The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Holdout Opinions (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Looking for pros and cons of two hold out devices:

The Secret Servante by Scott Goodman
I understand this can be attached to a belt instead of your jacket, would that mean that I could use it with an over shirt?
Are there specific limits to what can and cannot be vanished with it (limits like a Raven has)?
Any other random thoughts you can offer on angle sensitivity, size or weight limitations, etc.

The Invisible Hand from Vernet
I've seen a couple videos on this and it looks like they're just using a vanisher - which Vernet does well, but I thought it better to get advice from the community.
Same questions would apply here. Angles? limits, etc.

Is one better than the other, are they inherently different and suited for different tasks or are they two solutions for the same question?
Anything you guys can think of is appreciated. I've had Ravens, Bats, different pull vanishers, but this is the first I'm getting into holdouts.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dustin, I have to say the Invisible hand has been discussed a lot on the Café when it cam out. So a simple search can provide some insight.

Your comment, that it is just a vanisher, brings the question up, what are you looking to accomplish with a Holdout and what it should do for you should do. The real purpose of a Gambler's Hold out is to deliver objects to the hands, such a a winning poker hand. It is mechanical and very expensive, ten times the price of The Hand.

The Hand retracts an object from your hand. It can deliver an object to your hand. With those as in the demo, you can accomplish many things. Some of these things can be accomplished in different ways then The Hand. Slight of hand, timing, misdirection with hands, body, speech, and so on.

Your next comment concerning can you use it with only a shirt. Show you do not understand the demonstration videos you watched. If you could be in a shirt, they would have performed it in a shirt.

Finally, the Hand requires a lot of practice and dedication, are you a person that would spend hours in a rig, with a dress type sport jacket or a suit practicing what you want to accomplish, constantly making adjustments until it is perfect for you.

Another device called the Topit could also be used in similar ways. Again it requires a suit jacket and dedication.

The reason a suit jacket or sport coat is best because they have multi-layered material in the design, to have a more firm material. If thinner clothing was used, a shirt would show the material moving, and some may think you have rodents crawling around on you.

A better question would be, I am looking to accomplish (fill in your desires) what is the best way or device to use to accomplish this for me. I am close-up magician, or I am a stage magician, and ease of use, or a use anytime device or method would accomplish this for me.

It is not wise to buy something, then try to find a use for it just because you spent the money. That is like buying a boat, and you hate being around the water, can't swim, or don't own a lake cottage, or have any where to store it.

Hope I have helped you in some way to understand the requirements.

The original inventor of the Hand type device, wore suits every day, that is how it was in the 1920's, 30's, and 40's, suites were very loose and baggy. No one wanted to look poor, or like a bum on the street. Today suites keep getting tighter, tighter, and look like they are to small for men. This is totally against the classic look of wearing a dress jacket.

Don't buy anything you do not have a use for, or does not meet your requirements.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I found this post just a few posts down:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=113
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2018, Dustin Baker wrote:
Looking for pros and cons of two hold out devices:

The Secret Servante by Scott Goodman
I understand this can be attached to a belt instead of your jacket, would that mean that I could use it with an over shirt?
Are there specific limits to what can and cannot be vanished with it (limits like a Raven has)?
Any other random thoughts you can offer on angle sensitivity, size or weight limitations, etc.

The Invisible Hand from Vernet
I've seen a couple videos on this and it looks like they're just using a vanisher - which Vernet does well, but I thought it better to get advice from the community.
Same questions would apply here. Angles? limits, etc.

Is one better than the other, are they inherently different and suited for different tasks or are they two solutions for the same question?
Anything you guys can think of is appreciated. I've had Ravens, Bats, different pull vanishers, but this is the first I'm getting into holdouts.

Hi Dustin. Secret Servante is my baby! It can attach to a belt and can therefore be used with an over shirt. It can hold a ring, folded card and multiple coins. I use it mostly for vanishing and producing coins - it’s totally practical in terms of angles and takes seconds to set up. Here’s a little video of me using it as part of my coins across routine

https://youtu.be/80jEfFpAW7s

Items don’t need to be magnetic either. I think that what makes it very cool is that it can be used to ditch and retrieve items with ease, including multiple coins

Cheers

Sean
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
I know this is an old thread,but people may search for information on the Secret Servante, so I'll post my thoughts. I have one of these and use it regularly with coins. I think it is best suited to coins, but yes, You could use other small objects. I wear it under a hockey jersey that is loose fitting. I like to do magic for people at our local hockey arena, during intermission. I usually use four Ike's and make them appear and vanish. It works well and I've never been caught. The action of going to the Servante is very natural. Of course, you do it when attention is directed elsewhere. The price is fairly reasonable. I would recommend this to anyone for coins.
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
294 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
Dealing with Sean Goodman is just an overall good experience. I find myself wanting to buy things from him just to have my day brightened by his happy attitude Smile The Secret Servante really is a simple, reliable, very easy to use holdout. We are often attracted to the "shiny new thing" without regard for its real value in enhancing our magic, but in performance, you can really add to an effect by ditching or bringing in coins, a folded card, a ring, a key, etc. in a magical way. Vanishing, ending cleanly, getting rid of/swapping out a gimmick, are all available to amateurs and pros to aid the performance. It is a very simple device and very lightweight. My only complaint is that I can't get my jumbo coin to fit in it for one of the free routines Sean still supplies Smile But there may be a jumbo unit. While I couldn't find one at Sean's site or any of the other suppliers, this is mentioned in the PDF. I'll have to ask him about it.

Oh Yeah...speaking of asking, just email and Sean will provide a very nicely done PDF file with 3 professional grade, audience tested coin routines. If you are vacillating over getting one (or two for left and right side), when you add in the value of the routines, it may push you over the fence. If you like Roth's "Shell Coins Across", you will enjoy Sean's version with an add on of a Jumbo Coin Production ala Roth's "Flurry".

There are lots of ways to customize mounting the Servante if you want. With coins, anyway, I haven't seen an issue, but if you want more stability if you spin and move your coat around, you can glue another mount at the bottom in about 30 seconds. I also used a large safety pin that goes around the back. You could use a tie bar maybe, use velcro, use "tie tacks"... all simple and quick modifications, though I want to stress this works out of the box and these ideas are only for people with special situations.

And for people with no jacket and just a long shirt (like a bowling shirt or Hawaiian shirt), I just opened up the Servante and slipped it over a belt, closed it again and operated it "backwards" with it facing out and going in from above! Without giving away too much, the natural bow of the holdout allows you reach to your side or near your back pocket to slide a coin up and have it nicely fall into the proper place as it tips because of the bow.
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Thank you FlightRisk for your kind comments. Secret Servante is my baby and I’m really proud of it! I use it at every gig - yes I do have a jumbo version but it’s not on my site. It works exactly the same way, but is twice the width and therefore can hold a jumbo sized coin. Thanks again.
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Holdout Opinions (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL