The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » LOVE IS BACK (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Spill
View Profile
V.I.P.
211 Posts

Profile of Steve Spill
LOVE BACK IN STOCK – SECOND PRINTING IS HERE

A guilty pleasure and fantastic resource for all magicians and comedians with a deluge of positive reviews... But the difference between having heaps of thoughtful positive reviews and critical acclaim is Jamy Ian Swiss and Jack Shalom, both linked below.

https://jackshalom.net/2018/07/31/how-to......ill-way/

https://www.magicana.com/news/blog/how-m......pill-way

get yours: magicopolis.com / magicians only
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
I'm a friend and Spill fan, the book is one-of-a-kind excellent. In case you don't know Steve Spill, here's a profile Huffington Post did:
PS Huffington Post did a feature on us, here’s the link: http://huff.to/2egaR6m
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
STEVE BYANT NEWEST CRITIC TO FALL IN LOVE WITH LOVE

His acclaim below along with Jamy Ian Swiss and Jack Shalom links.

Books on magic theory often come from writers you've never heard of before, which puts their advice into question, and on rare occasions from those who have put in the flight time and earned both a reputation and a living. This is the latter case, from two of the most successful magicians I know. Read and learn.
DIABOLICAL DOZEN -- This is about Steve Spill's new book of magic, How to Make Love the Steve Spill Way. But before we dive into that, let me repeat my advice from April 2015 to read Spill's I Lie for Money, one of the most enjoyable magic autobiographies you will find, spanning Steve's early life as a sort of Magic Castle mascot studying under Vernon and Charlie Miller to his recent decades as major domo of Magicopolis in Santa Monica. And hey, it's way cheaper than the new book, at less than three bucks on Kindle or twenty in hardback.

Magicopolis secrets.
OK, you're back from that? Good. On to the new tome, which contains 12 Steve Spill magic tricks that you can do. Adhering to the sex manual metaphor, the book is divided into two sections, Foreplay (theory) and Seduction (the 12 tricks). In the opening chapter "Hello, Sailor" Steve establishes the goals: (1) How to make the 12 routines in the book, or any book, truly yours and (2) how to make your magic you, adding comedy, and how to develop your own original material. The next chapter "Exposing Myself" is a short version of the life I told you to read, above, establishing Steve's bona fides as a Castle kid (Charlie Miller once made him a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!), as an opener for rock stars, as half of the Brook Farm Inn of Magic, and of course proprietor of and the performer at Magicopolis. On to theory. The next three chapters "You Are Who You Is," "Seriously, I'm Joking," and "Wired to Create" accordingly cover how to make your magic you, how to be funny, and how to be creative. Steve is definitely pro-comedy and argues that point well as he provides the specifics that the chaapters address.
A few of the dozen tricks:
Sharp Pointy Things. In my fourth-grade summer I performed an outdoor magic show, tacking up hand-lettered signs advertising what I would do, among those things the Houdini needle swallowing trick. Fortunately, I came to my senses, or maybe my mom did, and I skipped that trick. So many decades later, I am still not going to do it. But if you want to, here are the complete details of how Steve Spill does it, and I have seen him fool doctors.
Citric Acid. Steve's famous Bill to Lemon trick, once shared on a Doc Eason VHS, now taught with all the details. This is the bill routine to learn.
Modern Family. An R-rated version of Soft Soap. I love typing those words. Does anyone out there under, say 60, remember what Soft Soap is?
Abra Cadavers. This is a spooky Do As I Do with toe tags and death certificates, with a flashy surprise ending, my kind of trick! If I were still doing Halloween shows I'd be working on this right now. Steve should have left it out and sold the rights to Zabrecky.
Coping with Eddie. A surprisingly relevant stand-up card routine based on a Steve Bedwell trick, about bullies.
Go Himber Free. The Himber linking finger rings without a Himber ring. Just beautiful to watch. Every detail taught in 51 pages.

Three rings actually linked.
Hard cover, 270 pages, highly entertaining writing, with funky illustrations by the author*, from Magicopolis.com. $125. Steep, yes, but fair for fully scripted professional routines with all the little details worked out.
*I have a fondness for primitive cartoonish art in magic books, such as encountered in, say, John Carney's 1987 booklets. Note that young Steve Spill was the staff artist for Talisman.

https://jackshalom.net/2018/07/31/how-to......ill-way/

https://www.magicana.com/news/blog/how-m......pill-way
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » LOVE IS BACK (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL