The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Helios - Amazing Light Bulb! (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
A friend recently recommended I pick up "Helios" from Viking Magic. It is a remote control light bulb. I have seen a number of remote control bulbs in the past but this one in my mind beats many past efforts. It is a crystal clear bulb, lights to full intensity, the actual filament in the bulb is what lights up, and the spectator can actually feel the bulb get warm in their hand as they would with a real bulb. The bulb looks 100% normal and can be freely handled by the spectator. The remote is well designed for discreet operation. Honestly not sure how they can produce this level of quality for $149... one of my coolest buys this year!

I understand that this style of bulb is becoming passe but still available in many stores and honestly not hard to come up with a suitable patter line. Looking forward to putting a spooky spin on it for Halloween. They are built in Germany and I am not sure how many Viking has but if it is something you can use I do not think you will be disappointed.

https://www.vikingmagic.com/product/helios/

Cheers,

John
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2481 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
You can hardly ever go wrong with just about any of Viking/CW products. Their stuff is really top quality and in my mind up there in the top 3 or 4 "unique items" magic dealers.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
John, thanks for the heads up on this. Sounds pretty cool. Might be a nice item to put in my magic display at home.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Just AWESOME!

Thank you for sharing.

Greg
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Great until the spec drops it when it begins to heat up.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2018, pegasus wrote:
Great until the spec drops it when it begins to heat up.

I'm sure you would have better audience management than that Pegasus.
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1484 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
There’s no one that wouldn’t think it’s just a battery!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Sometimes things are wasted on those who can't see further than their own nose...
I've asked to be banned
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1986 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
While it might look cool

I am not sure this would fool anyone in this day and age
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1484 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2018, IAIN wrote:
Sometimes things are wasted on those who can't see further than their own nose...

Yep and some magicians are only fooling themselves it maybe a nice expensive version but they’ve been around in joke shops for decades
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Only sharing what I think is cool guys. To see this totally examinable crystal clear bulb light up in a spectator's hands to full intensity is very cool for you and the spectator and a quick test last night confirmed for me it will get the reaction I want.

I will be using it at a speaking engagement in a couple of weeks to illustrate a point and it will be perfect for that.

This weekend have a little idea I will be trying. Over my dining room table I have a pendant light. I will be putting the Helios bulb in that fixture (obviously will not be switching on the power!). During the meal conversation with guests will turn to home technology. At that point will say "Alexa please turn on the dining room light"... Light will come on (via remote and trust me it lights up fully like a normal bulb). "Alexa turn off the dinning room light"... light turns off. At this point I will stand up and unscrew the bulb and have a guest hold it. "This is where technology gets weird... Alexa turn on the dining room light"... bulb lights up in their hand fully. You get the idea Smile

If you have some imagination this is an incredible prop, I have a bunch of ideas on ways to use this.

Cheers,

John
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2018, J M Talbot wrote:

This weekend have a little idea I will be trying. Over my dining room table I have a pendant light. I will be putting the Helios bulb in that fixture (obviously will not be switching on the power!). During the meal conversation with guests will turn to home technology. At that point will say "Alexa please turn on the dining room light"... Light will come on (via remote and trust me it lights up fully like a normal bulb). "Alexa turn off the dinning room light"... light turns off. At this point I will stand up and unscrew the bulb and have a guest hold it. "This is where technology gets weird... Alexa turn on the dining room light"... bulb lights up in their hand fully. You get the idea Smile

Perfect and wonderful presentation and routine. Love your presentation ideas. As I see it, this outstanding presentation idea can be a perfect advertisement for Alexa - Alexa can turn ON or OFF any thing any time any place any where! Smile Thank you so much for sharing.

Quote:
On Oct 5, 2018, J M Talbot wrote:

If you have some imagination this is an incredible prop, I have a bunch of ideas on ways to use this.

If you can, please do share your wonderful ideas.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Thanks Ustaad, I think you would have some fun with this as well Smile
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Sure, I will be getting this Light Bulb. Your presentation idea has converted this normal looking Light Bulb into a very practical & useful prop. Thanks again John!

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2018, cardbiker wrote:
Quote:

Yep and some magicians are only fooling themselves it maybe a nice expensive version but they’ve been around in joke shops for decades

Yeah, where you have to be in contact with... So apart from being a light bulb, that's it...
I've asked to be banned
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1484 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, where you have to be in contact with... So apart from being a light bulb, that's it...

Sorry Iain I didn’t realise you lived in some deprived area where remotes haven’t been invented yet
If you want to believe your spectators think you did it with the power of your mind carry on but they’re thinking batteries really
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Very cool John, love the Alexa idea.
Now you got me thinking that this bulb won't just live in my display case after all.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I will be using it in a presentation to illustrate a point on the pace of change... it took me 30 minutes to come up with 5 cool ideas on how to use this... none of which imply I am using the power of my mind Smile ... for those like me that like to brainstorm with props it is beautifully made prop at a very fair price.

Cheers,

John
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
GREAT idea, John! Thanks!!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
If you want to believe your spectators think you did it with the power of your mind carry on but they’re thinking batteries really

Exactly...people know what kind/style of bulb can be controlled remotely.

I'm sorry you live somewhere full of dumb people who think an old glass light bulb looks, feels and can be controlled just like an led one...

I'm guessing Dagenham...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Helios - Amazing Light Bulb! (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL