The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Eli's Dice Box - 3D-printed (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mroek
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of mroek
Here's just a quick project I did this evening. I discovered a box that was originally called the "Eli's Dice Box", but it has been made in many versions over the years, even Richard Gerlitz made one which he called "Oriental Die Box" with ornate decals on it.

The original was turned from wood, and to fit together, one half had a small lip that fit into a recess on the other half. For those that know the trick, there is a (very) minor disadvantage to the slightly different appearance between the two halves, but only if you are dealing with extremely observant spectators.

I thought a bit about how I'd make a version of this, and from start to finished product I spent perhaps 3-4 hours, much of the time just in printing.

So here's my version:

As you can see from the images, I solved the aforementioned issue by using magnets to keep the two halves closed. That way, the two halves can be identical, and problem solved! Smile

This may be a simple trick, but I really like it, and I look forward to try it out.
lnlver
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of lnlver
I have never seen the trick performed. Do you shake the box while it's closed and predict the total of the tops of the dice before opening it? Or is it something different?
mroek
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of mroek
It is actually the same concept as the "Hua Hin Dice Mystery" by Magic Wagon, and here's a video (not mine) showing that trick:

tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2018, lnlver wrote:
I have never seen the trick performed. Do you shake the box while it's closed and predict the total of the tops of the dice before opening it? Or is it something different?

You write down a prediction of three rolls or shakes by spectator. Each shake results in a total written down. After three shakes the total is combined and matches perfectly to the magician's prediction.

Magician never touches the box! Brief examination of the props is allowed. Great effect. Gerlitz version is the best. Hua hin is beautifully made, but gimmick may be more obvious.

5 star effect.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
That looks great!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Very nice! Eliminates the discrepancy that always bothered me.
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Waters.
I think Dice Boxes are among the least appreciated items in magic and mentalism. I really love these. I have just posted about my Elijah routine which utilizes the Eli’s Dice Box to a greater extent. It is a three phased routine that makes this much more than a stunt. It also does not utilize a prediction. More info is here:

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=159

Regards,

Sean
Ibmerlin
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Ibmerlin
That's awesome!
upnxrawk
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of upnxrawk
Can you share the stls?
Billy
B.W. McCarron
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, WA USA
262 Posts

Profile of B.W. McCarron
Sorry for the late post, but I like how your Eli's Dice Box turned out. I gave it a "Like."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Eli's Dice Box - 3D-printed (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL