The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Through The Looking Glass (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Y'know, I have been noticing for a good while all the new stuff that just consistently comes out from here and there...a bit of it just wondrous stuff, from the BIG, small and all of everybody. I gotta tell'ya, I like it like that because there's always interesting stuff coming out, and it don't just have to come from the more well known creators. Nowadays it just about come out of the mind and abilities of anyone. Smile

I've seen some stuff that I just can't believe from people I've never heard of. Witnessed some of the most amazing magic from many different places in the world, when from being a kid in magic thought this was the only place in the world all this amazing stuff was happening...boy was I wrong! Smile

At one time, it seemed like magic kept coming mostly from the same sources, but now (mostly because of the internet) it has opened its doors from many contributors, and you see that amazing minds and thinking can come from anywhere. Of course, the more mature still like to see it as it was to them and will lean mostly that way until they can stand no more, but larger part of what's coming out is coming from new thinkers mostly. I guess that's about how it should be really as it's sorta what progress is all about.

Nice that all the new effects don't necessarily have to be new ideas, just ideas used in different ways. I've mentioned the new effect, "F I T" a few times in other strings, but it is a good example of the proverbial "better mousetrap." Smile What John Jurney did with his Triple Split Coins helped turn the corner on the better machine work as to them, and then it opened the door to other split ideas, like his new Transformer Coin System. These ideas aren't coming from the supposed "BIG Boys" in craftsmanship but from a mom & pop guy that actually wants to humbly remain as such...what a novel idea. Smile And there are many others, and I suggest you take a look sometimes in the "Latest & Greatest" forum to see the dozens of new effects almost weekly that go through there. Now, all of them are not the next best thing, actually some can be quite crappy, but there's a lot of interesting magic that comes to light, and most times by just about anybody that just happens to love the art... I really like that. Smile

Now, it seems sorta hard for new stuff to come up in coin magic, as there's but so many basic moves to be built upon into new offerings, but there have been some movement none-the-less. And again, not necessarily just from the usual suspects, but from a whole host of individuals out of the blue, from Ponta The Smith to Jeff Copeland & Jeremiah Zuo to Bill Citino's new book, "Sleepless" and on & on. Smile It just keeps happening and in much bigger ways nowadays thanks to technology, and every so often you get a gem or two, maybe some new way on an old way, or even sometimes something genuinely new in one way or the other. Good ingredients as to progress, IMHO. Smile And of course, the old stuff is still real good stuff, and usually the base level ingredients in most things we call progress in our art. And y'know, everybody ain't gonna like everything and the good thing is that it ain't necessary that they do. Smile That way, old doors don't get shut on things that may just need the light of day to grow into something worthwhile, the person and or the magic. Smile The good instruction of encouragement works better than the old high-handed/low brow dismissal of the intelligentsia, and with all the many doors open wide now via technology, there's more stuff than ever to choose from and to better consider, and less old clubs to be shut out or to be made not welcome to. Smile

Just musing, I guess...But real happy at all the doors that have been flung open wide, to see all of the many layers of potential for people to better consider and enrich their love of the art. Sorta like the good and the bad that comes with eating any such apple of knowledge, and then taking the good with the bad of it and finding that through it all, there's so much good and wonderful potential out there, too. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
I agree! For a few years now I've been keeping an eye out for all the coin stuff coming out of places like Vietnam, Indonesia, Korea, and Japan. Those guys are insane, but you don't see much of it coming out to the western markets.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2018, Rick Holcombe wrote:
I agree! For a few years now I've been keeping an eye out for all the coin stuff coming out of places like Vietnam, Indonesia, Korea, and Japan. ...

What do coins look like in those places?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2018, Rick Holcombe wrote:
I agree! For a few years now I've been keeping an eye out for all the coin stuff coming out of places like Vietnam, Indonesia, Korea, and Japan. ...

What do coins look like in those places?

Haha. I should've said "coin material" not "stuff".
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
MB's Krazy Coins is full of fun coin magic
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks so much fonda, KrazyKoinZ is indeed a fun one, so many ways to end it, in your hands, in their hands, on a table, whatever! Thanks for noticing, because I am definitely one of those people where the magic came out of nowhere, or something like that. Smile

*Oh, and hey, 'tis written... Smile

"Magic does not exist in the mechanics of an effect. It exists somewhere between you and the mind of the spectator. We handle the mechanics and present them to the mind and emotions of the spectator. He reacts and the illusion is born. That is magic." -- Father Cyprian, 1980

Good Day and Good Way to all. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Through The Looking Glass (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL