The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Mind Thief - Chris Philpott (a Magic Portal review) (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
503 Posts

Profile of canaday
Mind Thief - Chris Philpott
$39.00
http://www.magicaonline.com/mind_thief.htm

The Hyoe:
A spectator thinks of one of any one of over 30 valuable objects: a Rolex watch, a sapphire necklace, a Louis Vuitton Skateboard, or a winning lottery ticket: it is a truly free choice, nothing is ever written down and no questions are asked.

The performer asks the spectator to imagine he has this valuable object and he has to get it home and hide it. But someone is trying to steal it from him. The performer shows him pictures in a spiral-bound book with options to get home and hide the object: on wide thoroughfares or narrow alleys, entering his home from the front door or back, hiding it in the bedroom of basement. The spectator reveals none of his choices.

The performer then explains this has all been a con. The valuable object is the thought the spectator holds in his mind; the thief is the magician, trying to steal that thought; and the imagination game of how the spectator gets home and hides it tells the magician everything he needs to know about how he would try to hide the thought. The performer then tells the spectator not only what the valuable object is, but where in his house he's hidden it.

Mind Thief is an effect I've been working on for over five years. It includes a combination of methods and strategies in a way that maximizes the emotional, dramatic and fooling power of the effect. It also includes a number of variations that I've explored along the way. And as with many of my effects, the newness of the methods often generates other new ideas. So I encourage everyone to send me any feedback on this effect and anyone who buys this pre-release version of Mind Thief will get an email update with the new ideas people send in.

Includes an instructional video, presentation book, and extra jpeg artworks.

My Take:
Very few things put a bigger smile on my face than finding a new effect from Chris Philpott in my mailbox. I have never been disappointed and wasn't this time.

If you are not familiar with his previous works, his 100th Monkey principle absolutely destroyed the judges a while back on America's Got Talent when he convinced Howie Mandel that he had lost the ability to read. Chris is known for his creative and just fun to perform magic. He is also a professional screen writer so the writing is impeccable.

With Mind Thief, you get a beautiful spiral bound book and a link to a dropbox which includes not only the instructions, but the script, a cheat sheet and the files to print up a copy cued to the lighting conditions. This was also used in 100th Monkey but is used in a different way this time. The book provided is a real work of art. Each page features a full color illustration. (I hesitate to think what he had to pay to have these illustrations done).

The basic method will seem familiar but it has been entirely re-engineered for this performance. The workings will be done easier by some people than others. (That is all I can say without tipping too much. But the ones who purchase this will understand what I say).

There are zero sleights involved in the performance so you can concentrate 100% on presentation. The script gives you a story that goes along with the performance but if you have any storytelling skills at all, you can turn this into a showpiece. Chris offers a dual reality theme if you are doing a room but this works just as well as a closeup routine. There is absolutely no clue how you know what you do and yet, you do. The illustrations are beautifully done and remind me of the scenes you see in a lot of Hidden Object computer games.

Although I suggest working with the prop a day or so before performing it, the actual mechanics couldn't be simpler. Chris says he worked on this for five years and considering the visual quality of the book, that is quite believable. The method is absolutely brilliant.

In case you hadn't guessed, this one gets my highest recommendation. I love the looks, the method, and the effect. I have seen many mentalism effects not nearly as well done going for a list price of quite a bit more.This is easy enough for a beginner and strong enough for a pro. Just make sure you can give it the proper presentation to make it a miracle. Buy it!

Thanks, Chris. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.
Alex McFly
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Alex McFly
Hi canaday, thank you very much for your great review!
I know Chris work from the Oscar Prediction and the Penguin Live Lecture.
Find his ideas very creative and thoughtful.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Purcashed many of Chris Philpott's releases.
100th Monkey is brilliant, religions have been started in my name because of it.
Admitted it takes audience management, there are a few people who it doesn't work for at all, usually can't be done with older audience members and doesn't work for large stage shows without monitors (and that can be tricky).
I've been a bit disappointed with everything after 100th Monkey (including the Holiday release). In fact I don't use any of the other releases (haven't dedicated the time to Pantheon). This may be in part becasue I can't seem to find the same quality print that the pre-made cards with 100th Monkey have. Other things like the size of the jpg (large in size and come at 72 DPI, printers request 125 to 300 DPI)

That said, how does Mind Thief compare? Is everything based on the 100th Monkey principle?
Hard to tell from the promo trailer.

Thank you
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
503 Posts

Profile of canaday
Has nothing to do with 100th MOnkey. Totally different and the print job is gorgeous.
hektormagic
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of hektormagic
From the provided materials can a small size booklet to be printed and used as a pocket version? Is the size matter? I really prefer pocket size.
Creator of Mental Card, Mystery Calendar, Houdini Spirit Board
Find more on my website: http://hektormagic.com/products
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2055 Posts

Profile of aligator
Is dual reality again a major part of this trick?
hektormagic
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of hektormagic
Can be presented in other language instead of english? And can be printed in pocket size from the provided materials?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11484 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2018, aligator wrote:
Is dual reality again a major part of this trick?

Says....
Chris offers a dual reality theme if you are doing a room but this works just as well as a closeup routine.

I purchased it. Should have it soon.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2055 Posts

Profile of aligator
Hope that you will post a review John C.
rasp
View Profile
Special user
1000 Posts

Profile of rasp
Is there a supplier in the UK selling this?
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
2999 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I wonder if this is somewhat repeatable? If you are strolling and others see you perform it more than once will it give it away?
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2055 Posts

Profile of aligator
Do you need to print up your own files in addition to what is provided in the book?
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2055 Posts

Profile of aligator
How many pages in the book?
hektormagic
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of hektormagic
Only questions but no answers Smile Looks no sellers here to explain. Should wait some reviews...
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2055 Posts

Profile of aligator
I agree....more answers are required. Another queston that has occurred to me: Can this be performed just with the book provided? Are the additional files necessary or simply for customization.
hektormagic
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of hektormagic
I believe it is only with the book, the additional materials are for customisations (same like his other products).
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
Hey guys --

Just found out about this thread -- let me try to answer questions...

But first, thanks for the kind and thoughtful review, Canaday! Much appreciated.

The text you quoted was from a pre-release I did for my customer list -- there are some changes when this went into wide release a couple days ago -- for example, there is no Louis Vuitton Skateboard in this -- while such a thing actually exists (and amuses me no end) it was just a little too long to fit neatly on the page. I'll copy the newer ad text below.

Thank you Alex and Vick! Vick, you should totally be able to get images that are every bit as good -- even better -- than the postcards I include. Every jpeg on every DVD is actually a larger file than those I use to get the postcards made. I just get them printed at Staples (though I often print them at home). If someone says, "It's only 72 dpi", don't believe them -- the only thing that matters is the number of pixils in the original image and the size of the final output. The forcing posters on Pantheon are positively huge -- 7500 by 5000 pixils -- and the resolution is fantastic. I know that collection is big but it's worth exploring -- it got the best reviews I've ever received and is the only dvd I can think of that was featured on Penn and Teller: Fool Us twice.

This is not a 100th Monkey effect, but it makes use of some of the ideas from those releases.

Hektor, it could be printed in a smaller size. I provide files so that would be possible. I'd use the version tailored specifically for close up -- pm me if that's not clear enough.

Aligator, DR is optional with this effect. Obviously, not something you'd do when performing this close up, but in the trailer I did use the DR scripting and no one was ever the wiser -- it's clear and engaging. It's a very strong effect close up, but I think DR is an incredibly powerful tool so why not use it when the situation allows?

rasp, I'm not sure who's selling this in the UK. I sell it off my website, but charge $15 for shipping to Europe so you might be better off waiting until it arrives there in bulk.

rowdymagi5, this is totally repeatable. As you can see at the end of the trailer, everyone has chosen something different -- there are no f**ces. The only reason you might not want to do it for the same crowd twice is that because of the story, it takes a few minutes to perform this, so pacing could be an issue. I've recently been toying with having two people do this at the same time -- because I provide two alternative ways of, well, um, getting er done, you could use one on one spectator and one on the other -- they could choose two different items and you'd name them both! Since I just thought of it, I don't go into this in the video -- perhaps I'll start a FB group to share ideas like this.

Aligator, you don't need to print up any extra files -- use the book provided and you're good to go for both stage and close up. I just like to give people options. For example, there's a variation where you tell the spectator not only what he took, which room he hid it in his house, but actually where in the room he hid it. That's pretty much for stage only so I didn't make a big deal of it in the ad copy.

There are 14 pages in the book, including the cover. And when I say 14 that means 7 double sided pieces of paper.

Feel free to post more questions. And now here's the newer ad copy:

"Stunning!" "Spectacular!" "Brilliant method!"

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-es9_XoX58

"This effect is just outstanding! I really love Mind Thief, and I will do it close up. Thanks for putting this out. It is going to be so much fun to do." - Ethan Nessen

"Have to say, Mind Thief is really stunning, very clever. I’m really enjoying it. Thank you for releasing this brilliant effect." - Garry Hadley

Mind Thief is a fun game of imagination, with a plot twist that turns it into a powerful piece of mind reading. A spectator thinks of one of any one of over 30 valuable objects: a platinum Rolex, a Prada necklace, Gucci Shoes, or a million dollars: it is a truly free choice, nothing is ever written down and no questions are asked.

The spectator imagines he has to get this valuable object home and hide it - but someone is trying to steal it from him! The performer shows him pictures and words in a spiral-bound book with options to get home and hide the object: on wide thoroughfares or narrow alleys, entering his home from the front door or back, hiding it in the bedroom of basement. The spectator never tells the performer his choices.

The performer then explains this has all been a con job: the real valuable object is the thought in the spectator's mind, the thief is the magician, trying to steal that thought; and the imagination game told the magician everything he needs to know about how the spectator thinks: for example, his choice of whether to go home on a wide street versus a narrow alley reveals how comfortable they would be sneaking this object home through a crowd and helps the performer interpret their body language. The performer then tells the spectator not only what the valuable object is, but where in his house he's hidden it.

Mind Thief is an effect I've been working on for over five years. It includes a combination of methods and strategies in a way that maximizes the emotional, dramatic and fooling power of the effect. It also includes a number of variations that I've explored along the way. And the Mind Thief method is applicable to other presentations you can make yourself - you can do it with names of people you know and character traits, or superheroes and their powers - there are unlimited possibilities!

Mind Thief can be performed both close up and on stage - it can be performed the same way in both situations but there are subtleties and variations that make use of the special features of both situations.

"I just got Mind Thief. Wow! Truly amazing. The incredible amount of thought and care you put into the effect and its production are evident. Also, 'packs flat and plays big' is always a plus. Thanks for creating a spectacular effect." - Sam Downing

"There is so much amazing flexibility within this intelligent effect. I found myself happily inspired. I ended up creating my own customized application of Mind Thief that dovetails well into both my table hopping and stage show." - Doug Sparkes

"Mind Thief is great - never doubted it would be. I really enjoyed the instructions. The quality of the prop is up to the high standards of all of your products. It's especially nice that you provide PDFs to customize Mind Thief." - Shad Schroeder

"Received Mind Thief yesterday. Absolutely love it! It will be going into the act as soon as possible. Nicely produced prop and brilliant method." - Alan Kennedy

Includes a presentation book, an instructional video and extra jpeg artworks.

$39 + shipping.
Ypnoze
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of Ypnoze
This looks really cool as all Chris's releases 😉

Is it language restricted, can we do it in other languages?
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2055 Posts

Profile of aligator
Thanks for all the info Chris. I am definitely intrigued by this but in the interest of due diligence will wait for some reviews from those who have recently purchased it. I can't order immediately anyway due to delays in the postal system here but perhaps may do so by January.
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
503 Posts

Profile of canaday
Aligator,
YOu will love it and I know gaters. I live in Florida.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Mind Thief - Chris Philpott (a Magic Portal review) (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL