The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Corner Short (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TH10111
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of TH10111
Hi all,

I've been playing with the corner short recently and thought some of you might find it interesting: https://th10111.wordpress.com/2018/06/09/the-corner-short/

:)

TH
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
That's fascinating! Great discovery.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Ironjim
View Profile
New user
Northern Ca
50 Posts

Profile of Ironjim
Thanks- Good read. I just did a search last week on the s**rt card - and this is a good reference. The example was fun as well. A couple of questions - are you using nail trimmers? Do you do both ends?

Thanks
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Hi TH10111 - very cool! Great discovery. I'm giving this a shot.

Do you ever find that spectators notice the unusual corners? Since I know about it, I can't help but see it when I look at a corner shorted card. What's your experience in this regard?

Mike
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I like to do my corner shorts on the jokers. That way I can take them out of play and have a “clean” deck later. I have a couple different ounces from Fiskar that trim the corner decent and easy to use but noticeable to me and the other is less noticeable but you need to develop more of a touch.

I am also experimenting with “scalloped” cards on ends or sides. There is a nice section in “Greater Magic” on “The Tuned Deck” dealing with multiple key cards. Aaron Fisher’s Conjuring Community did a nice lecture on “The Tuned Deck” that got me interested. I made a very inexpensive tool to trim the scallops. I got my idea from watching this linked video a while back when this was going around in the gagged and funky forum. Since this reminded me that I had the page bookmarked, I decided to order 2 sets of the curved templates. I searched several hobby shops locally and they all did not carry these. I grabbed mine on eBay for abou $30 total shipped (two sets @ $12 something plus shipping). I plan on using a razor rather than a file or Emory board like in the video. I will likely post my findings in gagged and funky after it arrives. I have a couple other tools I am playing with also.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2018, TH10111 wrote:
Hi all,

I've been playing with the corner short recently and thought some of you might find it interesting: https://th10111.wordpress.com/2018/06/09/the-corner-short/

:)

TH

REALLY cool!!!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I like to do my corner shorts on the jokers. That way I can take them out of play and have a “clean” deck later. I have a couple different "ounces" from Fiskar that trim the corner decent and easy to use but noticeable to me and the other is less noticeable but you need to develop more of a touch.

also

I got my idea from watching this linked video a while back when this was going around in the "gagged" and funky forum ---AND----
I will likely post my findings in "gagged" and funky after it arrives.

Autocorrect on my iPhone didn't like the word's "punches & gaffed" I guess. Smile

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Churken2
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Churken2
Great info in the link.

I corner short two cards and scallop two cards in my mem deck work. (I use a picture rounding punch from Staples for the corner shorts) It really helps me get around the deck quickly without having to look. I can still execute perfect faros, etc with the "work" put in the deck. To date, in over 15 years of doing this, NO layman has ever mentioned noticing the "work".
Emory Kimbrough
View Profile
New user
Tuscaloosa, AL
94 Posts

Profile of Emory Kimbrough
I prefer to use a marked, nicked, thick, slick, breather-crimped, corner-short card. Why take chances?

More seriously, I can recommend the Korner Short or Kornershort by Frank Comito - It's an excellent device for quickly and accurately making neat, identical corner shorts. It comes bundled with George Schindler's booklet Cutting Corners. It may no longer be in production, but several dealers still carry it.
TH10111
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of TH10111
Thank you everyone for the positive comments.

Ironjim, I am using basic corner rounders from arts and crafts shops; they aren't too expensive and will give you a consistent cut with very little effort.

Mike, I'm not a performer, so I haven't had any problems with spectators spotting the work... Likely due to a lack of spectators.

Poof-Daddy I have also experimented with scalloped cards, and used a template to try and get a consistent shape. I videoed some of the procedures I used here: https://th10111.wordpress.com/2017/01/08......ruction/
I look forward to seeing the results of your experiments Smile

Emory, better to be safe than sorry!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I just realized that site was yours. I ordered (and should receive in a few days) the templates you recommended. Smile My results might just be "very" similar to yours in that case. When I first saw the video a few months back, I went to a local hobby shop and they couldn't get those templates locally. Rather than ordering them from overseas (for me) I experimented with using 2 metal rulers and a couple tight clamps. I pushed about a 1/64" bit of the cards edge out from between the two and clamped it tightly. I then used a very sharp exacto blade and notched in at around a 45 degree angle (probably less) at about 1/4" in from the corner on one side and cut straight to middle of card. Then did the same from the other side to complete the cut. (then flip it over and do same to other edge). This left me with "short end scallops" that were only 1/64" deep and the corners were all "original" (the angle I cut gradually gets the depth so it does not look like a "chunk cut out". They work well and I was happy with it but I wanted to try the templates you found so I did order 2 sets (so I can make the 1 template).

If anyone wants to see some pix of what and how I was using as rulers and clamps, PM me your email for pix and a quick explanation of how I did those.

Smile Smile
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
A few things:

First, George Kaplan's applications of the corner short in The Fine Art of Magic are worth your exploration.

Second, the Al Baker scallop short (which has been mentioned) will work on either the ends or the sides. Experimenting with the combination of scalloped sides and riffle shuffling can yield some worthwhile results.

Third, speaking of Al Baker, "Poker Face" (found in Magical Ways and Means) is an example of a scallop short trick with a small pain to glory ratio. (It's also a lot of fun.)

Fourth, the small pair scissors found on Swiss Army Knives is a good tool for scallop shorting cards.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
Just thought I'd say, some of the oldest books have the best work on the corner short. Thanks for sharing TH!

AsL
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I finally got my templates in the mail (from overseas) and went to a hardware store to get some very tiny nuts and bolts to connect them. I see many uses already beyond the fine scallop cut he does on the video as an example. I found a combination for helping make very fine corner shorts as well as a combination that is similar (in use only) to the very nice Card Splitting Jig by Eoin OHare. *** by combinations I am talking about using two sets of the Airwaves AEM025 Radius Scribing Templates, supplied by Hannants.*** You need to put two together of "X" radius with bolts to get different angles. The main template is explained in the blog and shown on the video. https://th10111.wordpress.com/2017/01/08......ruction/

It is a nice blog. I hope it keeps up and continues to expand as there is a lot of good advice for novice gaffers like myself that love to "tinker and explore possibilities". Smile

Smile Smile
Threecard
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny Arizona
141 Posts

Profile of Threecard
The Vernon Chronicles Volume 1 has some great info on corner & scallop shorts.
gismo
View Profile
New user
Germany
60 Posts

Profile of gismo
Https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0076FJ7SS/

That's the best one for the job
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Great post Smile
Zipposrsa
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Zipposrsa
Great resource post by TH10111

I have recently been using a couple of scalloped cards in my deck (using the C-system for a memorised deck) - I actually find the scallop is a much cleaner and user friendly "short". It is not detectable at all and suits the way I riffle cards (in the centre not the edge), but a very interesting article - thanks
8 days a week !
Zipposrsa
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Zipposrsa
Correction - I did mean corners not "edge"
8 days a week !
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2018, gismo wrote:
Https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0076FJ7SS/

That's the best one for the job

I agree! Easily obtained by the magician on a budget.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Corner Short (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL