The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » My new Magic Chest (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
servant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
101 Posts

Profile of servant
I picked up this quaint chest at an Estate Sale. I still need to clean it up and then it will be ready to start housing all my props.

Click here to view attached image.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Wow, you don't often find them with the belts intact.
servant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
101 Posts

Profile of servant
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2018, Tom Cutts wrote:
Wow, you don't often find them with the belts intact.

Thanks for cleaning up my post faux pas. I thought I could post a second photo, but nothing happened each time I tried.

Do you know more about this type of chest? The belt is broken on the left side but really adds to the mystique.
Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
156 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
You should check out www.brettunsvillage.com
I did a quick search of a book called "Trunks, Traveling Bags & Satchels" and didn't see an exact match to yours. Most have two metal latches as well as the lock, although I did find a few examples in the book I have similar to yours. Brettuns Village is a good source for replacement parts and they have a list of over 400 trunk makers.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Nice! That is a great find. Thanks, also, to Cleverpaws for the Brettuns Village site. Fascinating browsing!
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
servant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
101 Posts

Profile of servant
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2018, Cleverpaws wrote:
I did a quick search of a book called "Trunks, Traveling Bags & Satchels" and didn't see an exact match to yours. Most have two metal latches as well as the lock, although I did find a few examples in the book I have similar to yours. Brettuns Village is a good source for replacement parts and they have a list of over 400 trunk makers.

Thanks for the link! You're awesome!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Great find, I would not, Clean it up as you say. Just a light cleaning, it is better to look like you worked the road shows a lot. On Amazon you can get luggage stickers that will make it even more interesting. Maybe a good idea to create a story behind it.

If you need to repair the strap, seek out a Shoe Repair store. They also work on luggage, purses, and most anything leather. They may have advice or products to help the life of the case and leather.
servant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
101 Posts

Profile of servant
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Great find, I would not, Clean it up as you say. Just a light cleaning, it is better to look like you worked the road shows a lot. On Amazon you can get luggage stickers that will make it even more interesting. Maybe a good idea to create a story behind it.

If you need to repair the strap, seek out a Shoe Repair store. They also work on luggage, purses, and most anything leather. They may have advice or products to help the life of the case and leather.

Good points. I'm torn on the torn leather straps. I like the fact that they are so worn. I think I'll talk to a shoe repair store. That's a great idea.

Thanks again!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2018, Cleverpaws wrote:

I love this! Thank you.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
156 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
Glad I could post something useful!
I've always been interested in old trunks and a couple years ago a customer sent me a vintage one to convert into a humidor and cocktail bar.
Since then I've been really hooked on vintage trunks and researching the makers.

Here's a couple of links to the photos of that trunk if anyone is interested in seeing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j40o08zzstxm6t1/LV%20open.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5l95dfp1i07xv......JPG?dl=0
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
That is beautiful! I have an old steamer that I can't do anything with!
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
That is some beautiful work Cleverpaws!
Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
156 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
Thanks guys! I wasn't sure if I should post something that wasn't magic related, but I guess it's ok.
Now back to the original trunk servant posted: The photo looks like it may have had a metal latch next to each strap? And is the green or what looks green in the photo, metal or painted canvas?
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2018, Cleverpaws wrote:
Thanks guys! I wasn't sure if I should post something that wasn't magic related, but I guess it's ok.

Cocktails and cigars can be magical!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Servant, great find... What are your plans for it?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Another bit of advice. If the trunk smells when you open it, you can use Arm & Hammer Odor Eliminator, just sprinkle it in, and let it set for an hour. Then vacuum it out. You might have to turn the trunk on different sides, as the powder should set on each area. It actually works very well.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Another tip, it is best you store each trick in a sealed plastic bag, with the instructions or DVD, so everything for that effect is complete. If you plan to not use this trunk for transportation, then do not store the trunk in a basement or attic, the ex-stream heat and cold will destroy your props, as well as the leather trunk. Dry rot in basements and temperatures as high as 200 degrees, and as low as below freezing in attics will destroy everything together.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Unless of course your basement or attic is climate controlled.
I store all my magic supplies in my basement. It is quite large, full basement, and maintained at 68 degrees and 40% humidity all year round.
So yes, you can store your magic equipment in a basement or attic if it is climate controlled.
I also have my workshop there with all my power tools.
No rot or damage.
Ihor
servant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
101 Posts

Profile of servant
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Another bit of advice. If the trunk smells when you open it, you can use Arm & Hammer Odor Eliminator, just sprinkle it in, and let it set for an hour. Then vacuum it out. You might have to turn the trunk on different sides, as the powder should set on each area. It actually works very well.

Thank you Bill! The inside definitely smells. I wiped it down for now, but I'm going to try this.
servant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
101 Posts

Profile of servant
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2018, Ihop wrote:
Unless of course your basement or attic is climate controlled.
I store all my magic supplies in my basement. It is quite large, full basement, and maintained at 68 degrees and 40% humidity all year round.
So yes, you can store your magic equipment in a basement or attic if it is climate controlled.
I also have my workshop there with all my power tools.
No rot or damage.

This is good to know. I don't have a basement (we live in North Texas and actually, I've never seen a house with a basement).

I'll probably keep the chest and its contents in my bedroom somewhere. The trunk is a good display piece anyway.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » My new Magic Chest (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL