The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Save Vlad’s magic library (44 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
889 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Maestro, your suggestion is an idea we have if we don’t gather sufficient money. But those boxes would stay for a long time until Vlad’s would be well settled in the US.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1463 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Have you guys looked into the cost of sea freight VS air freight for international shipping? Makes a big difference in price.
Shawn Evans
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Shawn Evans
I haven't been on the Café much in the past few years, but Vlad is always generous with his time, and knowledge. I can't think of anyone on this forum that I have had more pleasant and helpful interactions with over the last 10 years. I am so glad I decided to stop in and see what was going on in the magic world. I sincerely hope that more than the 21 people who have donated can help with this.

Shawn
I took the Pledge

" The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." - Albert Einstein
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
889 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Thanks for your kind words Shawn.

Bobby, it is a sea container shipping. By air, it would cost a fortune. From what I know, the cost is by m3.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
889 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Hi guys,
We are at 670 euros. More than 1000 views. Things are going well.
Michael Wells
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Michael Wells
Stalled out at 670 euros. (Maybe Vlad could offer a premium for donating, such as, an invitation to come over and look through his books for some limited period of time once they're set up in the states). In any case I'm going to go donate again as a way of encouraging the rest of you to follow suit. The way I see it, this isn't just an opportunity to help save his library, but a way of reminding him that the universe has good things in store for him, not just torment. The rebirth of hope. How much is that worth? Who else is in?

https://www.gofundme.com/save-vlad-library
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1214 Posts

Profile of magicman29
Just contributed, is there anyway this thread can be posted on other sections of the Café? I think the more people on here know about this thread the more chance of getting more donations.

Kieran
Alan M
View Profile
Veteran user
California
399 Posts

Profile of Alan M
Good idea Kieran. I just posted some info in the "Looking Out for Our Own" section of the forum: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=61

I hope it helps.

-Alan
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
889 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Thanks for posting this on other threads. Thing is I’ve contacted the webmaster asking for the permission to post a message on Vlad’s issues. Nobody answered me…So I just did it on two parts of the café.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1438 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Does anyone know which branches of magic Vlad is most interested in? We could share the work of posting to the appropriate categories.

And Rachmaninov, I imagine the moderators are quite busy -- couldn't hurt to send a reminder.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
889 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Yes, I think they just didn’t answer because it was the quickest way to say yes. At least, not to say no…

Vlad is most interested by card magic. But I would say that his cognitive abilities and art sensibilities make him open minded to a lot of subjects, related or not to magic.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Hey all,

I hope you will forgive the radio silence. Tying up things here and arranging things from 7000 plus kilometres away has been insane. Add to that trying to just keep a low profile and making sure I have enough meds to give me a safe cushion while I learn to navigate the American health system is a real relief - and quite the tightrope walk; the Wallendas would be proud.

I've read a few posts stating that people are sorry that we did not make the goal. Don't be sorry please? I wish I could share the tons of messages I've received filled with prayers and hopes! You see, my goal of finally having a real life is now in sight thanks to ALL of you and there is no dollar/Euro amount that can be put on that.

Bob, I love virtually all branches of magic and of course I have to include mentalism too. There are really just two areas that hold little to no interest for me and they are illusions and escapes. I appreciate the skill of the latter. As for illusions, well, I like to "do the work" myself. Smile Beyond card magic I love coin and other close up magic. Every once in a great while in the past I've ventured with some trepidation into the coin magic section of the Café Anyhow, my library is a nice little collection that spans card magic, close-up, and mentalism.

And Rachmaninov is right that I am into a LOT of non-magic areas of interest as well. I am a committed life long animal rights activist, amateur historian, and, well, to put it succinctly, I love to learn at least three new things about everything everyday. (Geeze, this is sounding like a form one would fill out for a dating site! Smile). I will arrange to donate those books to a school and/or library.

I'm not a magic club type of person so having my magic resources cared for by a magic club was never really an option. I know one magician here very well, Ferry Gerats. The man is a real prince and one hell of a magician. There is another Dutch magician here who used to post a lot but I have not seen many posts from him in ages.

All of your hopes, prayers, and wishes, as well as the donations from those who could will allow me to begin to live again. I wrote privately to Rachmaninov that freedom is going to taste strange but wonderfully so. When I hit the ground in America, my priority is to fight to keep my "father" in prison. That said, being able to kickstart my magic again will of course be good for mundane reasons - money to live - but also a break from the formidable task that awaits.

I've read SO many comments during all of this about how I have given to the community. Truth is my friends, this community has given to ME far more than I think it realizes. Over the years I have been able to become friends with some truly amazing people. They have given unstintingly of their knowledge and their humanity. So you see, I AM truly blessed, even if I wouldn't be able to get more than a few books home! I wrote at some point in this thread that magic literally saved my life. Thanks to Rachmaninov who started this campaign and to all who have "donated" prayers and such, it has again.

Once the resources arrive, I want to make a YouTube video and I want you to see my thanks as I do a few unboxings. Someone mentioned coming by and having a look at my stuff. While my library is not like that of Lawrence O, I think it's a pretty good working library; after all, books are meant to be learned from, so, come and read and we'll learn together.

The words "thank you" are woefully inadequate and if I listed the names of all who have been true friends to me here in this community through the years, I fear that Steve's servers would go supernova. To these people, I hope and pray that you know somehow how deeply blessed I feel that we have gotten to know one another here in the Green Monster.

Thank you my friends for giving me a chance a light and life again. There is no more precious gift than friendship, nothing more holy than when we reach out to one another.

You have my deep love and profound respect. You are angels all.

With love,
Joe
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
889 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Thanks for those kind words Vlad. As you just opened your soul to others in the precedent post, all of us can feel who you are. And we are very lucky to have you in this community.

We will find a way so EVERY magical stuff pertaining to Vlad will follow him. A few days ago, a fellow magician who wishes to remain anonymous, reached out to me to generously offer dollar for dollar match for every donation made. We will make it !
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1438 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Rachmaninov, this is fantastic news -- many thanks to the anonymous donor. Am I right in assuming that the donor's offer applies to the money that's already been contributed in addition to future donations? If so, then the current total is

2 x 670 euros = 1340 euros. So we need an additional 660 euros to get up to the needed 2000. Since the anonymous donor will be matching our contributions, the rest of us just need to contribute a total of 330 euros. So, for instance, if a mere 10 people contributed 33 euros each (probably approximately $40), we'd be there! This is definitely doable.

Rachmaninov, given Vlad's interest in nearly all branches of magic, I'd like to volunteer to copy your original message and add it to some of the other categories, like coins -- with your permission, of course. Time being short in my life (as it is with most of us), I'm hoping that others will also volunteer. So for now I'll just volunteer for coins, and see who else volunteers.

But Vlad, I want to ask whether you have a big enough footprint on the "Green Monster" in other branches of magic. In other words, do enough people know you on the Café outside of the cards categories that we'd be likely to get contributions?

And Vlad, you're an inspiration to all of us. Many -- perhaps most -- of us have experienced tragedy. I mentioned to you privately my father's early death and the effect it's had on me throughout my life. My experience pales before the horror of yours, but we each have to fight our own battles, and I empathize with you, to the extent that I can even imagine what you went through. Because of my own experience, I deeply admire people like you who are fighters -- you're not giving up.

And remember, Vlad (Joe), that it feels *good* to help other people, so that, in the complicated and paradoxical way that life comes at us, you're helping *us* by letting us help you.

With love and hope,

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1438 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi again, folks. I just checked the current total and it's 790 euros. So the situation is even better than I realized.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1438 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Sorry to clog up the airwaves. I was wrong. It's 800 euros.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
889 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
« You are helping us by letting us helping you » said Bob. So true !
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1438 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I just posted a plea for contributions under "Nothing up my sleeve." I find the categories confusing (though I enjoy their names), so I hope that was a good one.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
First I want to wish those who celebrate a Happy Thanksgiving. I am thankful for this community and the friendships I've forged through the years. And again I want to thank all of you who have been sending prayers and hopes, they are most assuredly welcome! To all who donated to this campaign, the phrase "thank you" seems woefully inadequate, please know that I do not take any of this for granted.

Second, I am told that there is an anonymous donor who wishes to match Euro for Euro the donations made. I am so blessed by your generosity but, I feel that such a sum may be a hardship for you. I would rather just be able to get part of my magic resources back than perhaps creating a hardship for you. I know it is your choice and I am so thankful for such a gesture. I must ask however that you please save your money. Such a sum is really far too much. I hope you understand that whomever you are, you have my deepest gratitude for proposing such a selfless act. If you could keep me in your hopes and prayers, that would be wonderful. Now of course, if you happen to Bill Gates, well ... Smile

Folks, I want to thank all of you again for your reaching out! Will be creating a page when everything gets moving. I'll be scanning the paperwork so all can see exactly what the costs are so that you know that your kindness was well used.

Lastly, I want to thank my friend Rachmaninov. We have been communicating and I feel as though I have found a brother I never knew I had. Bless you mon ami.

Bless all of you!
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Special user
889 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I want to thank Vlad publicly for his generosity and kindness.

The anonymous donator has fortunately maintained his offer despite Vlad’s last post. So we are almost there, only 200 euros are missing…
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Save Vlad’s magic library (44 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL