The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Lie Detector - Favorite Version (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
642 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Another new easy worker that I came across recently and I like. Nick Trost 8 card lie speller in Subtle Card Creations Vol. 4.
Phil
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6777 Posts

Profile of magicfish
That's the Truth by Harry Lorayne.
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Special user
Lake Worth FL
928 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
Steven Youell’s version is stellar. If you have access to the back issues of Magic Magazine be sure to check out the May 1993 issue. I believe it may have been the first explanation of Jim Steinmeyers Nine Card Problem. I mention this because it has a swell version of the Lie Detector Plot using Jim’s great procedure. It’s called Dunbury Lie Speller by Jon Racherbaumer. At the very least, there’s a very nice card control from Marlo written in the description.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2021, Ed Oschmann wrote:
Steven Youell’s version is stellar. If you have access to the back issues of Magic Magazine be sure to check out the May 1993 issue. I believe it may have been the first explanation of Jim Steinmeyers Nine Card Problem. I mention this because it has a swell version of the Lie Detector Plot using Jim’s great procedure. It’s called Dunbury Lie Speller by Jon Racherbaumer. At the very least, there’s a very nice card control from Marlo written in the description.

Hello Ed,

Thanks for the info! I looked up the Trost "8 card lie speller" again. In his intro he said it was a combination of a reverse faro followed by Steinmeyers nine card problem - though done with 8 cards!
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1634 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
So I've been into magic for over 25 years. I read the title of the trick and thought, yeah I do that with nothing more than a key card and a bunch of showmanship about how my fingers are so sensitive I'm like a human lie detector. Then I read the thread and find out it's a completely different plot, with different handling and stories. Learn something new every day.

I quite like the Michael Vincent lie detector routine. I have Youell's Weapons of Mass Destruction and his version of this is solid as well. Something about Vincent having those three piles all indicate the chosen card while finishing with the card being cut to builds up the finish quite nicely.

Anyways, thanks for starting this thread and turning me onto a new effect. Fwiw, Vincent did publish his Lie Detector routine on his Synergy DVD, which is currently 17.39 at Alakzam USA, and is presently on its way to me. Hopefully, Vincent's routine is within my capabilities.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2021, Kaliix wrote:
So I've been into magic for over 25 years. I read the title of the trick and thought, yeah I do that with nothing more than a key card and a bunch of showmanship about how my fingers are so sensitive I'm like a human lie detector. Then I read the thread and find out it's a completely different plot, with different handling and stories. Learn something new every day.

I quite like the Michael Vincent lie detector routine. I have Youell's Weapons of Mass Destruction and his version of this is solid as well. Something about Vincent having those three piles all indicate the chosen card while finishing with the card being cut to builds up the finish quite nicely.

Anyways, thanks for starting this thread and turning me onto a new effect. Fwiw, Vincent did publish his Lie Detector routine on his Synergy DVD, which is currently 17.39 at Alakzam USA, and is presently on its way to me. Hopefully, Vincent's routine is within my capabilities.

Looks good Kaliix! Thanks for the info. I'm tempted but I wonder if it requires a perfect small packet faro (as seen in the video demo)?

Phil
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
FYI, here is a compilation of impromptu card magic by Aldo Colombini that contains several Lie Detector effects that use Steinmeyer's "Nine Card Problem"

https://www.lybrary.com/impromptu-card-magic-p-74716.html

Phil
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of magicthree
That is a fantastic book and well worth the money
PASCAL
View Profile
Loyal user
France
251 Posts

Profile of PASCAL
Hi
Liar’s club from A.Elmsley !!
In my opinion the best ...
M.Vincent used it on his latest vidéo .....
Pascal
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
725 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
What we now know as the "Lie Detector" was created by Ron Bauer around 1959-1960. Although it wasn't published until the 90s in the New Tops (reprinted in John Luka's book L.I.N.T.), it is STILL the best version out there!
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of magicthree
Agree with the post above.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6777 Posts

Profile of magicfish
(Sp)elegant- Lorayne
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6777 Posts

Profile of magicfish
A couple of beauties in J.C's book too.
Greg Kiefer
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Greg Kiefer
I agree with MagicFish’s post. “That’s the Truth” by Harry Lorayne.
PressureFan
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of PressureFan
Both 'That's the Truth' by Harry Lorayne and 'One no is once enough is not enough' by Bob Farmer credit a common ancestor in Howard Lyons. I came up with a stack I can cull on the fly that works for both.
What is the source for the original Howard Lyons effect?
magicmann
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of magicmann
Well worth checking out Mike Close's Lie Detector from the Workers series
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Lie Detector - Favorite Version (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL