The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Trabucco Holdout (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-09-05 18:28, Frank L. wrote:
I agree with you, MagicChris. I really felt misled by the advertising. The ability to vanish things at the fingertips and with a puff of smoke was very misrepresented, IMHO. Had they not made such statements, I would have felt a lot better about my purchase.

That's not to say this holdout is a bad product... but truth in advertising would have led me to trust the company on furture purchases. Now, I'll be very cautious before buying any "exclusive" products from them.

-- Frank

No online video, either. If there was, you would have not seen coins vanishing at the fingertips.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Paul Richards
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of Paul Richards
There’s no video because I felt there was no way to capture the authentic live experience of the device in use. I use the device on a regular basis and I can honestly say that real people believe that the coin has vanished at my fingertips. That’s what almost any good vanish should “feel” like to a spectator…but the Holdout leaves you clean at the conclusion.

I'll be the first to admit that I do not do a lot of posting on the Café. I run a business with several different facets, have a wife and child to care for, and have interests outside of magic. I'm also in the process of renovating a house that is almost 100 years old! Frankly, when I see someone with hundreds or THOUSANDS of posts I am always amazed that they have that kind of time. More power to them….

Let me take a moment to address a few of the previous posts:

Is anyone here unclear about MagicChris's feelings about the Trabucco Holdout? He didn't like it! In fact he feels the need to add his comments almost EVERY time someone makes any post about it.

As for misleading advertising, I disagree. The spirit of the ad was to promote how clean you are as a performer before, during, and after many routines. Linking rings are not "metal melting through metal", a money-maker does not "make paper change into money", and the cigarette doesn't really "penetrate through the quarter". My point is that magic ads are designed to convey the appearance of effects to the audience. I believe I'm safe in saying that anyone who knows me or has done business with us will attest to the fact that I ALWAYS try to be as open and forthcoming as possible. Properly used, the Trabucco Holdout allows you to create every effect we list in the ad. Nothing is self-working however; I assumed a competent magician would understand that. Any holdout is a tool that can make your effects look more magical, not a replacement for skill.

As for MagicChris's REPEATED rehashing of the 3AM Spellbound Coin…I explained already why we held back the release of the component items and all of them have been available since a little over a month after our first release of the Holdout. You may not have agreed with why we held the component items back for a short while and that's your prerogative…but that's what we did and I stand by my reasoning. Regardless, the items are ALL available now and have been for MONTHS.

Finally, we have sold and continue to sell the Trabucco Holdout to a wide range of magicians, from those that work in virtual anonymity to some of magic's most well known names. The VAST MAJORITY have had VERY positive response to the device. No one is forcing anyone to buy the device, but those of you who value the opinion of people like Bill Malone, Charlie Reynolds, Steve Bargatze, Tom Gagnon, Paul Gertner, Mike Powers, Paul Cummins, and Larry Becker (just to name a few!), may want to investigate the Trabucco Holdout further.

Best,
Paul Richards
Elmwood Magic
Jim Stan Magic Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago Area
239 Posts

Profile of Jim Stan Magic Man
I agree with Paul. Not everything is for everyone. Those of us who have purchased the TH have a new 'weapon' in our arsenal. I believe this to be a great addition to my act. You really need to 'read between the lines' with some magic offerings. We have all seen a lot of 'junk' advertised that is nothing like what the ads state. I read the magazines on the TH and knew that this was something that would fit my style. I purchased mine from Paul at the 2004 IBM convention. Paul was very helpful in demonstrating the possibilites and answering all of my questions.
Paul, thanks for putting out such a great product!
regards,
Jim
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2885 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
If your spectators see you take a coin from your right hand into your left hand and then they see that the right hand is totally empty, they have no doubt that the coin is in the left hand. Slydini used to use the bold subterfuge of holding up nothing at his finger tips and saying "Whacha da coin" (Slydini talk for "watch the coin."). There was nothing there but people would swear they saw it there. The illusion that the coin vanished from the fingertips is strengthened by the fact that the other hand is utterly empty due to the holdout...

Mike
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
727 Posts

Profile of ftlum
I still feel somewhat misled.

If you do a retention pass and drop the coin in a servante hanging off the table, would you advertise the servant as being able to vanish items at your fingertips?

Or how about this: you do a spellbound move and ditch the other coin in the servante. Would you advertize the servante as being able to change the color of coins at your fingetips?

No, this type of advertising is not accurate. In my opinion, when I read about a gimmick, the description should be about what the gimmick immediately accomplishes; it should not emphasize an unrelated sleight of hand move that occurs earlier.

For instance, a better advertisment of the servante might be one that emphasizes that you can end clean.

BTW, as I mentioned earlier, I do have a positive opinion about the holdout. I simply disagree with a few bits in the advertising which (unfortunately) had a heavy influence on me when I purchased it. Caveat emptor.

-- Frank
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-09-11 12:50, Paul Richards wrote:
There’s no video because I felt there was no way to capture the authentic live experience of the device in use. I use the device on a regular basis and I can honestly say that real people believe that the coin has vanished at my fingertips. That’s what almost any good vanish should “feel” like to a spectator…but the Holdout leaves you clean at the conclusion.

I'll be the first to admit that I do not do a lot of posting on the Café. I run a business with several different facets, have a wife and child to care for, and have interests outside of magic. I'm also in the process of renovating a house that is almost 100 years old! Frankly, when I see someone with hundreds or THOUSANDS of posts I am always amazed that they have that kind of time. More power to them….

Let me take a moment to address a few of the previous posts:

Is anyone here unclear about MagicChris's feelings about the Trabucco Holdout? He didn't like it! In fact he feels the need to add his comments almost EVERY time someone makes any post about it.

As for misleading advertising, I disagree. The spirit of the ad was to promote how clean you are as a performer before, during, and after many routines. Linking rings are not "metal melting through metal", a money-maker does not "make paper change into money", and the cigarette doesn't really "penetrate through the quarter". My point is that magic ads are designed to convey the appearance of effects to the audience. I believe I'm safe in saying that anyone who knows me or has done business with us will attest to the fact that I ALWAYS try to be as open and forthcoming as possible. Properly used, the Trabucco Holdout allows you to create every effect we list in the ad. Nothing is self-working however; I assumed a competent magician would understand that. Any holdout is a tool that can make your effects look more magical, not a replacement for skill.

As for MagicChris's REPEATED rehashing of the 3AM Spellbound Coin…I explained already why we held back the release of the component items and all of them have been available since a little over a month after our first release of the Holdout. You may not have agreed with why we held the component items back for a short while and that's your prerogative…but that's what we did and I stand by my reasoning. Regardless, the items are ALL available now and have been for MONTHS.

Finally, we have sold and continue to sell the Trabucco Holdout to a wide range of magicians, from those that work in virtual anonymity to some of magic's most well known names. The VAST MAJORITY have had VERY positive response to the device. No one is forcing anyone to buy the device, but those of you who value the opinion of people like Bill Malone, Charlie Reynolds, Steve Bargatze, Tom Gagnon, Paul Gertner, Mike Powers, Paul Cummins, and Larry Becker (just to name a few!), may want to investigate the Trabucco Holdout further.

Best,
Paul Richards
Elmwood Magic

This Café is a gathering place for magicians to share ideas. This section is a review section for members. So, I’m allowed to comment anytime anyone else makes a comment. Start your own message board and you can dictate what your members can do.

BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I was excited about the ads for this item, and when Elmwood was at the IBM, I went right there hoping they had it.

After the demo, I walked away terribly dissapointed. The method was extremely obvious to me. But maybe that is because I have been using that same method in that exact same way for over three years.

BroDavid.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2885 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
The holdout works best in close quarters like a walkaround situation but it can be used in most any circumstances. The basic method may be obvious after the demo but I believe you'll find that there are features of this design that were not at all obvious and that make the prop far more versitile than you might think.

Mike
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-09-12 22:37, BroDavid wrote:
I was excited about the ads for this item, and when Elmwood was at the IBM, I went right there hoping they had it.

After the demo, I walked away terribly dissapointed. The method was extremely obvious to me. But maybe that is because I have been using that same method in that exact same way for over three years.

BroDavid.

Paul doesn't like comments like that.Smile

Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
Well actually, Paul would like it. It seems Brother David must like the hold out if hes been using it for 3 years! Smile
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3967 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I have the TH and use it all the time. Depends on your level of creativity how much you will get out of it. For me, it kills and I think it's a very effective weapon.
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
755 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
I bought the holdout from Paul at a convention in Vegas.He spent a while dicussing the holdout before and after my purchase.
This was not my first encounter with Paul at a convention .I have found him to be honest ,helpful and a good magic demonstrator.
I give Paul my highest compliment.I trust him. Glenn
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3967 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I would agree about Paul. The days of magic dealers being able to demonstrate their products are long gone. I go to the MagiFest every year and Paul and Mark Mason are the only dealers that know how to properly demonstrate their items. It's really sad if you ask me. Bottom line, Paul did a very nice demo of the holdout and it fooled everyone that watched .
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1712 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
The TH is a fantastic utility item. It won't vanish things at your fingertips but you can vanish things at your finger tips and show both hands empty immediately afterwards.

Does a topit enable you to vanish items at your fingertips? Does a topit enable you to make a bottle of wine appear in your hand?

The TH does enable you to do things but it does not do it for you.
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
I'll agree that the ad was misleading, but I love my TH. Much better than the Bat. Much more affordable than the K/F holdout. You can't get a better, more versatile holdout for the money, IMOP.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
All holdouts are not created equal. From the standpoint of versatility, instruction, and multiple other criteria, the F/K holdout is light years ahead of the Trabucco holdout. I have both. That being said, the Trabucco is great and I highly recommend it.
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
534 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
Well, I for one, like to see that there are two side to this discussion. As with any product some will like it and some won't. I like the fact that both sides can state their opinion and why they believe that way. It gives potential buyers much more information. I enjoyed reading the variety although I won't be purchasing this hold-out or the F/K hold out, as I use a topit and a Dan Tong hold out and there's nothing I need something like this for. If it's not broke, don't fix it. I just wanted to say, thanks for keeping it civil.

Joey
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
How does this compare to the Black Widow device?
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3967 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I don't have Black Widow but I do have Trabucco. The main difference is that Trabucco is a stationary holdout meaning that it has no moving parts. To make something appear or vanish, your hand has to come into contact with teh holdout. Given the design, any necessary handmovements are almost invisible. The nice thing about Trabucco is that you have a holdout on both sides and the holdouts are fairly large. So you can use the holdout with either hand and you can have multiple objects on the holdout at the same time.
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Trabucco Holdout (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL