The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tricks or Effects? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Which word do you use to perform your mentalism mysteries, "tricks," "effects," or a different word? Most magicians will cross the line to step on our toes if we do not use their word, "tricks."
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Experiments.
Let's try something.
Here's an idea I've had, can I show you something?
Ubernutz
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Ubernutz
Depends on the framing. Sometimes I use experiment as well and sometimes It's framed as a "game"
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
I use "effects" when talking to people about my work. I never use the word "tricks" unless I'm talking about something that has the conceit that it is about tricking people. Not the context I want on my work. In my show I never need to frame things like that. There are a few times where I say "An experiment..." "An experience..." "Join me on this journey..." etc...
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2018, Dynamike wrote:
...Most magicians will cross the line to step on our toes if we do not use their word, "tricks."

I think you're hanging out with the wrong magicians. Its best nobody ever try and step on my toes while I'm performing, they would deeply regret that. Also, I couldn't care less what magicians think about the decisions I make in my performance.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I think the trend of treating "trick" and "effect" as if they were interchangeable is part of the trivialization of magic.

In my scripts I never say "trick" in reference to my own stuff. Like Matt said, "trick" has a certain connotation that is not applicable to my performances. Demonstration, game, experiment (if it can genuinely fail), etc. but never trick.

And also like Matt, I could not care less what magicians think about that choice. My audiences are smart enough to draw their own conclusions as to what I'm doing on stage to entertain them.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I use the term "event."
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
A trick of mind control is one way to use the word but I agree with most that the verbiage of trick should be eliminated in favor of effect or experiment and so on. Hard to do when coming from a magic background but not impossible. Something to just be aware of. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I called my magic, "tricks" either? "Shown to me by a wise and learned gentleman, I'd like to share what I was taught with you."
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of dusty
"Demonstration". (Tricks work, demonstrations may not!)
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.
"Always give 100%, Unless you're a blood donor!"

Exclusive publications available from:

www.solutions.yolasite.com
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2018, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
I use the term "event."

I really like this one. Thanks for sharing it.

Demonstrations, experiments, etc. are all good and I've certainly used them. I think an important thing to remember is how names define things. I'm treading closely to some of Jermay's writings but in a totally different direction, FYI.

If you call something a "trick", that is how it gets categorized in their mind. If you call something an "experiment", different connotations flavor how they process it. I'm a cell biologist by day, so I understand how using the phrase "experiment" impacts people.

I think what you call what you do is a very personal decision and is reflective of you as a character. If you call something an "illusion" then maybe you don't pretend other stuff you do is "real", for example.

Here's a thought, which I think I can share without giving away my approach: keep it a bit mysterious.

You obviously need to introduce yourself somehow but instead of showing them "a trick", instead offer to show them "something interesting."

"Something interesting": whatever it is, all they know is it is supposed to be interesting. "Something mysterious", "something strange".

In writing this, it also occurs to me that this sounds like something out of Wonder Words (Kenton Knepper) but I can't think of this exact discussion. There are the "Unspecified Referential Index" words, but those are used in a different way (to buy intellectual/emotional conviction. At least that is what people agree on. ;-) ).

Best of luck,
Lem
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
The label has importance, but if you don't offer congruence, is even detrimental. It doesn't matter if you call it "experience" if people just feel a trick.

So first we need to work in the experience, and then find a proper label... and please don't do tricks. People are tired of them and they deserve more.
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I don't usually label them at all in performance, it's just something along the lines of 'let's try this'. On occasion, I'll use the term 'piece' i.e. a piece of music.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
320 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
I never ever use the word "tricks". Tricks are something dogs and trained monkeys do. If we want people to respect the art it would help if the practitioners themselves did so. Probably the public would hold magic in higher esteem if magicians didn't use words like "tricks" among others. Don't mean to sound harsh, it's just a pet peeve of mine, your mileage may vary!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yet it's true. Let's face it - only magicians do tricks. The moment anyone comes here and asks about "tricks" we all know they're a magician, quite simple. No need to sugar coat it, not meant to be offensive, just simply stated. No other performer does tricks.

Most see tricks as an insult. When I worked with Evel Knievel and his family, he/they hated the word "tricks" when referencing their motorcycle exhibition, if someone referred to them as tricks, Evel would "they aren't tricks, I'm not a god***n magician!"
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2018, Mindpro wrote:
No other performer does tricks.

I know a juggler who does tricks but maybe he's just a magician of aerial manipulation?
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Skateboarders and BMX riders do tricks too.

I can think of another type of 'performer' that does 'tricks' too....

Also trained animals.

Nonetheless, most mentalists would not like to be lumped in with this group.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Conner
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Conner
This is overthinking it. Just entertain your audiences. Nothing else matters.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2018, Conner wrote:
This is overthinking it. Just entertain your audiences. Nothing else matters.

Heartedly disagree! My objective is never to "just entertain" anyone. Everything you do in life "matters" beyond the trick of the moment. (opinion)
Doing things to "entertain people" and leaving them with a notion of "must be magic" are entirely different, and where art enters the scene.

If there is no "affect" there is no art.

Personally, I do not find a person just doing tricks to be very entertaining at all - or not for long.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I too agree with your disagreement. Entertaining should be a given, as entertainers, it is the minimum of what we should be doing. Much else matters. When I hear someone say this it tells me they are either not a performer in the real world as they would quickly realize otherwise, or that they are simply working on the surface without a complete understanding of the experience.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
...a demonstration, an experiment...they are the two I tend to use...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tricks or Effects? (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL