We Remember The Magic Cafť We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ You Chose Wisely by Adrian Fowell (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1815 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Hi !

This a new ACAAN which is very interesting, please find my review below:

Product description: Iíve never been a fan of ACAAN, I donít really know why, I find the strength of the trick to be weak in comparison with other effects. However, the fact that I donít like a specific effect doesnít mean that I cannot enjoy watching it being performed. You Chose Wisely is a very interesting take on the plot with gimmicked (but examinable) deck which ticks nearly all the boxes. You show a box of cards, ask someone to name a card and a number between 1 and 52. You take out the cards from the box and they count, itís a miracle. Itís time to review it !

Price and where to buy it: This is sold at 34.50Ä now so about $40 and you can find it in on qmagic shop: http://qmagi.com/.

What you get: The packaging is quite nice, a white cardboard box, a little bit bigger than a deck of cards with a cardboard booklet in which you have the explanations for the trick. The explanations are written ones, but I believe a video version of them will be available in the future. Even if you donít speak English, the instructions are easy to follow, so is the trick. There is a bit of maths to do but again, itís quite simple and you should pick it really quickly. The deck is very very clever, Iíve never seen such principle and it allows you to perform a clean ACAAN wirh the spectator dealing the cards. The case is also cleverly gimmicked. Overall, for what you receive, the price asked is fair and the material is top notch, I donít think you will be disappointed with the method or material.

Teaser: there is no teaser yet for this one. You can find the description of the routine here: https://qmagi.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fyou-chose-wisely

The pros and the cons: Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS:
The deck is gimmicked but you could use it for other tricks. However, it would destroy the setup. So I consider this one as a 1 trick deck.
It requires a bit of simple maths, everyone will be able to do it but you still need to think during the effect.

THE PROS:
I really like props that are both gimmicked and examinable, and this deck is a perfect example. Itís cleverly gimmicked but examinable.
The spectator can name almost any number between 1 and 52 (it must be 3 or greater), and also any card!
Once you get the knack, itís quite easy to perform the effect. I think the impact deserves the work you need to provide for it to work.
You nearly never handle the cards, except when you take them out of the box, so itís very fair.
The spectator is dealing the cards himself and can see that theyíre all different.
The reset is quick, just put the cards back in the box and youíre ready to go again.
There is no multiple outs or anything like that, you can repeat the trick with a different card and a different number !

Overall rating: Iím not a big connoisseur in ACAAN but You Chose Wisely is a very good and solid solution to the plot. Itís nearly hands off, uses a clever principle and is spot on every time. I wouldnít carry the deck with me just to do this effect but I can see how powerful it could be for people, 3/4 hearts.

As for the difficulty level, you need to know how to handle the memorization and maths but itís a matter of 1 hour I think, 2/5 stars.

Similar products: I really like X-Act by Mike Kirby, Think by Shin Lim or the ACAAN from Asi Wind.

If you liked this review, make sure to check all my other ones on my website: http://lesavisdalexis.wixsite.com/reviews
Get yourself the Flap Cards guide : http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4435

Make sure to check my review Channel, new reviews coming every week ! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
Fero
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of Fero
Just bought it.... from your words looks amazing
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1005 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
I really wanted to be the one to start this thread, but Alex beat me to it.

Let me start off by saying that Adrian Fowell, after reading some of my comments here, had the guts to contact me and offer me a deck to use and then review it at his expense, so yes, I did receive this for free.

That he wanted me to review it for him says a lot about the man.

For Adrian, who is a Briton based in Spain, this is his first creation, and he was not afraid for me to trash his work because he truly believed in his uniquely gimmicked deck and handling of the classic Any Card At Any Number. I told him flat out that if I didn't like it, I would freely say so.

Well, I'm not going to say that.

Let me tell you that I owe my allegiance only to the person that spends his or her hard earned money on magic because they love performing for friends and family and paying audiences, and I am loyal to no creator here- I'm on the side of the average Joe. I'm not afraid to ruffle the feathers of well known guys who release garbage and rely on their big name to sell lots of product, even though it's useless except for You Tube or performers with exceptional skills.

Like Alex, I am not a big fan of the ACCAN, mainly because I find it either beyond my abilities or my performance style. I currently use X-Act, which I love (and it's only a CAAN), and I bought The Grail many years ago and it's still sitting in my basement gathering dust for reasons that I can't remember.

Adrian Fowell has come up with a very nice Any Card At Any Number.

It does involve a little bit of math that needs to be done in 2 steps, so if that scares you, don't buy it.

But anyone with a mathematical education that stops short of a College or University should be able to handle it fairly easily. Of course, you're going to have to talk and do the mathematics at the same time, unless you want to say "Hold on a minute while I do the math", which I would advise against.

I haven't had it long enough yet to actually perform it for people other than my wife, because my days of messing up magic tricks are (hopefully) in my past, and I want to make sure that I get it right before I take it out and use it.

You have to apply either of 2 simple formulas depending on the card and number named, and my limited practice has found me sometimes using the wrong formula at the wrong time, but once I get my head straightened out on that, it'll be fairly easy to perform.

I really wanted to wait to give my review until I've actually used it in real life, but Alex's start of this thread has forced my hand.

My day job involves delivering coffee products and supplies to small coffee shops similar to Starbucks (but not Starbucks itself) in the New York City area, and I like to perform tricks for the employees and customers when I stop by on my weekly visits.

I know that I will be using this deck very soon.

The way this works is quite good, and I can't imagine how Adrian figured out getting it done.

If you can do the math, you can do the trick. It doesn't require any other special skills or sleights.

A spectator names any card in the deck (except for one), another names any number from 3 to 52, and, amazingly, that card appears at that number with the spectator dealing the cards.

The instructions are well written, and Adrian has informed me that some of my minor criticism of the instructions will be addressed and corrected by him.

The simple video that he made of the handling of the box cleared up any misconceptions that I had about the handling of the deck.

So, read the 4 small pages of well written English instructions, watch the video, keep the math straight in your head, and you're good to go.

Of course, some practice is needed. I would never use a trick without practicing first, even though I've been into magic for a good 15 years.

The box cannot be examined (but why would you want to do that?) and the deck can be used for other tricks, but once that happens you will not be able to do "You Chose Wisely" without resetting the cards, which will take 5 minutes. If you just use the deck for the intended trick, reset is about 10 or 15 seconds.

So far, this is only available from Adrian, and my conversations with him make me believe that he is a reliable person, and I would stake whatever good reputation that I have here on him. The work that goes into this deck is pretty extensive, and his postage costs are pretty darn high, and I believe that he is being extremely reasonable in the price that he is selling this for. If it was mine, I'd have to charge more for it. I believe that he can only ship 2 days a week, but mine travelled from Spain to New York in less than a week.

Adrian posts here as Drawfull, and I'm sure that he will stop by and offer some insight on his effect.

So if you are looking to do a good and reliable Any Card At Any Number, I would suggest taking a look at this one.

Thank you, Adrian!
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
magic11ryan
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of magic11ryan
Any videos to share?
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
327 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Thanks Alex and Jack for the kind words.

I am still dithering over shipping methods for this. Those that have already ordered will have gotten free shipping, but it is very difficult for me to send the thing in a timely manner, in a way that won't get lost and keep it that way. So at the moment, from now, if you live in the EU a free shipping option is available. Outside of the EU unfortunately there's a charge. I didn't want to increase the price of the effect to compensate, so for now it is what it is. Just now that if you order from the US, Canada, Far East, Australia etc., it will arrive pretty quickly and you'll know where it is during transport.

magic11ryan, not at the moment though I may sort something in the future. From start to finish, you touch the deck for fewer than 4-5 seconds (pick up case, remove cards, hand cards over/place on table and that's it) and there is no get ready for a move.

Thanks

Adrian
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
327 Posts

Profile of drawfull
I have had a couple of questions re shipping so this should save you having to go through the cart process:

Within the EU Standard - Free
Express Spain (24h) - Ä4.99
Express EU (24-48h) - Ä8.99
US / Canada (48-72h) - Ä9.99
RoW (72h) - Ä14.99

Thanks

Adrian
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5587 Posts

Profile of videoman
Adrian, it's really not fair guys like you taking advantage of us ACAAN addicts.
But I bought it as you knew I would have to.
When you need a fix resistance is futile.
Enjoy spending my money while on your world cruise. Smile
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
327 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Haha, but I know the feeling.

Thank you for the money! Smile
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
The method for this effect is very ingenious, but unfortunately, based on John Born's MTB system, which is already really simplified and straightforward. Why complicate things as such ?
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
327 Posts

Profile of drawfull
While what this method aims to achieve in this version of the ACAAN, and other effects similar to many ACAANs, the modus operandi here is unique, and as such different to John Born's method Dorian. It makes the handling, and the math significantly easier.

And since you do not have the effect, I am surprised that you know the method.
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
327 Posts

Profile of drawfull
That sentence doesn't work. It should say, "Whilst what this method aims to achieve is similar to that found in many other ACAAN effects that have been released, the modus operandi here is unique, and as such, different to John Born's method".
Ypnoze
View Profile
Veteran user
395 Posts

Profile of Ypnoze
Really interested, it could be the perfect addition for a synchronicity piece I have in my show, yet I'm curious to see a video demo of the effect, is it as straightforward at it seems?

Best regards
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
327 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2018, Ypnoze wrote:
Really interested, it could be the perfect addition for a synchronicity piece I have in my show, yet I'm curious to see a video demo of the effect, is it as straightforward at it seems?

Best regards

It is straightforward in handling and the maths is relatively easy. I don't have a video of it at this time, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread it is something I will try and sort one way or the other going down the line. Please feel free to contact me and I can explain in more detail.

Thanks
Adrian
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1862 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
I'll add a positive plug for this trick.

Short version: This is a powerful trick because it retains what we'd want most in a good ACAAN routine. You will need to put a bit of effort in to master the handling and the mental maths, but once you have the knack of it, you can perform what appears to be a true miracle. It is worth the small amount of effort required, especially because of the apparent impossibility of what happens. As with any ACAAN routine, there is some compromise, which in this case is that it requires a gaffed deck rather than a regular deck, and there is some handling and mental math to master. But unlike some other ACAAN routines, it doesn't require a memorized deck, and that ensures that it is still well within the capabilities of the intermediate magician. It's more accessible than Asi Wind's version, while retaining its strengths. Perhaps more importantly, it really plays to what are the most essential ingredients of a strong ACAAN effect: a truly freely selected card, a truly freely selected number, and the cards being counted out and handled by the spectator, and the cards examinable afterwards. Now that's strong magic!

Long version - see my full review here:

https://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=51112

pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9316 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2018, doriancaudal wrote:
The method for this effect is very ingenious, but unfortunately, based on John Born's MTB system, which is already really simplified and straightforward. Why complicate things as such ?

Thanks Dorian.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1862 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:

Quote:
On Sep 18, 2018, drawfull wrote:

It would be good to clarify this. Dorian, are you saying that you know and have seen the method used in Adrian Fowell's just released effect?

I'm trying to determine if your criticism is an objective one based on your personal and actual firsthand experience with the effect, or is merely a matter of your conjecture/supposition.
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
327 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2018, EndersGame wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
On Sep 18, 2018, drawfull wrote:

It would be good to clarify this. Dorian, are you saying that you know and have seen the method used in Adrian Fowell's just released effect?

I'm trying to determine if your criticism is an objective one based on your personal and actual firsthand experience with the effect, or is merely a matter of your conjecture/supposition.

He is familiar on some level, and we've spoken about it via PM.

At the moment I have sent further stuff to John Born as I would prefer it to be clear that whilst method may be similar, modus operandi is very different. As to whether any ACAAN is better or worse, I would say it's subjective and based upon one's skill level and so on.

Thanks

Adrian
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1862 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
I've now posted my full review of You Chose Wisely elsewhere on The Magic Cafť at the link below. I like the ingenuity behind the method, and can recommend this trick.

Review: The ACAAN holy grail just became easier (You Chose Wisely by Qmagi)
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......c=675032

doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2018, EndersGame wrote:

I know the detailed method, otherwise I wouldn't talk about this effect and comapre it with other ones.
So my criticism is objective.
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Adrian was kind enough to send me a review copy as well.

It is a gimmicked deck that simplifies the 'classic' method.

I don't think it's fair to compare it to John Born's MTB. In some ways it uses the classic method that John Born and Asi Wind have done their own work on (but did NOT originate - it goes back at least to Ken Krenzel in the late 50s), but it makes the hard part easy with a uniquely gimmicked deck. Also, no memorization.

It's a very practical method and allows for a very clean 'perfect' ACAAN.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ You Chose Wisely by Adrian Fowell (15 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL