The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » FACE OFF by Ron Salamangkero @Ellusionist (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
Who are you to interrogate me?
Dannyflek
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Dannyflek
A policeman lol Smile
keilunmagic
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of keilunmagic
It is quite different from Revive. Usually I don't do both to the same people. I have to admit that it is not mentioned in the download, but I've found this an excellent variation to Anniversary Waltz. Try making the gimmick with Queen&King, change a little bit your patter and you've got at least one woman crying Smile
deanr201
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of deanr201
I'm sure at the very start of the video he says his take on the Anniversary waltz and torn and restored plot.

I just performed this at A friends wedding on Monday and you really can make it memorable! King/Queen idea is also a good one though!
mantel
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2018, mantel wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2018, GeraintClarke wrote:

I can respect what you're saying, but nobody has been ripped off here. Bennie either independently created it and didn't publish it before Ron, or he saw Ron do it.

- G

It's not like Ellusionist ripped off anyone else before. Oh wait...!

Now Bennie's trying to steal Face Off's thunder as Siamese Waltz is now on the market as well.
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2018, mantel wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can respect what you're saying, but nobody has been ripped off here. Bennie either independently created it and didn't publish it before Ron, or he saw Ron do it.

- G

Now Bennie's trying to steal Face Off's thunder as Siamese Waltz is now on the market as well.

C'mon, Bennie's release must have been in the works for months. No way they could have rushed that to market in a week. Not with physical gimmicks included. No way.
Dannyflek
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Dannyflek
Bennies was around years before face off , that’s the original imo and the best Smile
stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stookie31
Incredibly easy to make (3 mins per card max)
Following instructions fully (lloyds sreamlined are best) - the gimmick at the end looks very good
Handling taught is not difficult and every move used makes sense, really well thought out.

Well worth the money

10/10

footenote:
but I do prefer revive, the gimmick is more magical at the end especially using two different cards and I like the comedy value/extra layer in the staples
Agaton
View Profile
Loyal user
Manila
299 Posts

Profile of Agaton
Ron Mariano is very much respected in our community. He's been performing magic professionally for many many years and has contributed a lot. Most of his creations are not even released yet! Most of them are only circulated within the magic groups in Manila. It's good to see Lloyd and Geraint took the time to shoot this in Manila when they visited a while back.

Highly recommend this. Hope you fully support this if you want to see more from him!
mantel
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2018, scott0819 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- G

C'mon, Bennie's release must have been in the works for months. No way they could have rushed that to market in a week. Not with physical gimmicks included. No way.

Well considering Siamese Waltz is already "Out of Stock", it is possible.
mantel
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2018, mantel wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2018, scott0819 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- G

Well considering Siamese Waltz is already "Out of Stock", it is possible.

Im pretty sure it was rushed to market as now Penguin Magic is now accepting pre-orders for Siamese Waltz. "This product is expected to ship on November 26th. You may reserve a copy now and it will ship to you when it arrives."
fcchief1
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
Mantel states "Im pretty sure it was rushed to market as now Penguin Magic is now accepting pre-orders for Siamese Waltz." Do you have both and intimate knowledge that this was rushed to market or just a prsumption on your part??
Bennie's has been performing Siamese Waltzfor some time now. The fact that he handmade the gaffs (which would take some time to make!) and they sold so fast is the reason he sold out. So there is no way he "rushed" this to market to compete with Face Off. I have both and even Ryan in the video states "The first time I saw this was 3 years ago" SO they both could of independently thought of similar tricks with similar methods. Would not be the first time this happened. Don't accuse unless you can prove with factual evidence Bennie ripped it off and put his own version out.
Dannyflek
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Dannyflek
Absolutely right this has been around as an unmarketed effect for a good few years , so if you can’t wait just make some gaffs yourself Smile
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
So at one of my residences on Thursday, I took this out for the first time. This is my first hand account of actually woking with this in the real world.

Firstly, I am quite good at making gimmicks anyway. Not the best by any means but I can pick most things up. With the Steam-lined version, I had gimmicks down to about 3 minutes after practicing about 5 times. They are fairly easy to make and after you get the p***ing of the card sorted, that's most of the hard work done! If you can already do that, you are set!

I wanted to develop a full routine for this so I spent an hour or so playing with different handlings. The effect is great but I wanted to subtly add in that the cards are truly separate and I also wanted to eliminate any use of dups. So my handing now does just that. I put the Face-off card into the deck and I'm set. No set up required. It allows me to have the cards signed, show the separate with pretty much no sleight of hand or awkward movements and sets up the end of the effect beautifully.

The reactions were absolutely phenomenal. I performed it 14 times (I like to intensively work a routine when I start with a new one) and from group 1, I got a round of applause without needing to do anything. I did alter patter and timings as I went along but by the end I had a pretty solid working routine. Every table asked if they could keep the cards which was lovely because they can. Some issues I encountered (because there are always some) Make sure they draw big all over the card. If the signature doesn't make it to the other side of the card, is does weaken the reactions somewhat. It's still cool but it allowed a moment of doubt as to the validity of that half of the card. I realise, as magicians, that's nonsensical but to a layperson, any tiny thing that doesn't seem right they assume is apart of the method.

Now, for some of the fears I had. What if they closely examine the card? Well, for those who are scared, I'm sorry to say, everyone closely examined the cards as in... everyone. They got passed around the table and when I left, they carried on playing with them. Then, they were put into handbags and wallets and taken home. At no point did anyone question them. I guess, no one knowns what a torn and restored card SHOULD look like so why would they question it. Equally, no one knows the structure of a card so why would they question anything. The last thing I would say is, if you make the gimmicks well, the 'restored' part on the front that might be a concern, just looks like a fold. It doesn't look much different to the back and even then... they're not looking for what we would look for. The final thing id say about it is, at no tables did any 1 person take both cards home. Two different people took them. So that helps with backtrack again. One of the staff followed me around specifically to see this trick. He saw me do it about 4 times and each time was blown away even more. He took one of the halves and started peeling the face of it off. His reply.. "But theres nothing here, it's just a card? How did this happen?" That was the final thing I needed to give me complete confidence with it. You may get the odd person who might have an inkling how its done but I think they'll be in the minority and that happens with every trick!

Those who follow me on facebook and insta, I posted a video of me performing Face-off, that a member of staff was streaming to their facebook. The clip of Facebook is longer but you'll still see the reactions on the insta version too. @ jamie.daws.magic

For me, this will now be something I use often and probably for a while. The reactions are great its inexpensive to produce and leaves them with an incredible story. The gimmicks will take time, but itll get easier with practice.

Definitely a new favourite of mine and the reactions speak for themselves!

Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
mantel
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2018, fcchief1 wrote:
So I have both and even "The first time I saw this was 3 years ago" SO they both could of independently thought of similar tricks with similar methods. Would not be the first time this happened. Don't accuse unless you can prove with factual evidence Bennie ripped it off and put his own version out.

It's an unfortunate coincidence then that these tricks that are nearly the same have been released at the exact same time.

You've got it backwards, I wasn't accusing Bennie of ripping it off. Ryan Schultz was accusing Ron Salamangkero of ripping off Bennie's trick.

Quote:
On Oct 17, 2018, RSchlutz wrote:
Well this seems like a ripoff of my friend Bennie Chickering Trick he showed around underground years ago.

Ryan
Silverstar
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of Silverstar
So what's the best one to purchase. Face Off, Revive or both?
deanr201
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of deanr201
Already owning face off I caved and headed to penguin and purchased Siamese Waltz While I havent received my gimmicks yet (I think its like a month wait!)
I have watched the videos provided as I Was mainly interested in the construction of the gimmick to see how it stacked up against face-off, rather than the pre made gimmicks.

Both effects are extremely extremely similar, although seeing how both constructed their gimmicks and using little tips from both has lead me to being able to make much cleaner gimmicks all round.

I think both need a great credit, regardless of who's came first (something I'm not prepared to get into an argument about as its not my place as I'm only a consumer of the products)

What I do know is I am happy with both my purchase's but I would of been equally as happy only owning one of them.

As for Revive, still really pleased I purchased that although its the same plot (TnR) I feel it has its own place.
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
596 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Looks like Blake Vogt re-released his version of this plot. https://blake-vogt.myshopify.com/products/fuzion
Dannyflek
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Dannyflek
Surely this is exactly the same too . I have and love regeneration and fuzion is surely just a whole card version of that Smile
Cartelli
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of Cartelli
Is the effect (and the routines) for "FACE OFF" and "SIAMESE WALTZ" the same (except the horizontal/vertical tear).
Are there differences in making the gimmicks?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » FACE OFF by Ron Salamangkero @Ellusionist (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL