The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Where It Has To Go by Rick Lax (116 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Sudoís review hit the nail on the head but to add to it, I was familiar with the automatic placement principle, but I was still fooled by the performance because, I too, was expecting Rick to have to make an adjustment, and yet... no adjustment was necessary. Itís clever indeed and I was very fond of the presentation and the psychological addition which really amps up the effect.

Madison
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2018, MadisonH wrote:
I too, was expecting Rick to have to make an adjustment, and yet... no adjustment was necessary.


It wasn't that I expected him to make an adjustment - I knew none was necessary. It was more of a matter of hoping he wasn't going to do it the hard way, which is what those with only a surface understanding of the principle would have likely done. Indeed, it would have dramatically lessened the impact of the effect had he done so. What led me to believe that he *may* be doing this with an adjustment was this snippet in the ad-copy:

Youíre wondering, do I need to master some difficult sleight-of-hand move? Does the trick require some complicated setup?

No and no.Smile


Emphasis on the word "difficult".

The way it is worded easily leads one to believe that while there are no "difficult" sleights, there may be an "easy" sleight or move. And what other move or sleight could there be other than an adjustment? If it were me writing the ad, I would have just said straight up that it uses absolutely ZERO sleights or setups. Period. Far more effective Smile
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1257 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2018, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2018, EZrhythm wrote:
Midnight, Sunday, August 12... Still not on sale! I don't know why I am chomping at the bit so much for this one. Must be Rick's presentation style.


Because they know suckers like you want what they canít get, now. Smile


BOOYA, not a sucker on this one!
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2018, Stunninger wrote:
Nice review, Sudo. Thank you. I'm in.


I always wince just a little when someone purchases something based on a recommendation or good review from me because I know that tastes vary. That said, I'd like to think I have a sharp eye for details and recognizing good things when I see them. By now I'm sure you've checked it out and I hope that you feel I didn't steer you wrong. Smile
tomd
View Profile
Special user
729 Posts

Profile of tomd
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2018, Sudo Nimh wrote:
What led me to believe that he *may* be doing this with an adjustment was this snippet in the ad-copy:

Youíre wondering, do I need to master some difficult sleight-of-hand move? Does the trick require some complicated setup?

No and no.Smile


Emphasis on the word "difficult".

The way it is worded easily leads one to believe that while there are no "difficult" sleights, there may be an "easy" sleight or move. And what other move or sleight could there be other than an adjustment? If it were me writing the ad, I would have just said straight up that it uses absolutely ZERO sleights or setups. Period. Far more effective Smile


But then you wouldn't have been as pleasantly surprised, and the product wouldn't have recieved the same level of positivity from you Smile it was all a set up I say.

For the product itself: All of the cuts and edits of the trailer hide the length of the procedure, I'm pretty sure a full performance would actually fool quite a few. I'm not paticularly a fan of how long the whole process takes, and Rick does nothing to justify the whole middle section of the trick. That's not a negative point, I'm saying that he proved with the full performance that he doesn't need to justify anything, just do it and they will follow suit.

He's correctly assessed that the beginning and end of this piece holds the gold. The fact is, you leave yourself in a position where you don't know the card being thought of, you don't do any funny business, and the card magically appears at the number called out at the beginning. Like Sudo said prior to me, there isn't much objectively to fault with this, and it's priced right. It's going to fool pretty much everyone you perform it for.

Subjectively however, there's a lot I don't like, leaving me knowing I probably won't use this in the long run:

1. It's not a completely free choice of number (this is a very minor negative for me, doesn't bother me that much)
2. There's a section where Rick advocates walking away from the table, or at least turning around and facing away for a procedure to take place. The truth is, I think to be completely fair in the spectators eyes, walking away is the best option. But I don't like walking away from a table, nor am I a big fan of facing away from the table. Just not me, I don't Like breaking a flow of conversation.
3. There's a LOT of counting. Not in your head, but procedural counting. a reoccuring quibble with ACAAN (mentioned on the forums) is the drawn out time it takes for the number 30 upwards to be dealt out. Some fear that the audience will lose interest, and others bite back with something along the lines of " you lack presentations yada yada". The point is, times that length by 2 or 3, and you have around the amount of time it takes to complete the procedure for this. AND THEN the dealing happens. And the procedures are all counting based in some form.

Does Ricks presentation justify these actions? No.
Does Ricks presentation make the final reveal seem impossible? I think so yeah. It took me a moment to click on, for a brief moment I couldn't believe it got to the number.

I just have this feeling that magicians will get more satisfaction out if this then layman will. I'm willing to perform this for people before I catergorically decide that, but I was bored for a lot of the trick.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Based on that last comment I will just say this:

Gave it the girlfriend test which is always a great indicator because my girlfriend knows her stuff and calls the BS. This fooled her. She started saying ďno... no way!Ē As I began to explain that I was moving her card from her number to the one she selected. She was genuinely shocked and amazed. Iíll be keeping this one in the memory bank.

Madison
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
So, can this be presented as mentalism? Or this is the magical transposition of a card to a different number.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1257 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Where I have to go with that question- ABSOLUTELY!
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2018, tomd wrote:
Subjectively however, there's a lot I don't like, leaving me knowing I probably won't use this in the long run:

1. It's not a completely free choice of number (this is a very minor negative for me, doesn't bother me that much)
2. There's a section where Rick advocates walking away from the table, or at least turning around and facing away for a procedure to take place. The truth is, I think to be completely fair in the spectators eyes, walking away is the best option. But I don't like walking away from a table, nor am I a big fan of facing away from the table. Just not me, I don't Like breaking a flow of conversation.
3. There's a LOT of counting. Not in your head, but procedural counting. a reoccuring quibble with ACAAN (mentioned on the forums) is the drawn out time it takes for the number 30 upwards to be dealt out. Some fear that the audience will lose interest, and others bite back with something along the lines of " you lack presentations yada yada". The point is, times that length by 2 or 3, and you have around the amount of time it takes to complete the procedure for this. AND THEN the dealing happens. And the procedures are all counting based in some form.


All of these things are what makes up the Automatic Placement. I can only assume that you were unfamiliar with the principle Tom? Smile

Because I knew exactly what this would entail going into it, I was looking at it from an academic viewpoint. Would I recommend this for use at a paid gig? No. It just doesn't have the features that those environments require. Would I use it in casual situations? Absolutely. I think the end result is well worth the effort. Let's face it, the majority of people who will purchase this aren't professional performers and are likely going to enjoy this for what it is because there's no doubt about the deceptive abilities of the effect overall. Plain and simple, it's going to fool the heck out of any lay audience who sees it and even a fair number of magicians.

@ Last Laugh: To answer your question, "no". There's no possible way to pass this off as proper Mentalism - as presented. A card moves from a known position (apparently), to a named position without touching the deck - in effect. Any reasonably intelligent audience could not be convinced that the "powers of the mind" somehow accomplished this.

That said, you *could* play this off as Mentalism by changing the presentation and one simple addition. You would simply ask the participant to use her intuition and name the number where she believes the card will end up at the finish. Now proceed with the effect as described, omitting the part about invisibly moving the card. At the finish, the deck is on the table and the participants are convinced that they know where the card is located. You explain that you will now give the deck a single cut...which you do. I shouldn't need to explain what you actually do. Smile
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
I should point out however, that the real power here is in using the original presentation. The addition I mentioned is weak Mentalism at best and I personally would not use that idea. Moving a card that is apparently both unknown and at an unknown position (to you), to a position that's been freely named and WITHOUT touching the deck...is a pretty strong effect.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2018, Sudo Nimh wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2018, Stunninger wrote:
Nice review, Sudo. Thank you. I'm in.


I always wince just a little when someone purchases something based on a recommendation or good review from me because I know that tastes vary. That said, I'd like to think I have a sharp eye for details and recognizing good things when I see them. By now I'm sure you've checked it out and I hope that you feel I didn't steer you wrong. Smile


Sudo, I love the way you think based on the items you've released and what I've learned from you. You did not steer me wrong Smile
STARE, AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews can be found by doing a cafe search
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Thanks Stunninger.

I'm happy to hear that. Smile
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9166 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2018, EZrhythm wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2018, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2018, EZrhythm wrote:
Midnight, Sunday, August 12... Still not on sale! I don't know why I am chomping at the bit so much for this one. Must be Rick's presentation style.


Because they know suckers like you want what they canít get, now. Smile


BOOYA, not a sucker on this one!


Great trick for magicians. Mediocre-boring for laymen. So much better out there. Although probably your best effect.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2018, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2018, EZrhythm wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2018, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2018, EZrhythm wrote:
Midnight, Sunday, August 12... Still not on sale! I don't know why I am chomping at the bit so much for this one. Must be Rick's presentation style.


Because they know suckers like you want what they canít get, now. Smile


BOOYA, not a sucker on this one!


Great trick for magicians. Mediocre-boring for laymen. So much better out there. Although probably your best effect.



Totally disagree. I think this is very intriguing for laymen. If you present it as shown, it will most definitely excite them and convince them they witnessed something impossible.

The only thing I would add to it would be more of a build up once the work is done. Iíd have the spectator place their finger on the deck. Iíd then let them know I wonít be touching the cards again. At that point I would have them tell me where their card is currently. I would then reiterate where it has to go and then I would make a presssing motion towards the cards claiming that the card had moved down in the deck. I would do this a few times calling out where the card supposedly is and then I would have it ďarriveĒ at the chosen number.

If you do that correctly, everyone present will believe there is NO WAY that could happen. They will be certain youíre about to have to do something sneaky. And then you calmly ask them to count to the number. And of course, their card is there.

If presented in this way, I guarantee laymen will love it and remember it. Mainly because they will build up the impossibility themselves.

Basically, this allows me to do something which looks very similar to Pit Hatlings ACAANís (geuinely THE BEST ACAAN Iíve ever read, and I feel like Iím the only one using it. It gets incredible reactions.) The downside to Pitís is that you must have st least 3 people. In Pitís 3 chosen cards arrive at 3 freely named numbers all while the deck is held by the spectator. The numbers are named after they are holding the deck. You never touch the deck again. So this trick allows me to do an effect which looks very similar but with only 1 or 2 people.

I think this is the best thing Rick Lax has given to the community.

Madison
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
923 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Madison

How long would you say the routine takes on 1 person from start to finish?

Cheers
Dr Rob
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
It's really not that long Dr.Rob. About 3-4 mins tops. The initial counting is only a small number of cards so it really isn't that bad at all.

And I agree with Madison wholeheartedly - you can build up the finish for this quite dramatically.
magic_tony
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of magic_tony
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2018, MadisonH wrote:
...I was still fooled by the performance...


Hey, I was wondering which performance fooled you? The trailer has too many cuts to count as a performance.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2018, magic_tony wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2018, MadisonH wrote:
...I was still fooled by the performance...


Hey, I was wondering which performance fooled you? The trailer has too many cuts to count as a performance.


The live performance on the download.

Madison
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3218 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Any others who purchased ready to add to the above reviews ?
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
831 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
Here are some reviews from the penguin site...


Verified buyer Pro Privacy ON (login to see reviewer names) on August 13th, 2018
This is definitely
one of the most practical killer methods
of ACAAN to date !!!
If you are a ardent student of the art
Whom has amassed countless versions of ACAAN in all it's diverse forms ,then you will truly appreciate what Rick has
decided to share with the circle!!!
The most important aspect in all of Rick's instructionals is Clarity in presentation as far as method of procedure -( dictionary definition)"A procedure is a set of written or Spoken directions telling us how to apply a method to a particular sample, including information on obtaining samples, handling interferents, and validating results. A method may have several procedures ") he's straight to the point of what needs to be done with out drifting & ramblings which a lot of mediocre presentations out on the market suffer from!apart from the effect the hypnotic ethereal sound track was perfect !!!As a whole the production quality is just as important as the effect it self congratulations Rick & Penguin !!!
Iam breaking open a bottle of Blended Wisky to celebrate the occasion !!!
Get this & everything project Rick has out on the Market !!!!




4 of 4 magicians found this helpful.
Did this review help you? 2 comments
Another great trick from Rick Lax Report this review
Verified buyer Pro Privacy ON (login to see reviewer names) on August 13th, 2018
I love the presentation Rick came up with for this effect. There are a lot of acaan type effects out there, but not a lot of variety. This one stands out from the rest. I appreciate the minimal handlng and the audience involvemet that he brings. You will want to practice this a lot, not because it is difficult, but because you will surprise yourself every time. This trick requires no setup, all you need is a deck, paper, and something to write with. The cards can be shuffled, there are no stacks to memorize or complicated math. The handling is very simple. The problem woth many acaan effects is that the counting can be very boring, but with this presentation, the anticipation builds until they reach their number, and they canít believe that their card is there. If you like the effect you aee in the trailer, buy now. You will not be disappointed.
3 of 3 magicians found this helpful.
Did this review help you? Do you want to respond to this review?
Wonderfully deceptive. Report this review

Verified buyer Pro Privacy ON (login to see reviewer names) on August 14th, 2018
This is one of my favorite effects Rick Lax has put out. It uses a principle I was already familiar with, but this is the best use for it that Iíve ever seen. It is incredibly clean. You move a selection from a known position to a named position without ever touching the deck. Itís wonderful. The bit of psychology Rick has added makes this feel truly impossible. This is a trick Iíll be using again and again. Donít miss this self working effect; your spectators will remember for a long time.
2 of 2 magicians found this helpful.
Did this review help you? Do you want to respond to this review?
Two Words: Sup and Erb Report this review

Verified buyer Pro Privacy ON (login to see reviewer names) on August 13th, 2018
Three reasons to get this trick:
1) It's by Rick Lax.
2) It's by Rick Lax.
3) Didn't you hear me? It's by Rick Lax!!
In the detail, this is an amazing little jewel that will leave everyone with their eyes agog and their mouths agape. Absolutely brilliant and incredibly simple ó but powerful like a stampede. Or something else, as long as it's powerful. They will have no idea how you did it... And apparently, you won't have it, either. And that what it makes it so magic. A must have.
1 of 1 magicians found this helpful.
Did this review help you? Do you want to respond to this review?
I like it! Report this review
Verified buyer Pro Privacy ON (login to see reviewer names) on August 14th, 2018
The effect is self working. Rick teaches the nuances for it to play big, get the reactions I want.
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Where It Has To Go by Rick Lax (116 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.36 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL