The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Frozen in Time, High Tech Version by Masuda (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
2226 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
The first thing that makes it "not perfect" is the limited range, at least with my set. I'm in communication with Hocus Pocus / Murphy about this issue to check if my set is defective... To make a long story short, my maximum range is about 3 feet when I hide the transmitter in my hand (finger palm) or up to 5 feet when I place the transmitter in my pants' pocket and operate it with my finger tips... This is fine for most performances, but it won't be suitable if I'd like to have a confederate operating the transmitter. A range of 15-20 feet would have been "perfect".

A minor issue I have is that there's no "on-off" switch in the box, so you have to remove the batteries (4 AAA) after each performance. (Thankfully there is an "on-off" switch on the transmitter). Any kind of switch for the box would have been helpfull...

Lastly, a very minor thing concerns the material used at the (false) bottom of the box, which is a black plastic sheet (see picture). I would have prefer the same material that the one used around the frame (a soft material would look more likely as a "protection" for the frame). I might try black velvet...

Simon
Magic Wagon Secret Sessions thread : Table of contents
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
844 Posts

Profile of StarManager
I echo and agree with Simon. I have added blutac to the rails so the black false bottom is not easy to take (or fall) out. My transmitter is good for about 20 feet palmed and 25 feet direct line of sight in pants pocket. Simon it may be the receiver not transmitter. Try a new battery in the transmitter and try using lithium or high power batteries in the reciever. I've put pieces of playing cards cut to a strip to make an OFF/ON switch by blocking the battery contacts on all the positive sides.

Simon I was going from memory on the old manual version. I was wrong. It is indeed the exact same size on the "postcard"

JT
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
2226 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
Hey Jonathan, thanks for the ideas and advices!

I've tried brand new batteries (Duracell Quantum AAA for the receiver and Panasonic CR2032 for the transmitter) but the performance (range) did not improve... I will try lithium batteries instead... I had the chance to chat with another owner and he is also limited to 5 feet with the gimmick in his pants pocket... But he had better results than me palmed (up to 8 feet).

I will definitely cut some strips of playing card to block the battery contacts as you did, good idea!

Simon
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
844 Posts

Profile of StarManager
I think the air in Hawaii is more conductive . . . LOL
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
bartleby
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of bartleby
Really appreciate the extra context gents. This looks to be a winner.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1454 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
If your into DIY,

There are two batteries holders, one set of AAA batteries power the receiver and the other set of batteries powers the motor.

I haven't done this yet, but intend to do it.

If you cut one lead on the battery holder, then add some new wire to each cut end and add a normally closed magnetic reed switch to the circuit.

Do this for the other battery holder too.

Make sure that you added enough wire so the reed switches can reach the side or bottom of the box, together, side by side.

Where ever you are going to mount the reed switches, you first need to mount a small piece of magnetic metal, a shim so to speak.

Eventually you will hot glue the shim and the two side by side reed switches to the spot you want to mount them.

This will enable you to place a strong rare-earth magnet on the outside, which will stick to the box due to the shim and at the same open the two reed switches whne the magnet is in place, cutting the power to the innards.

In this way, you don't even have to take the inside of the box apart every time you want to remove batteries to shut things down.

This is the same technique that Tim Wisermann uses on a lot of his electronically gaffed boxes.

He calls it a "keeper magnet" arrangement.

I've done this to a number of effects that do not have an "off switch" of some sort.
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
844 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2018, bartleby wrote:
Simon - what constraints are on the High Tech version that make it not perfect. What would make it perfect?

Great Question!!!

1. The receiver has no on-off and you are required to REMOVE the batteries after every show and then replace before the show. They should have a switch in the box
2. The rest is on the thread now!

JT
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3323 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Good tip Al, when I get mine will look at doing something along those lines. Not sure until I see it but I suspect just the receiver is probablly drawing power and needs to be shut off. The needed switch(s) can be harvested from cheap window alarms, have even seen them in dollar stores.

Thanks Jonathan and Simon for sharing your observations.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3323 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I emailed Kreis magic about the remote range as they are making the units. He responded that in ideal circumstances with no blockage it would be 10 metres or 30 feet. He said he would recommend being within a few metres or less when performing.
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
844 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Al I have some of Tim's effects and love this idea. Sometimes, however, the mag falls off through moving or brushing and I find myself DOA replacing 12 batteries . . .
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1641 Posts

Profile of 252life
Great/helpful thread Gents. Thx much Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
844 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Thanks 252life! Really appreciate hearing that the time put into these types of reviews is helping others. I love to see depth like this when I'm looking at things I don't have yet.

FYI all - I put in Lithium Energizers and kept them in doing 10 tests a day to see how long they would last. 3 days with 20 sets a day (set to midnight, perform a time movement times 10 is 20 sets, times 3 for 60 total positionings and 30 "performances." So - for most of us - we gotta pop out the top battery, with the red dot next to it after any show. But good to know.

Also - RANGE of receiver reduces rapidly from about 30 feet when brand new lithiums put in to only 20 feet after 4 performances and then down to about 12 feet after the first day. So there IS a distance issue. I tested line of sight from pants pocket.

JT
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3044 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
The distance issue is an issue with me too. Mine is 3 or 4 feet maximum no matter what brand batteries I use. And it gets worse as the batteries start to drain.
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
2226 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2018, rowdymagi5 wrote:
The distance issue is an issue with me too. Mine is 3 or 4 feet maximum no matter what brand batteries I use. And it gets worse as the batteries start to drain.

Hey Rowdymagi15,
Is that when you fingerpalm the transmitter (I'm at 3-4 feet too), when you place it in your Pocket (I reach up to 5-6 feet), or when you aim at the receiver like you would do with a TV remote (my max is 5-6 feet between the two props as well)?

Maybe it is a defective batch... Where did you get yours (I bought mine from Hocus Pocus the day it came out)?

Simon
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
844 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Simon FYI I got mine at SEO. Initial batch they got.
magic259
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of magic259
This distance issue is a bit worrying.

I have put my name down with SEO Magic to buy one from the next batch available, but I am now thinking that I will need some confirmation from SEO Magic on what the operating range should be before committing to buy.
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
844 Posts

Profile of StarManager
I'm not having a problem containing this to pocket and 5 feet away to be certain. I'd love it further.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3044 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I bought mine from SEO. It does help to "aim" the remote. I do not have full trust that in performance it will work, too dependent on a direct and short line of sight.
Dr. O
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
229 Posts

Profile of Dr. O
Another batch surfaced at SEO. I received mine today. Wow! what a nice effect. I Have not had a chance to play with it much but I feel this will get a lot of use. I want to thank you StarManager for the great thread and also thanks all those who participated. This exemplifies what the Café should be about.
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
2226 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
Please let us know about the distance you can reach Dr.O !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Frozen in Time, High Tech Version by Masuda (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL