The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Gripper Coins by Rocco (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
StreetWitch
View Profile
New user
Dayton, Ohio
64 Posts

Profile of StreetWitch
I picked up the Gripper Coin after waiting months for the release. Having studied Rocco's work before hand I was excited to get it. Nothing Rocco does is less than amazing. Rocco is one of the best coin manipulators in the world. His work "The Magic of Rocco Coin Manipulation", is probably my favorite DVD on coins.

What I want to share with the magic community is that I was instantly able to classic palm, and classic palm vanish these coins with my left hand as soon as I got them. And after practicing for a few days, I am successfully classic palming without them! The Gripper Coin is opening new worlds for me in my coin magic.

If you haven't already, check out the Gripper Coin on Penguin here: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11045
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
151 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
I got them on Monday.
They work pretty good.
On the download instructions. . . Rocco seems as happy as an 8 year old in a candy store !
Rocco says that HE can now do some tricks that he has NOT been able to do before.
Video alone is worth about the price of the coins.
Things that used to be sooo difficult are now easy. Controlling these coins are made much easier.
The coins build confidence in that the performer is not afraid to do certain effects, when the handling used to be 50-50 that
you'd drop or lose control of the coin. Now, the coin is in control.
Next, I'd like to see them with a steel shim inside.
Lots of new possibilities coming out of these.
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
151 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
A funny thing to see. . . on the instructional video . .. Rocco trying to talk with a half dollar coin in his mouth.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Got my set of four today. Initial impressions:

They work exactly as advertised. If you have dry skin like me you will be able to palm these with no need to apply lotion etc. Unless you have dry skin I don't think these will be of any use to you. They are not substitutes for sleight of hand.

The video teaches some nice moves. Rocco does do one thing that I hate about instructional videos. He constantly tries to sell you on the coin you have already bought.

I think you can see it if you really look but I'm not sure a spectator would see it. My vision is not great so I'd like to hear other opinions on this.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
587 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Those who have the coins: How durable do you think the coins are? Do you think they will "grip" for quite a while?
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
151 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2018, Motor City wrote:
Those who have the coins: How durable do you think the coins are? Do you think they will "grip" for quite a while?

----------------------

Durable = Yes.
The silicone-gripper part is replaceable (if cut or broken) and replacements will be available soon.
The video instructions include ways to clean and "freshen" the gripper area.
I don't see them ever "wearing out." . . . . for both of those reasons.
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
587 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2018, Doctor Zolar wrote:

Durable = Yes.
The silicone-gripper part is replaceable (if cut or broken) and replacements will be available soon.
The video instructions include ways to clean and "freshen" the gripper area.
I don't see them ever "wearing out." . . . . for both of those reasons.

Doctor Zolar, Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I wonder how that will work. Do you have a serial number with a set or a way to register that you bought them? or, will anyone just be able to buy inexpensive refills and make their own eventually?
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
151 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I wonder how that will work. Do you have a serial number with a set or a way to register that you bought them? or, will anyone just be able to buy inexpensive refills and make their own eventually?

--------------

yeah . . if you have a jewelers lathe or a $10-$20,000 machine shop lathe or a $50,000 precise cutting laser.
Plus buying the bands.

(For $10,000 I could make my own cigarette thru quarter.)

(you can't do this at home.)
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
151 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
I just bought my 2nd set of the Gripper Coins.

(As I get "older", I can hang onto these.)
KeithP
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of KeithP
Can anyone compare this coin with the late "Magician's Coin" crosshatch edge?
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
That's a good question... I remember a while back that when craftsman/magician, John Jurney (maker of Coin Coalition Triple Split Coins) first came on the scene, he offered Chinese coins that had a unique crosshatch milling to them that made it really easy to palm. It actually worked quite well, and I carry one with me to this day. Smile Wonder how these new "Grippers" measure up?
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
StreetWitch
View Profile
New user
Dayton, Ohio
64 Posts

Profile of StreetWitch
I don't' see them on penguin yet, but I just heard Rocco is offering Dollar size coins. I prefer dollar size in my performance, so this is awesome!.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Can anyone who has these tell me if they can be used close Up. My vision is not great so I need some advice on how freely you can handle them and can I put it in the specs hand?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
151 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2018, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Can anyone who has these tell me if they can be used close Up. My vision is not great so I need some advice on how freely you can handle them and can I put it in the specs hand?

-------------------------

I have 2 sets now. . . .
And . . I have to be careful not to mix them up with my regular half's
and I KNOW what to look for.
Since NORMAL half's have multi-colored edges ( CLAD: silver-copper-silver ) the edges of the Gripper Coins look about the same.
( I do not know about the other coins or what the Silver Dollars would look like.)

I've put a Gripper Coin in another's hands that didn't know . . . and they could not see any apparent difference just by normal LOOKING at it.
You'd REALLY have to know coins in general to see what was going on.

I don't normally hand ANY gaffed coin to a Muggle as I don't want it accidentally dropped and ruined !

(They have NO IDEA how expensive gaffed coins are and most can be ruined by dropping on a hard or concrete floor.)
(In a nose-pinched-female-California-ValleyGirl-nasal voice: "It's only 50 cents . . right ?")
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
151 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
Do any of you use Sort Kwik on your fingers (pink in a round container at Office Supply stores)
for better (non-slip) contact with coins ?
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2018, Doctor Zolar wrote:
Do any of you use Sort Kwik on your fingers (pink in a round container at Office Supply stores)

I have not. However I do have a virtually unused container of Octopalm tho. 🙂
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Thank you Doctor Zolar. That's great news.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Griff
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
285 Posts

Profile of Griff
I have used Sort Kwik for years for cards and coins. I now use O'Keeffe's Working Hands hand cream. It lasts longer but you do have to work it in good for a couple of minutes first. I also use violin rosin on my coin edges...works great and lasts awhile.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2018, Doctor Zolar wrote:

I use it at times but mostly on my thumb if I am going to run a bunch of cards or work with paper money. This is sort of a subject that comes up a lot with both cards and coins. EVERYBODY is different. I have a serious problem in that my hands (untreated) are too dry for a lot of card stuff yet too moist for a lot of coin work.

MY FIX (not everyone's) is to grind up violin rosin with a mortar and pestle into a fine powder and dust it on my palms. This makes my CP almost "magnetic". I spray Chamberlain's Golden Touch on my fingers and can OHTP like a pro.

As for regular use, I use O'Keeffe's Working Hands after a good hand washing to start the day and before bed. I do not find it useful in helping me with one or the other (cards / coins) but it really helps the look and feel of my general hand skin conditioning. The rosin and spray are both temporary fixes.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Gripper Coins by Rocco (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL