The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Climbing Trees And Other Unusual Habits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Visting an offleash dog park on a daily basis, I was somewhat suprised to go there last week and find myself with four others whom I never met before. (Usually,a core group of 15-20 of us meet at the same time and much like magicians we've developed a comeraderie amongst ourselves sharing the same interest.)

This time there were two hearing impaired and one visually impaired woman with a Golden Retreiver, A very muscular guy wearing a muscle shirt accompanied by his Pitt Bull and myself with my Old English Sheepdog, Merlin.

The guy was throwing a Kong (dog toy) with a string attached for his dog. After a few throws the toy landed on the far outer branches of a tree aprox 40 ft up. The Parks Board has cut all the lower branches of the trees to prevent people from climbing up.We all look up, even the dogs are looking up!

Wanting to help, One of the deaf woman grabs the blind womans cane and throws it in hopes of knocking the toy down. ( I swear this isn't a bad politically incorrect joke.) The cane had a hook on the end and it too became stuck on an outer branch but on another tree next to the one with the toy.

The muscular guy tries unsuccessfully to climb the first tree to retrieve the toy, while I gather a log and prop it up the second tree. I have very small feet and found I could climb by placing my feet where there were notches where the branches had been cut. The nearest branch was aprox 20 ft up. What could only be described as an ariel acrobatic swing I pull myself up on the branch and proceed to climb up further. I'm thinking I should forget about comedy magic and change my vocation to escapism. My dog is doing a head tilting thing as is common with this breed ..Mom? Mom? what are you doing?, I'm sure he's thinking while looking up at me.

I climb the rest of the way and grab the branch with the cane and shake it and the cane falls!! In the meantime the muscular guy has climbed about 5 feet and looks up and says how the #@$ did you get up there so fast? Cars driving by (as the dog park is located next to a busy street) slow down to view the strange people climbing trees.

I begin my decent and when I reach the bottom the three woman pat me on the back...Whaddawoman!!, they exclaim. It's one of those humorous events that I don't mind sharing with others even tho it makes me appear silly. Gotta be able to laugh at yourself!
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Great story! Really made me smile... thanks for sharing. Here's some lyrics that came to mind:

The forest and the evergreens
Are coming to take me back
The forest and the evergreens
Are coming to take me back
Please take me back

He was the King of trees
Keeper of the glades
The way he enchanted my life
Makes me so amazed
We used to meet by him
Many years ago
I love you
Now they've come to lay the road
Dont lay the road

As an aside, can anyone guess the song?
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Atta girl Chrystal!!

Howard
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Thanks for the song Neo..although I'm at a loss whom sang/wrote it. Perhaps others can offer that info? Hoping they'll post their own humorous real life events as well.

Howard..I'm sure my dog looked at the Pittbull and was thinking..My mom is tougher than your dad..hee hee. Well maybe not but would be a funny thought.

C
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
No one can ever say you can't see the forest for the trees. If they do just tell them that story.

As far as the escape change, you could be hung upside down by a cane from a tree limb and secured in a straight jacket. The object of the game: DON'T FALL DOWN!
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Yusuf Islam (AKA Cat Stevens) did the song.

I'da paid good money to have seen the whole event C.

X
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Nice!!!

I've always enjoyed Rock Climbing, and just climbing in general.....

My college campus is about 175 years old, and has some HUGE tree's growing in the Quad..... Whenever we play frisbi and one gets stuck, I get to go get them!!!

I love being a hundred or so feet off the ground looking out over the campus, good feeling! Also the crowd of people watching is a big rush, I just wish there was a way to climb without getting so filthy....tree's are really dirty!!!
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Yes, the song's by Cat Stevens, from his album Buddha And The Chocolate Box.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Thanks for the info X-treeme and Neo regarding the song.

MacGyver - gasp that's pretty high but what a thrill it must be climbing up and then viewing the world from above like that!

Samuel, I could visualize that effect..hanging from a tree using a cane suspended upside down. Then again, I could hang from a thread and really leave them gasping! (Lame humor.)

C
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
You mean you need an excuse to climb trees?!

Oops. I just climb them whenever the urge strikes. If people think I'm a bit odd...well, they already think I'm a bit odd so no harm done. Smile
whitelephant
View Profile
New user
Jerusalem
97 Posts

Profile of whitelephant
My night as a superhero...

Let me start by saying that my unusual habit is no where near as much fun-but a story that I thought fit.

One summer night I'm about to step into bed and I hear people yelling outside my usually quiet chicago neighborhood. Stop. Listen. Alright if I don't hear it again I'll jus... I throw on pants-black leather jacket and think I should grab something.
Cell phone-good idea. Softball bat?, to likely to get me shot. Axe-no that'll get me arrested. Screwdriver? too short. Then I see theextending metal handle that I thought I could use one day. (ah the things one has around when living in thier parents basement!)

So less then two minutes and I'm out the door. With a "black costume", a "concealed weapon" up my sleeve and a cell phone in my pocket-If only I had the batmobile... I walk out the back door and see a man and woman yelling at each other. "IS THERE A PROBLEM?!" I ask coming out from behind a car.

He lets go of her arm, "No man- nothing I can't handle"
She's walking away- he swears and starts limping after her.
They both appear drunk.
I realise that she is taunting him-lauging at his inability to catch her- he's getting more angry but not yelling. I follow them both down the street.

This parade contiues for half a block before he tells me to "mind your (&*^*( *)&%^7 buisnes *()& !@$&*(^"

I go back into the yard and watch them for a little while longer. Eventually The go back down the street that shares an alley with my families house and I follow them again.

Skipping a few details (rather then embelishing what's missing after a few years)...
He has her by the arm and she's saying, "just )*&^&*% let me go"

"I THINK YOU SHOULD LET HER GO IF SHE WANTS TO GO"

They both look at me shocked-and excluding explitives, "I told you this was none of your buisness-get away from here!" He's approaching quickly and looks like he's lost all restraint (no pun intended). I take out and extend the handle and tell him he dosn't want to start with me because I'm crazy enough to hit you in that bad leg"

So he takes out his cell phone to call the police on me-someone threating him with a weapon.

I finally get him and the woman talking-she's sure he's cheating on him. They are enganged and living together. I point out that if she aggreed to marry him there must be something there. She throws her ring on the ground. And by the time the police come the two of them are looking together on the ground for the ring.

Epilogue-
I walked up to the police car...
"you guys were actully called on me b/c I have this" showing the handle (not extended). "I came out because I heard yelling and now those two are back to talking-what they really need is some couples counciling, but I don't know if you guys do that kind of stuff."
"Is this really illeagal like he said-a concealed weapon?"
They both looked at me like I was a little crazy,"No-just take it home, and next time just call the police o.k."
I mumbled my thanks and apoligies and went home.
drink water...
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

I love that line My life as a super hero.Caused me to chuckle. While it may be considered a bit risky sometimes to get involved, you stepped up White Elephant..makes you a good guy.

C
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Climbing Trees And Other Unusual Habits (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL