The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Hereditary (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5190 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Easily one of the most disturbing horror films I have ever seen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6wWKNij_1M

Only criticism is the same one I had for The Witch. This director underestimates his storytelling ability, and tells too much at the conclusion. The Witch completely blew it at the end by showing too much and not letting our imaginations complete the picture. Hereditary ends with a way over-complicated coda that comes out of nowhere. I wish the film would have ended 5 minutes before it did.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Sean Xem
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
212 Posts

Profile of Sean Xem
Oz, thanks for pointing this movie out. I saw this recently and agree on how unsettling it is.

I’ve been a horror movie fan for decades, and I can honestly say this movie scared me more than any other. 😱 Incredible
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1454 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2018, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Easily one of the most disturbing horror films I have ever seen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6wWKNij_1M

Only criticism is the same one I had for The Witch. This director underestimates his storytelling ability, and tells too much at the conclusion. The Witch completely blew it at the end by showing too much and not letting our imaginations complete the picture. Hereditary ends with a way over-complicated coda that comes out of nowhere. I wish the film would have ended 5 minutes before it did.

This wasn't any scarier than my bathroom.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5190 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Well, that does it. I am cancelling the plans we had for me to come and see your bathroom.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5190 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2018, Sean Gem wrote:
Oz, thanks for pointing this movie out. I saw this recently and agree on how unsettling it is.

I’ve been a horror movie fan for decades, and I can honestly say this movie scared me more than any other. 😱 Incredible

I thought the mother was fantastic. Without giving too much away, her reaction after seeing the aftermath of the accident was gripping an so unsettling.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Yes, the actress who played the part of the mother was splendid, and the conclusion should have left more to the viewer's imagination.

George
Sean Xem
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
212 Posts

Profile of Sean Xem
Yes, the mother's performance was incredible. So rare to see that caliber of acting in a horror genre movie.

I was delightfully disturbed.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1454 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2018, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Well, that does it. I am cancelling the plans we had for me to come and see your bathroom.

Touche' LOL.
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1229 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Finally saw this flick with my wife. We had to watch it over two nights, as it was just too effing traumatic for us!! This has now replaced The Ring and Paranormal Activity as the scariest movie I have EVER seen. This was so intelligently composed, so well acted all around, and just so d@mned FREAKY... it will haunt me for awhile, which is what I love about good horror.

I hated the ending of The VVitch, just too over-the-top absurd after such a quietly powerful build-up, but I actually appreciated Hereditary's ending, as it clarified so much of what had gone before. I also enjoyed how faithful it was to the, er... (don't want to give any spoilers)... let's say, the "source material," which I looked up afterward in some of the books in my library. The named "person" at the end is represented exactly how he is historically described, which is one reason I liked the ending. It brought a type of closure (IMHO).

And the seance scenes... just crazy and masterful! THIS type of effect is what many of us are aiming for in our seance performances..!

There aren't really any "jump scares" that are so prevalent in typical immature horror; the dread this generates is authentic, existential, and absolutely unrelenting! Boxes of thumbs way up!

Seth
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5190 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Seth, your review is spot on. The story of the young girl, and her clicking in and of itself is a horror story.

And I feel exactly the same about The Witch. It was picture perfect until the sell-out ending. If you are an alternative film producer, who knows she or he is going after a very qualified and intelligent audience, don't underestimate them by feeding them Hollywood pablum. The ending of this film took it from a 10 to somewhere in the middle of the spectrum, and that's putting it kindly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Hereditary (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL