The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Greg Frewin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5119 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Dan, the gimmick allows a sleeve toss type of production without wearing sleeves.
Where the magic begins
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
I sort of agree with Dan. This gimmick only allows side arm production NO front toss.

I must admit Greg Frewin is one of the Best dove worker in the world, unfortunately for this gimmmick, I will think twice to buy it cos I saw 3 live shows & Greg Frewin's One hr special Magic at Sea, twice it flashes.

For the 3 live shows I saw, it flash once because I am sitting on the extreme left. The other 2 times, I was sitting the the front. So was perfect. This looks sort like a card producing gimmick on your back palm, instead with cards but is a dove. Angle is very limited & critical, not mentioning after the dove is produced, you again need to dispose the gimmick. Hence I will still go for sleeve load.

On his one hour TV special, it flashes twice when he produce it from the ROPE/Knot routine to dove and a little when he (with gimmick in hand) hold another dove & 'slice' it becomes 2 doves. This special is shown on Canada network. I belive Greg uses 2 gimmicks for his dove act.

But still I admire his creativity of combining the idea of a card producing device with a dove for his act. I believe sometimes he comes out with his sleeve folded up first before releasing them. This really shows that there is nothing up the sleeve. Overall this is still a brillant invention, unfortunately I am unable to use it...but I will keep a watch out for his future products which I am sure it will be great like the 2 bag bounch into the bag ..change into doves....etc Smile

Hope this helps Smile
dove-boy
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Really you can't do a front toss? I came across the add in Magic and it says that you can do a front toss or side arm toss. Interesting!

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Hi MDS

I can't really comment whether front toss is workable, but from my personal view is impossible because gimmicks with dove on back hand, how to toss straight, unless 45 degree hands up? Dove will land on the floor. That's not workable, not mentioning you still need get rid of the gimmick. Toss to tail pocket..hmm?

Anyway Greg uses only side arm on his act with his Rope/Knot to dove & cutting the dove into 2, all side arm.

Though the dove not in sleeve, but sleeve must still be down to hide the gimmick more. If sleeve folds up, only arms. I'm not sure if entire gimmick can be conceal fully with just the arm & hand.

Anyway what I saw Greg does is he came out with his sleeve folded up. After a while, he pulls his sleeve down before he uses the gimmick. Or perhaps the gimmick has been modified to fit WITHOUT wearing sleeve, then I may buy one to test it out. But if with sleeve still down, then it serve no purpose because the audeince might think the dove still comes from sleeve (sleeve small or big does not make a difference to the audience), unless wearing no sleeve and dove can be produced, without angle problem. Then this is a great gimmick. Me the first to buy Smile

Hope this helps
doveboy
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
That is very true.

Thanx,

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
I don't know, it seems like a hefty investiment for a gimmick that is pretty testy. Does anyone own it yet and if so what's your experience with it?
DANSPERRY.COM
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I agree! I would need to hear more about it from someone who owns it.
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
It is a hefty investment, but very intriguing (which is why I checked out this topic). I may be mistaken, but several years ago, when Frewin first started using the gimmick, he had sleeves that looked like a grid (or a net) and you could see through the sleeve, to his arm, and out the back. That would eliminate the possibility that the loads were coming out of the sleeve and make the toss production more impressive. However, one needs to ask if the audience is really looking at that. If anyone has experience with the gimmick, I'd be interested in hearing what you think of it's practicality.
james_magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of james_magic
I agree.

I would like to hear if anyone has bought the gimmick? And how it has turned out?

James
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Though I saw Greg perform live thrice & don't quite like the idea of the gimmick. I still buy it because I love to collect dove magic effects. Also I have 3 flyback doves. will try it with my third bird, but it seems a long time to get here. Greg Frewin posted about 2 weeks but I yet to receive, I will post a review when I receive them anytime now.
james_magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of james_magic
I was just watching his dove act on 'The Greatest Magic on Earth' and I don't beleive he uses the gimmick. He uses a sleeve toss when he does the knot to dove. You can see him flick open the thing holding his sleeve shut just before he does it. Therefore the gimmick isn't used. Also, there isn't a moment before he does the knot to dove that he could gain posession of the dove. Just a thought.

James
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Watch his 1 hr special, MAGIC AT SEA. He uses 2 of this gimmick for his knot to dove & cutting the dove into 2 with knife.

In 1994, he is still using the sleeve method, actually, the sleeve looks more clean to me Smile

But if you combined both the sleeve & this gimmick,maybe it will works fine to fool the audience......I am not too sure...just hope the gimmick is not too big for my hand as Greg flashes himself too.......hope to receive 2day...
james_magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of james_magic
A bit pricey considering you could just do a regular dove toss.....
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of knmagic
Any one wants to resale his DVD set? I can't afford to pay the full price now.
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I hear that it is awesome though.

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Can anyone give some more details about the actual effects taught on this? Does it range from beginner to intermediate or is it just beginner tricks.
Nick
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of wally
I am in search of a dove production, something that is classy but fits in my trunk/ case. For my other dove I use a dove pan.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7390 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Dove Streamer is a very good option and only runs about $65. I have it listed on my sight.

I am not sure about what you mean by "Classy". I do understand the packing problems so I won't even mention my Dove Production Cage that Rick Thomas uses.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
Hi All,
I am new here so if I am doing this wrong, I apologize right up front. I have purchased Greg Frewins Sleeveless Dove Gimmick. It hasnt arrived yet, I got an e-mail from Greg and it should be here this week. Plus he has added an improvement so that is exciting! From speaking to him regarding this item, it is much like other gimmicks in that, it is designed to fool "those in the know". It is the performer, not the gimmick, that truly creates the magic. I will post again when I receive it and ofer my opinion, but I am guessing I will love it. Greg is a great guy and creates / produces very nice items. Regarding the DVD's.....BUY THEM TODAY! Period. They tell you everything you need to know about how to create your own Dove act.
Thanks for listening,
Tony
Eric Buss
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Eric Buss
I do not own the gimmick in discussion, but I have played with it while Greg looked on and told me how... It is a very cool, very clever gimmick that will suit some peoples needs, but not all. Basically, one advantage is the obvious, not having the bird loaded in your sleeve. You can load it in the gimmick, earlier than you would in your sleeve. Dove is comfortable, and you can worry about other presets... Most people know, NOT having a bird in your sleeve is more comfortable than having a bird in your sleeve, because of this, most sleeve tosses have to be at the opening of the act, not this one. Also, you can do what looks like a sleeve toss (one of the strongest visual ways to produce a dove) with a normal coat, not tailored. Plus there are lots of sublties that can be taken advantage of... one being, you could push your sleeves up early in your act, subconsciencly telling the audience that nothing is hiding up there, let them down later, and then use the gimmick. Greg is not trying to replace loading birds in the sleeve. He has just provided another excellent option. Again, not everyone will be able to use it, but the people who find that their act lends itself to this gimmick, will highly benefit!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Greg Frewin (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL