The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk that says boom or bang (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Thought this would be easy. Searched a lot for a silk that says "boom" or "bang." No luck. Any suggestions?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3598 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Does it need to be silk? Do you need to pack it tightly?

Here is an acetate "silk" I made using permanent markers on a cardboard surface. It wears like iron. It is 18" and packs well enough for a change bag but not for a silk production from a roll. This kind of "silk" is great for things like silk on rope as long as your hand is large enough to hide the silk. It holds up to the stress.

Http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/uploa......silk.jpg

-Mary Mowder
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2018, Mary Mowder wrote:
Does it need to be silk? Do you need to pack it tightly?

Here is an acetate "silk" I made using permanent markers on a cardboard surface. It wears like iron. It is 18" and packs well enough for a change bag but not for a silk production from a roll. This kind of "silk" is great for things like silk on rope as long as your hand is large enough to hide the silk. It holds up to the stress.

Http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/uploa......silk.jpg

-Mary Mowder

Thanks for the idea, Mary. Need to be able to palm probably.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1054 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Gomerel

This is a resource that should be exactly what you want.

https://www.wonderimagery.com/collections/custom-silks

Best of luck

Mark
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2018, Mark Boody Illusionist wrote:
Gomerel

This is a resource that should be exactly what you want.

https://www.wonderimagery.com/collections/custom-silks

Best of luck

Mark

Thank you so much, but way out of my price range.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2757 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2018, gomerel wrote:

Since no one here knows what your price range is, the best answer is to learn to make a silk that says "boom" or "bang" yourself using any existing silk and some silk paints from Dharma Trading Company. https://www.dharmatrading.com/paints/mar......nts.html That is assuming $3.69 plus postage is within your price range and you already own a paint brush and a hot iron.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2018, jimgerrish wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2018, gomerel wrote:

Since no one here knows what your price range is, the best answer is to learn to make a silk that says "boom" or "bang" yourself using any existing silk and some silk paints from Dharma Trading Company. https://www.dharmatrading.com/paints/mar......nts.html That is assuming $3.69 plus postage is within your price range and you already own a paint brush and a hot iron.

Hardy har. But thanks for the info.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7339 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
You didn't say what size of silk. Assuming you want a 9" or 12" silk with the word "boom" or "bang", it's easy enough to make yourself. Buy a few silks (extras are good, and small silks are inexpensive). Buy an embroidery hoop (available at Michaels Craft Store and other places). Stretch a single silk over the embroidery hoop. Draw on the silk with a marker pen like a Sharpie. Short, quick strokes work better, if you don't want your artwork to bleed as much when drawing (felt pens are going to bleed on fabric). Some people have their original artwork on a piece of paper underneath the silk, so they can trace it onto the silk. Remove the silk from the hoop. Use the silk in your show.

(Paint was mentioned above, but Sharpies can work fine, too.)

Another idea is a buy a bang gun prop, and simply remove the cloth / silk from that prop. That cloth / silk has the word "bang" on it.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21183 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
When I wanted a Bang Silk, I just purchased the cheap novelty Bang Gun sold on Amazon and Gag, Novelty stores and websites. There was two size guns, large and small. I'm sure they are still available, they are made in China now, so no guarantee they are still silk material. You would have to check.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3598 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
How do you plan to produce it?

If you use permanent markers on silk I would frame it and use a blotter like cardboard underneath and touching the silk just like with the acetate to reduce bleeding.

Try it on an old silk first.

- Mary
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2018, Donald Dunphy wrote:
You didn't say what size of silk. Assuming you want a 9" or 12" silk with the word "boom" or "bang", it's easy enough to make yourself. Buy a few silks (extras are good, and small silks are inexpensive). Buy an embroidery hoop (available at Michaels Craft Store and other places). Stretch a single silk over the embroidery hoop. Draw on the silk with a marker pen like a Sharpie. Short, quick strokes work better, if you don't want your artwork to bleed as much when drawing (felt pens are going to bleed on fabric). Some people have their original artwork on a piece of paper underneath the silk, so they can trace it onto the silk. Remove the silk from the hoop. Use the silk in your show.

(Paint was mentioned above, but Sharpies can work fine, too.)

Another idea is a buy a bang gun prop, and simply remove the cloth / silk from that prop. That cloth / silk has the word "bang" on it.

- Donald

Thanks!
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
When I wanted a Bang Silk, I just purchased the cheap novelty Bang Gun sold on Amazon and Gag, Novelty stores and websites. There was two size guns, large and small. I'm sure they are still available, they are made in China now, so no guarantee they are still silk material. You would have to check.

Thanks. Doesn't have to actually be silk. I'll check it out
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:

I have purchased a bang gun from Mad Hatter. Thanks all for your help.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3598 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
If it didn't need to be silk then the acetate would have worked. Just for future reference when a pre-printed item is unavailable.
I know you are crafty and hemming acetate is not a problem if you iron in the hem before sewing. Teasing out a thread on each end will keep the grain absolutely straight.
Teasing out a second thread on each end a little in will help make the ironing line for the hem straight as well.

-Mary Mowder
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7336 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I certainly can paint a boom or bang silk. It is far less complicated than some I have painted.
Drop me an email (through my website) or give me a call and we can talk.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of gomerel
I ordered three from Mad Hatter then, duh, realized I could get them from our brick and mortar store, Grand Illusions. So I bought another one there today. They are very flimsy but also very cheap. Leora told me that the glue used to hold the flag is like from a hot glue gun so it doesn't stick. She said to use another, stronger glue. Also, there are some little weights at the bottom of the flag. They tend to fall out. Just replace them. There are actually three sizes of gun. The flag is not silk but that didn't matter

The guns are cheesy but so is the trick.

http://www.grandillusions.com/product/ba......g-small/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk that says boom or bang (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL