The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Table Amp (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Salazar Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
344 Posts

Profile of Salazar Magic
So what do you gys think if I take apart a guitar amp, cut a hole in a Lefler table, and install it into the table?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22041 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I think you are ruining a very expensive table. It all depends how large an audience you normally perform for.

This may also create feedback problems, if you are including speakers.

To stop your act to make adjustment is not professional and will upset the audience. I experienced this once just to adjust the sound level during a show.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Salazar,

In addition to feedback issues, the big problem with mounting your speaker inside the table is that the lower the speaker is mounted the less spread you will have with the sound. Unless you are always performing on a stage, the sound will get absorbed by the bodies of the people in the first few rows. So, in order to be heard at the back you will have to blast it so loud the folks in the front few rows will be VERY uncomfortable.

It would be better to put the speaker on a table/stool/keyboard stand/speaker stand to get the best coverage for your sound. Also, the speaker should be in front of you and not to the side or behind you to minimize feedback issues.

Sincerely,
David
Salazar Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
344 Posts

Profile of Salazar Magic
That's what I thought.

It will probably make all the props inside vibrate too.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Somewhere recently I found a table that had an amp and speakers built in. I wish now I remembered the name, or where I saw it. The table top was about six inches thick and had two forward facing speakers in the front and I think the controls were accessable at the back of the table. It looked like a traditional pedestal table, but I don't remember if it had room for props or if it was just the amp. It looked like it was designed for convention center demo use.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1800 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
David, Doug Malloy sells a table like that. Here's a link to it: http://www.malloymodernmagic.com/sound_table.htm
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Guitar amps are meant for amplifying guitars, not voices. They have entirely different tonal ranges, and what makes a guitar sound great typically makes a vocal sound really crummy. Not, not, not a good idea at all.

--Andy Leviss
Asst. Sound Engineer, "The Full Monty" National Tour
Heading to Ft. Worth, TX in the AM
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2004-05-02 22:24, Magicmikey wrote:
David, Doug Malloy sells a table like that. Here's a link to it: http://www.malloymodernmagic.com/sound_table.htm

Now I remember where I saw it! Thanks for the reminder. I hope it helps him in his search for an amplified table.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
Andy: I use my Pignose a lot for medium-sized and outdoor P/A applications. (Just for speaking, not for singing!) What's your opinion?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've saw an amp installed in a suitcase table. I tried to do that for a while, but the feedback was awful.

I now put a Crate Limo amp on a speaker stand.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
As I said, guitar amps are BAD for voice. Guitar has a very different tonal range from the human voice, speaking or singing. Further, guitars are high impedance devices, microphones are low impedance, so the guitar amp and mic won't be very happy together.

Furthermore, even if a guitar amp were good for a mic, which we've established isn't the case, a Pignose is a practice amp. It's not meant for performance, it just doesn't put out enough sound to work for that.

I don't recommend getting real speakers because I'm an elitist. I recommend it because there's a reason guitar amps are sold as guitar amps, bass amps are sold as bass amps, PA/announce speakers are sold as PA speakers, and full range speakers are sold as full range speakers.

--Andy
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
Oh, I didn't mean an amplifier. I actually have a snout like a porker. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Table Amp (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL