The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » You Chose Wisely by Adrian Fowell (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5487 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2018, doriancaudal wrote:
The method for this effect is very ingenious, but unfortunately, based on John Born's MTB system, which is already really simplified and straightforward. Why complicate things as such ?

It's hard to tell if this post is positive or negative but I suppose it has a more negative tone.
But it's confusing because other posts say that YCW simplifies prior similar releases but Dorian's post implies it's more complicated.

So Dorian's opinion on this seems pretty subjective to me. Some people are always going to prefer one method over another. Often times because that is simply what they are used to.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
No offense to Dorian, but I disagree. First, John Born and and Asi Wind's ACAANs are based on a Ken Krenzel effect from the late 50s. The basic idea is very old. John Born and Asi Wind both have unique ways of doing the thing that must be done with a regular deck.

Adrian has simplified the handling by creating a gimmicked deck that makes it much easier.

Dorian asks "Why complicate things as such?" I think because he's saying that adding a gimmick is complicating it. The handling is much easier with YCW.

The truth is, many people have trouble with the moves in MTB and AACAAN. Therefore, they may well find Adrian's effect very useful.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
matsam
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of matsam
Sounds perfect for a novice like me. I love easy tricks. Purchased based on the feedback in this thread so far.
FWIW, my last purchase (Revive) was super solid for novices too.

Quote:
On Sep 19, 2018, Last Laugh wrote:
No offense to Dorian, but I disagree. First, John Born and and Asi Wind's ACAANs are based on a Ken Krenzel effect from the late 50s. The basic idea is very old. John Born and Asi Wind both have unique ways of doing the thing that must be done with a regular deck.

Adrian has simplified the handling by creating a gimmicked deck that makes it much easier.

Dorian asks "Why complicate things as such?" I think because he's saying that adding a gimmick is complicating it. The handling is much easier with YCW.

The truth is, many people have trouble with the moves in MTB and AACAAN. Therefore, they may well find Adrian's effect very useful.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1005 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Well, Dorian is an ACAAN expert (and I don't mean that sarcastically at all), but, if you look at the bottom of his posts, he sells his own version of ACAAN, so he appears at least somewhat biased.

I come into this with no real experience in ACAAN- I don't buy everything that comes out.

I bought The Grail a long time ago, and don't use it (I don't remember why), although I still have it sitting in my basement.

I'm pretty sure that is only a CAAN, though.

I own and actively use and love X-Act, which is also a CAAN.

So You Chose Wisely is an ACAAN which I can actually use.

It doesn't mean that there aren't any "better" ones out there.

But I'm not going to buy all 93 of them to find out.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1804 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2018, Jack Straw wrote:
So You Chose Wisely is an ACAAN which I can actually use.

It doesn't mean that there aren't any "better" ones out there.

Agreed. Whether it is the all-time best method isn't really the point, but rather whether it is the best method for you.

What this does is simplify aspects of the handling to make it easier for the average person to perform.

In my estimation, Adrian's contribution is not that he's necessarily come up with the best method ever, but especially that he's made the effect more accessible to those who might not be able to master methods like John Born and and Asi Wind's. Those who find the usually recommended ways of performing this routine outside their abilities, might well find this new take useful and doable.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2018, Last Laugh wrote:

Exactly, some people may prefer YCW, you are right. A bit more "gimmicky" but easy to do.
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2237 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2018, Alex DLF wrote:
Overall, for what you receive, the price asked is fair and the material is top notch, I don’t think you will be disappointed with the method or material.

It's actually around $45.50 USD...not sure I agree with "price asked is fair", I think it's a bit high for a gimmicked deck of cards, to be honest.
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1806 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2018, dooblehorn wrote:
Quote:
Overall, for what you receive, the price asked is fair and the material is top notch, I don’t think you will be disappointed with the method or material.

It's actually around $45.50 USD...not sure I agree with "price asked is fair", I think it's a bit high for a gimmicked deck of cards, to be honest.

Prices in magic, a big topic. I think the effect and the material provided are worth the asked price. X Act was $45 too so I don't think this is too much Smile
Get yourself the Flap Cards guide : http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4435

Make sure to check my review Channel, new reviews coming every week ! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
Ypnoze
View Profile
Veteran user
395 Posts

Profile of Ypnoze
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2018, Alex DLF wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Prices in magic, a big topic. I think the effect and the material provided are worth the asked price. X Act was $45 too so I don't think this is too much Smile

Totally agree, pricing is really a relative subject, if this happens to be a worker that I'll use all the time with a different outcome every time, 45$ bucks seems reasonable to me, unlike the 15$ or 20$ gimmick that I'll use only once or that isn't repeatable.
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
327 Posts

Profile of drawfull
I did consider selling either a video or pdf DIY version of this at a reduced price, but due to the amount of arts and crafts involved as well as some other bits and pieces that purchasers may not have I decided against it.

At the end of the day, I am based in the EU and 34.50eur isn't out of this world but I do appreciate that by the time shipping and local taxes are involved for those further afield, it could be too expensive for some people.
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
327 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Quote:
Quote:

As I said before I appreciate it can feel high, but the base price is around 40USD since the website is in Euros, not Pounds. Smile
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2237 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Thanks drawful
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5487 Posts

Profile of videoman
I paid $53.76 USD with shipping for YCW. It is not uncommon to pay $40 plus shipping for a gaffed deck. I have paid over $50 to Card-Shark for gaffed decks. As mentioned by Alex DLF, X-act is $45.00 plus shipping.

If you bought this from Sansmind or many others you may pay less initially but you'd be doing the A&C yourself. YCW is ready to go. PacStack if purchased ready to go is $40 plus shipping so I don't believe Adrian's price is out of line with similar items in the marketplace.

If you can't use it then any amount is too high but if it becomes one if your "go to effects" then 50 bucks is a bargain. Sometimes you just gotta roll the dice.
Fero
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of Fero
Just received.... I still haven’t looked at instructions but for what I see the price is honest, got free shipping in Europe.... and received less the 2/3 dats from the order. Really nice service.
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
327 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Glad it made it Fero, you were the first buyer as well - I sincerely hope you like it and can put it to use in your work.

Please ask here or email me/PM me if you have questions etc.

Thanks again!

Adrian
Fero
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of Fero
Hi Adrian
The method seems quite ingenious and at least to me original .... I even tried to watch the YouTube video of the move but doesn’t work, so please fix it as soon as you can.
This requires in my opinion a little practice with the move (even if looks much easier than asi winds) and the mathematic process. But repeat the method is ingenious and with a little practice should be achievable for everybody.
But please FIX THE VIDEO cause not all of us are so fluent in reading English instructions and even less are practical with ACAN moves.

Regards
Fero
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
327 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Hi Fero,

The link is working, maybe a typo? In any case, I've sent it you via PM.

Thanks
Adrian
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1804 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2018, Fero wrote:
The method seems quite ingenious and at least to me original ....
This requires in my opinion a little practice with the move (even if looks much easier than asi winds) and the mathematic process. But repeat the method is ingenious and with a little practice should be achievable for everybody.

It's great to see some more positive feedback such as the comments above from Fero.

I agree about the method being ingenious, in that it applies to the ACAAN routine a principle not previously used with it, and simplifies the overall work needed (as well as eliminating the need for memorization).

I'm looking forward to seeing what others have to say, as more people get You Chose Wisely and give it a try, and see what it has to offer.
Fero
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of Fero
Thanks Adrian for the link....
It helps a lot to see how to do the move smoothly.
What can I say. I m a ACAN lover and own many versions of it.
The few good versions are really difficult to perform (asi winds) the rest of them are easier but have some negative sides (dealing cards face down ecc..)
This Acaan in my opinion solves the problem and with a little practice in mathematics and with the move (nothing that complicated anyway) gives the possibility to everybody to achieve the best Acaan version. Only negative point is the instructions or let’s put this way, for a Acaan lover like me it’s easy to understand the basic method. A new magician who gets into Acaan for the first time a 20/30 minutes video instructions would help a lot more, maybe even some live performances.
But overall a fantastic product... I really like it.
Congrats
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
327 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Thanks Fero! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » You Chose Wisely by Adrian Fowell (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL