The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Current Good Brands for Flippers? (Half Dollar) (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
will lane
View Profile
Loyal user
Will likes to post so he has made
229 Posts

Profile of will lane
I'm currently shopping around for a Kennedy half dollar gravity flipper. I am not doing magic professionally (just for friends and family) so reasonable quality at a reasonable price for these kinds of performances is what I am looking for. I perused some of the older threads, but the last one that talked about brands was a few years back. I'm not sure how the market may have changed since then.

Currently eyeing the Kuepper and Johnson for around $33 USD at the moment, particularly the Johnson. What does the edge look like on the secondary piece for these coins? I am okay with external mechanisms, just want a good-enough edge. I had a Tango quarter gravity flipper years back and it was cheap. I guess they have stepped up their game since then (a lot pricier), but the edge on my quarter flipper's flipper was not convincing.

Thanks for any suggestions. Smile
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
You really can not go wrong with Johnson coins johnsonmagicproducts.com/shop/index.php . I have had some of the same gaffs from them that are still getting used after 20 years. Also Roy Kurppers does fantastic work as well. http://roykueppers.com
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Signet
I had a cheaper flipper quarter, as well. It's ok when you're first starting out, but you will quickly outgrow it. When your friends have seen you do all the basic beginner tricks, you're going to need to start learning more advanced effects. You will find that the cheaper flipper just won't cut it. It's better to spend some more money on something you can grow into.
Roy kueppers coins are off the charts in terms of quality. Having that visible groove does matter when you start doing more than just flip it in the air and have one coin disappear. I know, because I was exactly where you are about a year and a half ago. I use my kueppers half every chance I get. The cheaper quarter sits in the case. I'm considering buying an Eisenhower flipper from him as well. Be prepared to wait a while for your coin, as he's really busy.
will lane
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of will lane
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2018, Signet wrote:
I had a cheaper flipper quarter, as well. It's ok when you're first starting out, but you will quickly outgrow it. When your friends have seen you do all the basic beginner tricks, you're going to need to start learning more advanced effects. You will find that the cheaper flipper just won't cut it. It's better to spend some more money on something you can grow into.
Roy kueppers coins are off the charts in terms of quality. Having that visible groove does matter when you start doing more than just flip it in the air and have one coin disappear. I know, because I was exactly where you are about a year and a half ago. I use my kueppers half every chance I get. The cheaper quarter sits in the case. I'm considering buying an Eisenhower flipper from him as well. Be prepared to wait a while for your coin, as he's really busy.

So you would you suggest to buy from him directly (SO) instead of buying a pre-made Kuepper gaff from a magic shop?
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

They should be of the same quality. IF you do order from him, get yourself a google voice number so you can call him with out having to pay long distance fees to Canada.
Gregor Mann
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Gregor Mann
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2018, will lane wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2018, Signet wrote:

So you would you suggest to buy from him directly (SO) instead of buying a pre-made Kuepper gaff from a magic shop?

Never!! Buy from Roy Kueppers directly if you can get it from a shop. It will take forever!
My latest Rubberband effect
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7616

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-rjVv3a60g&t=18s
10 Tricks that might fool you or not Smile
will lane
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of will lane
^ Well, I ordered a RK shell from an online shop, so I guess I made a good call on that. Smile

I don't really get why he has his own site and shop, other than for special builds. Most of his prices seemed to be above the price I could find elsewhere.
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

His prices might be CND not USD
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of Peckham
Mark Mason/JB Magic.
magojose|
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of magojose|
I think that for the average magician you can’t go wrong with Johnson’s, on the other hand, if you’re serious about quality (and can afford them) then the choice would be Lassen or Schoolcraft coins
AceTheInfinite
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of AceTheInfinite
You want Roy Kueppers. His work is top notch and the price is valid for the workmanship.
Poor dini
View Profile
New user
Lancaster
16 Posts

Profile of Poor dini
I'd suggest either the ngf flipper by jb magic or schoolcraft. I own both, and with my schoolcraft I replaced the band with the elastic cording. I swear by both products and use both:)
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4565 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
While I have called Johnson brand, the working mans coin manufacturer many times before, and still stand by that, I do prefer JB Mark Mason / Bob Swadling products when I "spend up". I have also said many times that the "Triception" set by them is the best bang for the buck product. Not only are there a couple great routines on the DVD that comes with the set, but you can mix and match the gaffs (and accessories) for countless other sets used in other effects.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6657 Posts

Profile of Dougini
OK. Thanks, Poof! I see the DOUBLE DECEPTION DELUXE HALF DOLLAR BY MARK MASON & BOB SWADLING, and the NEXT GENERATION FLIPPER HALF DOLLAR BY BOB SWADLING & MARK MASON along with the TRICEPTION set. It seems Ekaterina likes the Double Deception. That's $100. The NGF Flipper is $70. I mean $195 for the Triception is a LOT of money. What does the DD have that the NGF does not? Is the 30 bucks extra worth it? I take it the Next Generation Flipper is not magnetic and is just a gravity flipper. I'd have to justify the Triception. I mean half a month's rent...

Doug
Nev Blenk
View Profile
New user
Northumberland UK
9 Posts

Profile of Nev Blenk
Just recently got some gaffs from Mark Mason / JB Magic. Fantastic service and quality at very reasonable prices.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4565 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
PM'd you specifics Doug.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Masterallen
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Masterallen
So many choices and there are so many opinions. I can’t speak on the subject of the flipper but I have purchased other Gimmicked coin from Johnson and Tango. In my opinion Johnson has the better product. I have the same question. Is a Johnson flipper good enough or do we need to buy-up “ Lassen, Schoolcraft”.

Will Lane, You have a good post on this topic.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6657 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thanks Poof!

Doug
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1924 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Does Johnson make a gravity flipper?
Yes, you can always just use a looser band or use cord... but does it have an internal band?
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1419 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Poof-Daddy, would you be kind enough to pm me with the info to the question Dougini asked? The same questions have crossed my mind. Thank you in advance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Current Good Brands for Flippers? (Half Dollar) (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL