The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Impression Vanish by Peter Boie (41 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
sevenup
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
138 Posts

Profile of sevenup
The answer is, how else would you hold it? The pencil is required to make the impression. You could hold the pencil in a less awkward position at the start, but in the end that is the most natural position to hold the pencil to make the impression. There were some other issues with that performance but it if done correctly it is very deceptive.
If Max Maven has a drivers license, why doesn't he drive?
thejavman
View Profile
New user
SC
13 Posts

Profile of thejavman
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2018, sevenup wrote:
The answer is, how else would you hold it? The pencil is required to make the impression. You could hold the pencil in a less awkward position at the start, but in the end that is the most natural position to hold the pencil to make the impression. There were some other issues with that performance but it if done correctly it is very deceptive.

I agree with sevenup. You do the best you can to look natural without drawing attention to the handling of the pencil. Note: This Impression Vanish trick reminds me of the TT scarf trick that I have been doing for 39 years. 100 percent of the spectators have no clue how the scarf disappears. The human mind does not compute that way. I have even fooled young magicians that are just getting started out. Well, the Impression Vanish uses the same concept. The human mind does not even come close to understanding the mechanics of how something just disappears for no apparent reason. Their focus is on the impression and not on the pencil. They see the pencil as the object that made the impression. Their mind is satisfied with the impression on the paper. That is all that matters for the moment. Just like with the TT scarf trick. Their mind is so focused on the scarf and where it went, that's all that matters. Like I said, I have done it probably a thousand times and it still gets amazing reactions. I can guess that I will get the same psychological reactions when I start doing the impression vanish. They really won't know what hit them. And, that is why I love this new trick.
no2ss
View Profile
New user
California
59 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2018, Magic1 wrote:
Someone posted their own performance video. It’s sometimes helpful to see an effect performed by someone other than the creator
https://youtu.be/IwCezjVkWu8

For those that own this, must the pencil be held in such a slightly unnatural way?

It can be done *slightly* less awkwardly, but only slightly. With a little practice, there are perhaps somewhat marginally better ways to hold it, but in the end if you're making the impression, it's always going to make sense to hold the pencil at an angle to rub it with the side, rather than the point. I think most people watching feel that the awkward way to hold it is to get the pencil on its side like that, and that... is useful for the effect to work. FWIW, I've been trying it with a much smaller pencil (golf pencil) and I think that looks a little more natural and actually "helps" with a few other things that I won't discuss to avoid exposure.
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
642 Posts

Profile of oombob
Bit of a darker presentation idea...

Start off with talk of gravestone rubbings.

Demonstrate with coin.

Ask the question, but where do dead things go when they die?

Lift the paper to reveal the vanished coin.

...the great unknown.

Smile
Dannyflek
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Dannyflek
Great presentation idea oombob like it Danny Smile
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
642 Posts

Profile of oombob
Very kind of you Dannyflek.

I prefer to not tell the spectator beforehand that I will make this penny vanish.

Less heat.

I am simply demonstrating the “gravestone rubbing”.technique.

Also, I have completely removed the eraser from the end of the pencil.

After the rubbing, this then allows me to grab the sharpened end of the pencil with my left hand
and slide it out of my right hand and then immediately place the pencil on the table in full view.

This then sets you up to step back for a moment... and then reveal the (surprise) vanished penny in a completely clean manner.

Empty hands and all is examinable.
Dannyflek
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Dannyflek
Really great ideas oombob , and thank you for sharing .
Your posts really show what the Café is about and should always be about , bravo Sir Smile
no2ss
View Profile
New user
California
59 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Yes, using a golf pencil for this has allowed me to do the same sort of cleanup as oombob. Since the golf pencil is so short and there's no eraser on the end, the cleanup is quite easy and you can leave the pencil on the table. Just make sure you test it a few times to make sure things don't stick.

I know that Peter says he's not that into having the penny reappear, but (as someone else suggested earlier in the thread), I've been playing around with Nest of Wallets to bring the penny back. Have someone use a sharpie to mark the back of a penny (you can later explain you wanted them to only mark the back because you'd be rubbing the face and didn't want to smudge the marking or something like that) then you can figure out the rest. Toying around with various presentations to make this more fun, but I think the shock of the vanish and the impossibility of the reappearance buried in so many wallets, seems to be blowing people's minds.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Impression Vanish by Peter Boie (41 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL