in all areas: woodworking, plastics, electronics, etc. I think you will fit in well.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome ceded,

If you are building Magic Props, then you belong here.

Not all Magicians are crafty in the building sense and we need you.

I know there are theatre types here because l've greeted them here.

Use the search with theatre, lighting, etc... And you may find them. Good luck.

-Mary Mowder
George S Whale
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of George S Whale
Hi Chris, like you am in the Aviation Industry. Magic is more of a hobby for me and I’ve found myself drawn into the the ideas of building props, gimmicks etc. As for theatre, have only really been on the fringe, Bump In and Out etc. Always an ‘enlightening’ experience.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Welcome cedd!

Scroll on down to The Workshop, under Special Interests. You'll find a lot of talented builders there who are very passionate about their work.

Have fun. Looking forward to seeing your contributions.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
kitz
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
1 Post

Profile of kitz
Hi cedd,

I'm also a "not a magician! Ssshhhh!" and also happen to have a bit of experience building things for theatre (although that was back in school). I'd love to see some of the creations you've built! Also, I'm always happy to talk through ideas or problems.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Leeds based engineer/builder working mainly in theatre (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL