The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ The workers Ľ Ľ Save Vladís magic library (44 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, NY
257 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Vlad is one of the most insightful and sensitive members that I have encountered here. His insights and encouragement have definitely had an effect on me continuing with card magic. I am glad to say that I have made my visit to the Go Fund Me page.
So many sleights...so little time.
Cheers,

Ted
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1174 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Hi Vlad,

We had no contact in the last few years, but you know me.
http://maigret.org/trailer/who.html

Let me first of all say that I feel sorry for you and that I hope that the future may look a lot better for you.

However, some things are not clear to me:
On the GoFundMe site is written that ďyou had to leave very quickly and return to the US, without any of his magical stuff.Ē
In this thread you write in your post: "I am still in the Netherlands" and "I do not know what lies ahead of me when I get home in December".
So I assume that you are still in the Netherlands and that the text on GoFundMe is a little mistake by Rachmaninov (Mathieu Berquet).

That the books would end up on the garbage seems to me just impossible and easy to avoid with some imagination.
You can send the books from the Netherlands to me (Belgium) and then I will keep them safe for you until you have the necessary funds to send them to you in the USA. (no costs for storing them)
Perhaps the initiator (Rachmaninov) can also offer you this service if he has a place to keep the books. He lives in France I suppose.
Post rates from the Netherlands to Belgium and France are the same. (47.5 euros for 30 Kg sent by registered post).

So for the books there is a relatively cheap solution and no danger if you want to. That you need funds for your medication and a small reserve for an uncertain future is very understandable and there is nothing wrong with that. But for the books there are solutions.
(Even if you do not get the funds in the future to have the books sent to the USA later, there are solutions to recover at least a part. The books can be sold by the "safekeeper" on eBay and the proceeds can be transferred to you via Paypal.)

I wish you a lot of courage.
Danny
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
835 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Danny,
Your solution was offered to me by Vlad. Even more, he told me that he wanted to send the books to me in France as it is way more cheaper. From here, he wanted me to give his books for free to anybody in the world, providing that the person pays shipping cost. That shows Vladís despair and generosity. I refused and told him not to give up magic, that those books are more than just his, they are part of him. I convinced him to try anything to keep them. So the idea of godundme came to me. Iíve seen very generous donators who have given a lot of money, but just a bunch of dollars would be sufficient if a lot of people give.

You are right, I was thinking Vlad was back in the US, but he is still in the Netherlands. Danny, the garbage risk is not from the postal service, but would come from his ex wifeÖ
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Hi all,

A couple of updates:

I received the troubling news that my father is petitioning for release from prison. In my long post I mentioned that he is serving two consecutive life terms plus 63 years for two murders, a number of arsons, racketeering, and other crimes. I have to do all I can to prevent his release as he has threatened my mom and others. So when I hit the ground in America, on top of all, that fight begins. (I can forward the news story about him to anyone in America if you want to know. EU laws prohibit viewing some newspaper/news site due to EU/EEA Privacy Laws. I offer this to anyone still questioning the veracity of what's going on).

I have been in contact with a dear friend of mine who volunteered to help we with a plane ticket. So things are close to wrapping up here.

I want to thank each and every one of you for your words of encouragement. To say I am humbled is a gross understatement. Please know that you have all helped ME through the years far more than I have helped you I suspect and for that I am eternally grateful.

Danny, I know it's been a while but thank you for reaching out. I appreciate your solution but for me to try to pay shipping for the books even to Belgium is way more than I can afford. When I had suggested to Rachmaninov that he could care for them and give them away to magicians he judged in need, I was wracking my brain to create a way to get them to France somehow. He talked me out of that and I think that giving up magic would be like giving up the biggest fight of my life waiting in America. I am no quitter. I still hope to be able once I am back to performing again to help magicians in need by gifting resources to them in the form of gifts from Lybrary.com. It gets them resources and they don't have to pay shipping. But, that's a ways down the road. As for the books, it's do or die. THAT SAID, however this turns out, I cannot thank you all enough for your support.

You have my love and gratitude everyone! Your prayers are needed and give me strength.

Blessings,
Vlad
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of supremefiction
Vlad, I am not in a position to contribute money but if it matters I send my support. I do not know how I might help as I don't have much specific subject matter expertise that might apply but if there is something I might do by all means send a PM.

It's easy to be glib in this setting, but I will say this--from what little I know of you I have faith you can get through this and I urge you to keep the faith.
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

One thought got me chuckling, maybe you too--Im sure at minimum the vast majority of members here would be pleased to mail you a brick of new decks if you're ever lacking. As far as that goes, if I may paraphrase, you're the richest man in town.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2018, supremefiction wrote:
One thought got me chuckling, maybe you too--Im sure at minimum the vast majority of members here would be pleased to mail you a brick of new decks if you're ever lacking. As far as that goes, if I may paraphrase, you're the richest man in town.

Am I? I appreciate your first comment and yes I will get through this. I am not here to beg. Your words in your first post heartened me. I opened my soul in answering questions that people rightly have. I hope that you do not find that act of mine to be one subject to levity. That said - and again I thank you for your words of encouragement - this second post of yours is rather cruel unless I have mistaken your meaning.

I am not here to beg. And if I lose everything, what I will remember are the kind words I've read in this thread including yours. This community gave me a lot over the years and I am and shall be forever grateful. No, I would not ask for even a single Joker from the community. You should now know me a little better. In fact, I shall ask Rachmaninov to cease the GoFundMe and the funds returned or donated. I am not sure how these things work.

Thank you again and I hope this message finds you well supremefiction.

Best,
Vlad
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

I'm very sorry. It was no editorial on you or your situation, just a weird thought and any levity was dirtected at myself and the mentality of people like me.
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

If you've seen the movie I quoted from it means the richest man is the one with many friends, and I guess in my unfortunate way I was saying you have many friends here. I apologize.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2018, supremefiction wrote:
If you've seen the movie I quoted from it means the richest man is the one with many friends, and I guess in my unfortunate way I was saying you have many friends here. I apologize.

No apologies needed. I get your point and I do know my wealth but I thank you for reminding me, I truly do. I just misunderstood the "chuckle" part. My friend I wish I could chuckle. As I write this, I am looking at this library that is so much MORE than that. I have to come to terms with the fact that a lifetime is going to be gone. Magic was one of the things that saved my life my friend and I do mean that literally. Now when I return to America, I have to take on the biggest fight of my life. IF the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania releases my "father" from prison, he may well act on his threats to murder my mom. I am even considering buying a Glock and an open and concealed carry license for my protection. I abhor violence yet I believe in self-preservation. I never ever dreamed I would ever consider carrying a firearm. I must navigate the court system, federal and state to prevent a miscarriage of justice. I will gladly PM you the link to the newspaper article.

I AM wealthy. This community and this art enriched me. Do you know what means more to me than the donations? The PMs I received plus the open posts here - including yours - that have heartened me. People apologized for not having the means to donate. No apologies were needed because what each of them and you gave me may not get my library home but I received MUCH more, namely, the true gift of hearts that all the wealth of kings and David Copperfield combined.

I still rehearse but I do not have the heart to open any of my books anymore. I should be out of the Netherlands by month's end. All that is left is to get enough meds to tide me over. So my HOPE is that MAYBE there will be a way I can appeal to the netter angel of another's nature and have the books given to a magic club in Holland for instance. It could be that there's an abused kid whose life *I* can save with the help of every mentor I had in those books.

I apologize for misunderstanding your reference and your intent. I hope you'll forgive me in that I am not exactly thinking clearly.

I used to use the following when I would post, and I feel that it is quite appropriate now:

Namaste
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
835 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Donít give up your books Vlad ! We all know you will regret that decision later. We understand you are not in a state of mind which allow you to relax or to read magic books. Please prepare boxes with your books inside, and just before you left Europe, you will take the money from gofundme and send as much boxes as you can, maybe the one you cherish the most. Take the remaining parcels to a friendís house in the Netherlands, and when you will be well settled in the US, you will make them travel back to you.
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

No problem. I have a couple of ideas--they are brilliant, or maybe stupid--that I will send you via PM.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1454 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
I'm sure you've already thought of that before but as Rachmaninov just said, you have got to know SOMEBODY in the Netherlands that wouldn't mind keeping a few boxes for safe keeping for a while. That way you can just get one box at a time shipped to you at your convenience
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
815 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
It has taken me a while to appreciate Vlad. I just recently got into cards and now appreciate him so much more.
But also, I know him through someone else who knew him, and it was good. I suffered a divorce where I did something stupid and almost died and got in legal trouble. It was only directed to myself because of the horror of being abandoned by someone you loved, who could take your kids too.
But in a strange way, I understand. So I can pray and ask you if you are able to help Vlad out. God bless you all. Yes, I had all my business stuff thrown out when I was locked up........ by my ex. Dear Vlad, I am praying for you. God can really help you and others can too.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8385 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Love the man!
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Michael Wells
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Michael Wells
This drive is moving too slowly. Since we're magicians helping magicians, let's get on this and get it done. There are enough of us here who could donate a small amount we wouldn't even miss, and it could make a big difference for Vlad. Here's the link again: https://www.gofundme.com/save-vlad-library
You can do this and you'll feel better about the whole thing.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1223 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I agree, Michael. There are over sixty thousand of us here. I don't know how many are active, but if a total of 200 people gave 10 euros each (currently $11.43 -- compare that to a dinner out or a new magic book), we'd be there. And I'll bet Vlad has touched far more than 200 of us and made our lives better.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
835 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Itís exactly what I think. And itís what I wrote for that campaign. Iím a little sad to see that at this time, 13 people only have made a donation, 842 people have visited the campaign page, more than 2000 on this thread. I donít know if you can see who give what. I think there is some privacy in that regard, but someone has given 125 euros ! Thatís incredibly generous ! But like you said Bob, the main idea was that a few hundreds people would give a bunch of dollars, which is nothing for most of people, and we could remove a big stress from Vladís shoulders.
Thanks again everyone ! Iím going to give a little money again !

Iíve reached vanishing inc to see if they can send a little message to each customer at the end of their order, as they did last year for a guy who lost everything in a fire. I know they are super busy and Iím waiting for their answer. Any other idea is welcome.
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Maestro
Maybe a local magic club, magician or magic shop would hold them for you?
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Regular user
UK
155 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
I've contributed.....I have always valued Vlad's contributions and I wish him well
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ The workers Ľ Ľ Save Vladís magic library (44 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL